Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:48 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Default Work At Home Seems to Mean Work for Cheap

Sorry, but I have to vent. I have been working at home for two years and just got laid off from a home based employee position with a half way descent salary. It started out as a terribly paying IC position and was a stepping stone, but since the economy sucks and my company had to cut back, I am now back to the drawing board looking for work at home.

Why is it that employers feel it is ok to pay a terrible wage and demand top notch skills and in many cases a degree and spotless background? They love to point out the fact that you will save money on clothing and gasoline expense. While true, the money most of them save by not paying benefits, social security tax, unemployment insurance is huge. Not to mention the fact that most use our equipment, our internet, our home office and electricity all for free causing them no overhead. They could bump the amount of pay significantly and still be ahead.

I am not sure who can live on $8-$10 per hour. I know I can't.

I refuse to apply to these call center jobs that have been around forever offering the same low wages for a miserable job taking back to back calls while sealing myself in a room for 8 hours at a time. Their pay never seems to increase, yet the cost of everything else does.

Never thought I would be drawing unemployment and I hope I don't have to for long, but I refuse to take a job that is barely above minimum wage just because I work out of my home office. Anyone else feel the same?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2014, 05:09 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Work At Home Seems to Mean Work for Cheap

I totally agree with you! It seems the harder you work the less money you make because of the expenses you end up eating like phone bill costs etc...
Old 11-09-2014, 05:20 PM
Awesome WAHM

Default hey..

I agree with you too BUT I have decided to apply for higher paying positions and see if I at least get a chance for an interview..it works sometimes...I'm not going to give up..I know what I am worth..
Old 11-09-2014, 05:22 PM
WAHM Addict

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's feeling this way. I actually did feel like I was alone in thinking this. I used to make pretty good bank off of writing but that's really dried up now days too
Old 11-09-2014, 05:38 PM
WAHM Regular

Yep. Plus so many of them try to mess about with when you are an IC, treating you like an employee. I bet they save a ton without paying for all their reps electricity, internet, phones, supplies, computers etc, computer repair.

Just think for a moment, Example you have a business and there is a large room of 20 reps at a time with 3 shifts = 24 hours in some cases, 20 computers, 20 phones, monitors, etc Plus the room has to have electricity, and be warm or cooled down, right? They must be saving huge by having home workers instead. You would think they would and should pay more.

Honestly I think the ploy of us not needing to gas up our cars or buy work clothes to pay us less and try to get us to think we are saving money is offensive because that isn't their business not should it be considered in what they pay us home workers.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:44 PM
WAHM Regular

yep. the WAH jobs max out at 10/hr. and the ones that pay above that are very selective in who they hire
Old 11-09-2014, 07:06 PM
WAHM Master

Try and find one that pays salary plus commission.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:26 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Thanks. Glad to know I am not alone. There are some better paying jobs but Miss Amber is right, they are scarce. I just get tired of being told my work it worth less because I don't have to pay for gas or buy a wardrobe. I could also tell them my electric bills are higher because someone is home all of the time and I have to replace my computer equipment more frequently because of the wear and tear. In addition, I pay for higher cost business class internet service so my connection will be fast and efficient when I work.

I am all for allowing the free market to work. I believe employers should pay what they deem appropriate, but I hate the argument that the low pay is based on my cost savings that will be achieved by taking their job.

Trying to decide right now whether to keep looking for something at home, go back and work outside the house or try to start something on my own. I have never been unemployed in my life and had two other jobs I gave up because of the promises of a raise if I did a good job on this one that just layed me off. It was even in my contract.

Malea, that is a good suggestion, but sales is just not my thing. I have done it before and can do it if I have to, but I never enjoy it.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:17 AM
Super WAHM

Just a few thoughts on what you had to say. Please note that I am not trying to come off as rude or mean. I apologize if that is how it comes across. This is just my own opinion, experience and take on working at home.

1. The economy dried up. I doubt any brick and mortar place will pay you much better than WAHM at this time, plus you would only have limited hours, due to economy again. In fact, I make more money working at home than I did working outside of the home.

2. Take what you can get. Beggars cannot be choosers and this economy is a prime example of that. Some money is better than no money and you can continue to look while you have an income coming in.

3. Create your own leads. Do not just rely on Craigslist or other job listing sites.

4. If you have the will, you will find a way to find a job you desire. Looking for work is work. Anything worthwhile will not come easy.

Good luck and keep plugging away. You will get somewhere with your search.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:32 AM
WAHM Master

I totally agree with you!!! I was making $16.25 at my B&M job in NC when we moved in August. So to accept jobs making minimum wage-$9.00 hr. average sucks! Yes when you look at pros versus cons I am saving on gas, clothing, lunches, etc... But I am still the same dedicated, loyal employee with extensive experience I was at the B&M job. To make matters worse, chances are the type of jobs I am being offered I will never even get a chance to rise to that. Because all they seem to want is a person glued to phone. I am in a position with a senior dog with a large tumor that I am trying to stay home for. Otherwise, I would just go out and look for another B&M job where I can show my worth, get benefits and paid time off. Go to the bathroom without being asked why I logged out! lol

Last edited by Trese; 11-10-2014 at 10:33 AM.