Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:29 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnalia View Post
My experience with Postmates so far has been some ups, mostly downs.

The pro is that the scheduling is flexible, you can tinker with your hours almost as much as you want.
People post swaps all the time, so if you want extra, they pop up a lot.
The people that run the CS department are really nice.

The at being said there are several cons.

1. I went for 2 hours last night and couldn't claim a single ticket. 512 people were logged into Slack.

2. The rating system.. that just plain stinks. I have noticed that 98% of the calls I make wind up being to people who barely speak any English at all. This is probably the hardest part of the job. I try very hard to speak very clearly, but a lot of the time, their accent is so thick that I can not understand them, or vice versa. They need to take that into consideration for their rating system because most all of the orders I seem to get are for Asian or Indian food.

I do not like the rating system at all because of this fact, and think that it will wind up biting Postmates in the butt if they don't ditch that system.
I have not fallen below the required 4.78 -yet- but that rating looming over my head is very stressful.

3. Scheduling hours, while it is extremely flexible, I have found that most of the time, especially with the May 4th-10th schedule, all the slots were completely full by time I check it. How am I supposed to commit to 10 hours if all the shifts are full by then?
They specifically say you MUST sign up for at least 10 hours, but on the schedule the hours I could work were almost all gone.
I have to cross my fingers and hope that some swaps come open in the time slot I can work in.

4. The manual and slack leaders often contradict one another, and sometimes you don't get an answer to questions.

I think once they hammer all the kinks out, though this will still be a great little gig for extra money.
I concur with you wholeheartedly on all of your points. This is exactly how I feel about Postmates right now. I can't even get access to the schedule. I've gotten a warning about my rating, but as you state, when you have merchants with accents that are hard to understand & vice versa, they don't understand you that creates a situation where orders may get messed up. I spend a lot of time on these types of calls making sure the merchant understands the order. I feel that I am being dinged unfairly. It could be anybody's fault that an order is messed up, not just the order placer.

Hopefully, they will clear up all these issues and get rid of the rating system. I mean honestly the pay doesn't justify spending a lot of time on calls. If we spend 5 or more minutes on calls, we wouldn't be able to get very many orders placed in an hour. as it is I'm only averaging about $3.50 to $4.50 an hour & that just plain sucks and is a waste of my time. I haven't been able to make much more than $30 or $35 for 10 hours of work. I had hoped to at least make $65 for 10 hours of work, but it just doesn't work out that way.

I agree about the 10 hr commitment requirement also. How can we adhere to that, if we're not able to get open slots during the times we can work? They have a lot of things to reconsider, or I'm afraid people will not want to work for them. I hope they do get their issues ironed out.

Last edited by LadyMia; 05-03-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2015, 11:17 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMia View Post
I concur with you wholeheartedly on all of your points. This is exactly how I feel about Postmates right now. I can't even get access to the schedule. I've gotten a warning about my rating, but as you state, when you have merchants with accents that are hard to understand & vice versa, they don't understand you that creates a situation where orders may get messed up. I spend a lot of time on these types of calls making sure the merchant understands the order. I feel that I am being dinged unfairly. It could be anybody's fault that an order is messed up, not just the order placer.

Hopefully, they will clear up all these issues and get rid of the rating system. I mean honestly the pay doesn't justify spending a lot of time on calls. If we spend 5 or more minutes on calls, we wouldn't be able to get very many orders placed in an hour. as it is I'm only averaging about $3.50 to $4.50 an hour & that just plain sucks and is a waste of my time. I haven't been able to make much more than $30 or $35 for 10 hours of work. I had hoped to at least make $65 for 10 hours of work, but it just doesn't work out that way.

I agree about the 10 hr commitment requirement also. How can we adhere to that, if we're not able to get open slots during the times we can work? They have a lot of things to reconsider, or I'm afraid people will not want to work for them. I hope they do get their issues ironed out.

Sounds like we are in the exact same boat.
I'm not making what I had hoped to make either, about the same amount you are making, most of that revolving around orders being grabbed up by time I hit claim.

The rating system is a terrible idea.. yes I understand wanting good customer service, but when 98% of the calls you make are answered by someone with a very thick asian/spanish/indian accent then yes, there are going to be problems.

I have been reading about postmates on some other facebook pages. They are being sued and have already had at least 3 of their clients drop them.

If they don't straighten a few things out, they will lose out to other delivery services.

I mean I'm happy for the opportunity to work, don't get me wrong, and they have some nice leads, but it isn't really turning out to be what I was hoping for.

I went back and checked my scores, and I was dinged Friday at 4.79 and I can pretty much guess which orders those were. I had a very hard time with 2 orders in particular with Asian restaurants no matter how clear I tried to speak.

