Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Telecommuting

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Registered WAHM

Post Proofreading or Editing jobs from home?

Hello, fellow work-at-homers! Thank you in advance for your help...

I'm looking for at-home proofreading or editing jobs. I have my B.A. and years of experience. Many of the sites I've run across only need writers. And the proofreading jobs I've found pay around $1 or $2.50 or $5 to proof an entire article. I've signed up for some sites, p***ed their tests, and then work doesn't materialize. I haven't been able to find anything substantial. Has anyone out there been successful in finding work-at-home proofreading or copyediting jobs?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Registered WAHM

Hi TheCleaner,

I also do editing and proofreading from home, and yes, it can be a struggle to find good jobs. However, it's not impossible. If you haven't already, try CopyPress, eLance, Demand Studios/Demand Media, ProBlogger, BloggingPro, Journalismjobs.com (search for Telecommute jobs), and People Per Hour. Also, believe it or not, Craigslist can be good for finding jobs in this line of work; look under the writing/editing jobs section for all of the major U.S. cities, and limit your search to "telecommute."

I hope that helps. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Grand WAHM

You may also want to look into writing too. There is a great writing section on the forum. This would give you more options to pursue.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:33 PM
Registered WAHM

Thank you both for your help and advice. It's been very hard finding work. Freelance jobs used to be plentiful, and now it's the opposite. And the field has become very competitive, so your feedback is extremely appreciated. Thank you for your generosity in sharing your knowledge.

Another Q: Do either of you proofread for transcription companies, or is that too far of a stretch from regular proofreading/copyediting??
Old 06-11-2014, 06:02 AM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCleaner View Post
Another Q: Do either of you proofread for transcription companies, or is that too far of a stretch from regular proofreading/copyediting??
Transcription editing could be another option for you. However, in my limited experience in this particular area, I have seen these types of roles mostly going to people who have previous transcription experience. If you're a fast typist, it might be worth your while to look into that area generally, though.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:34 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I too have seen good leads for editing, but you will have to really search out your higher paying job leads as they aren't often seen on free forums like this one, I've seen them on sites Pe8nut has suggested along with paid job lead sites that I belong to.

I would also go to the larger media companies websites individually and search within their 'career' links to see if they hire wah editors and apply to any who may offer work that you are interested in. Colleges & Universities may also offer editing work sporadically.

Another 'out of the box' option may be test scoring for one of the larger testing companies. Although seasonal work, it is one of the higher paying job options for those looking to work at home and does involve work using your English Language skills - apply to score essays or English tests. (these jobs do involve testing for applicants)

My experience is the bidding sites (like odesk, elance and such) and cloud sourcing work are where you will find the lowest of the low end work - although some people do have success stories of working into the higher paying assignments.

Best wishes
Old 06-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Registered WAHM

Thank you, Pe8nut and msuggitt, for your candid advice, helpful leads, and for being so generous with information.

I've looked at some of the bidding sites and have found 20-plus people bidding on one job. Demand Studios isn't currently accepting applications, and I hope that changes. ProofreadNow.com has no openings right now. I have applied at the local university, but haven't heard back. I did apply for a couple jobs on CraigsList, but the pay turned out to be very, very low. BloggingPro is a good site for job listings. So is Morning Coffee. I took the English Language writing test on ClickWorker, and qualified, but no jobs have materialized to that end; I think I've made 50 cents doing their mini jobs.

Have either of you had any luck with Purecontent, Content Divas, TextMaster, or Domainite?

I have seen a few membership sites, such as Flex Jobs, Virtual Vocations, and HEA Employment, but I don't know if their leads are worth the cost of membership. Some of the listings on HEA either appeared outdated, or I could find them for free by searching the web.

I keep reading about others having success finding proofing jobs online, but I'm just not seeing it myself...
Old 06-16-2014, 04:19 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Default Another Current Editing Lead

Here's another lead I just found over on moneymakingmommy.com - she reviews Dragonfly read carefully to see if you are a match and how to get your name in if you do.

From my personal experience I'd scratch the HEA off your paid membership list- just from my experience - old and limited leads and haven't heard anyone actually finding work through them plus for years they've been pushing promoting the site to paid members as 'work'

Last edited by msuggitt; 06-16-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Registered WAHM

Thank you for your helpful advice on HEA. At least it's one less place to keep checking. I feel like I spend more time looking for work than actually working. I applied to Dragonfly and took their editing test last week; I'm waiting to hear back. I've applied at WordFirm and CrowdSource and GSR as well. The work seems to have dried up everywhere...
Old 06-18-2014, 07:25 AM
Registered WAHM

We are currently seeking editors as well if you want to apply:

We're looking for a solid team of US Editors for longer content. Each piece of content is between 750-850 words in length. (This project is ongoing)

Editors will work with our CTMS.

Responsibilities:
- Able to commit to at least 20 hours per week
- Understand the style guide details (all 10 pages of it)
- Ensure each guide follows client's style guidelines
- Check for spelling, grammar, tone, and other editing
- Communicate with writers and editors with pending revisions
- Editors: Help coach new writers with positive, helpful feedback

If you are interested, review the Style Guide (http://goo.gl/eztgIs) and submit the application (http://goo.gl/00krlQ). If you pass the test, you'll be put into a paid trial of editing 2 Buying Guides.

More About Buying Guides:
Highly in-depth and large-scale articles, the buying guides cover all the possible variables in the decision making process and buying process. They are purely factual articles that have well-formulated hierarchical structures.

Informs the reader about an individual product - or family of products - in great detail, including but not limited to the product's origins, various types, components/parts, and customization options, along with benefits (and, where applicable, any concerns).

Shows the reader how to complete an action regarding the product(s), whether it's buying, selling, appraising, customizing, installing, or buying/selling on eBay.

Highlights the benefits and/or possibilities of using the product(s)

Ultimately, helps the reader come to a purchasing decision. The writer does this by crafting a purely objective, factual article without injecting personal opinion.

Tags
copy editing, copy editor, proofreader, proofreading