I just don't know if I'll stay on with this, the stress of that score looming over my head makes my stomach tighten up on every call when the person answering has an accent.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:40 PM
WAHM Regular

Hearing all the less than positive feedbacks makes me nervous about starting next week
Old 05-04-2015, 12:43 PM
Super WAHM

I start tomorrow. Only an hour, but am very nervous!!
Old 05-04-2015, 01:08 PM
WAHM Regular

For those just starting.. don't expect a ton of orders unless you get the busy hours, which if they start getting orders piling up, they email everyone and tell them to jump on, but for me at least, I get about 1 order every 5 minutes.

It's an easy job, and I love that I can jump up and run to the restroom, grab a drink, ect. For someone whose disabled, this job is a God send.

The only two problems I have are the rating system and the scheduling that we are expected to schedule ourselves for 10 hours but 9 times out of 10, all the time slots I can work are closed already.

If you can work weekends though, those time slots are almost always open.

But.. the good news is, it's work and it's better than nothing!

Last edited by ahnalia; 05-04-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:40 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebasedwork View Post
Is it me or are the Slack messages totally contradicting the manual they sent out for training? It is confusing the heck out of me.
I'm with you on this one. I was sitting back and just reading Slack messages the last few days while shaking my head at all of the contradiction.

I also saw a post from one of the Leads that encourage everyone to try stay within the 2:00 minute average. Well, from many of the orders I've taken, if you can just get them to answer the phone, and not put you on hold, you just might be able to pull it off, but it also depends on the length of the order itself. I just don't think 2 minutes is realistic in this aspect, especially with having to make notes or what not. I did see a few folks concerned that their timing of calls would throw their "average" off, I had no clue that it really mattered because if it does, then I should be concerned.

I don't agree to the rating system, because you can call out the order correctly to the merchant via the phone all you want, but someone could still mess it up or forget to put something in the order. That makes me a little worried, not much, but since everything is still new, I'm very curious to see how everything will work once the kinks wear off.

On a side note, it would be interesting if their platform can be updated to add notes to the Courier when you COT it, or even when putting in the Make Ready time, it would be a great asset in my opinion. I hope everyone is enjoying the start of the new week
Old 05-04-2015, 03:01 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebasedwork View Post
I start tomorrow. Only an hour, but am very nervous!!
Good Luck!
Old 05-04-2015, 03:01 PM
WAHM Regular

I do agree about the hours, to be able to literally claim orders, the best time would be during their busy times, and I assume its the hours with the little symbol of lightening next to them. I've been receiving texts that state when the schedules are up, and I wasn't really able to grab them as I saw them available but the slots were open for a while. If you sign up to receive the texts, you can easily grab as many hours as you want and leave them well ahead of time. I would suggest using the website on a smart phone or some sort of tablet if you're not able to do it at a physical PC. The text comes with a link to make it easily accessible, you just have to know your log-in information.

I'm not stressing myself out about the rating system as I will greatly dispute any issue do to the fact the rating system is not built on a fair or solid foundation. Since I completed my first week and was able to figure out what the better hours would be to pick up, I prefer to try and do hours when there are claims after claims waiting to be done because otherwise than that, you're really just wasting your time and will not even make near minimum wage. I screwed myself over last night as I picked up hours from 12am-2am thinking it was in my timezone, I totally forgot it was in PST time, so when I logged in, 2 of those hours were taken in a swap but I had to work one and I DID NOT even pick up nearly 10 calls for that hour. Talk about my fault, but I did learn however. I will stick with PM as long as I see fit, well, my little rant is over, lol.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:32 PM
WAHM Regular

Are you guys trying to work Friday, Saturday and or Sundays. Saturday There was a huge boxing fight going on and right before and after the orders went major ballistic. I do believe if it gets busy you can jump on
and help out. sheryl
Old 05-04-2015, 03:36 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheryl318 View Post
Are you guys trying to work Friday, Saturday and or Sundays. Saturday There was a huge boxing fight going on and right before and after the orders went major ballistic. I do believe if it gets busy you can jump on
and help out. sheryl
I was working during the MAYPAC (watching it too, lol) fight and it was pretty busy to say the least. The thing is I got confused yet again at the hours as I picked up some hours that were being swapped. I received text messages that made me believe I was late so I was confused at why I was able to just jump in and claim orders. Lol, but I figured out its something you can do if it gets busy or whatnot but I ended up working extra than what I previously signed up for due to my confusion.

Many of the places I called were so busy cause of the fight and the hold times were a little longer but it was cool working through an event as such. I'll have to keep up with the sporting event dates, like the upcoming NBA Finals, I'm sure those particular nights when the final 2 teams start playing and the ultimate showdown will be busy days that I will surely be working.