Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:58 PM
WAHM Regular

Default I don't know what to do

So, this is going to be very ranty and emotional and crazy but I'm very upset and at the end of my rope and this site is the only place I know of to reach to where people might understand or have any suggestions. I will do more research on my own, of course, but not until I calm down.

My husband just called me to inform me that he was all but offered a great job. We've been unemployed since he lost his job the day. after. Christmas. Seriously. Our unemployment is up in less than four weeks. This was such great news. Except, because he is under a non-compete clause from the agency that let him go (THE DAY AFTER BLEEPING CHRISTMAS) he cannot have this job, through this new agency. We live in rural Illinois and he's already looking for jobs over an hour away. We can't move because we simply don't have the money to do so. We have zero in savings. If even that. We have a two year old, so even if I could work out of the home, which I pretty much can't because I have an anxiety disorder so crippling that I sometimes can't leave the house for days on end, we'd have to have daycare, which is ridiculously expensive. I'm trying to be strong and not let everyone else get stressed out but I'm really not seeing the light any longer. We rent, so if we had to leave this house, it's going to be really hard for anyone to see why they should rent to us, when we don't have jobs. He's even tried fast food, which was really hard for him to swallow at first, but realizes that we have to take anything, even if it means working two jobs, or more. I feel useless because I can't work a normal job. I need to help.

I do some things on here but I'm barely making anything. I feel like I must be doing this incorrectly or something because I see people on here talk about how nice some of these eggs are and I just can't make them work.

I do:

mturk
textbroker
virtualbee
I just started at influential publishers

I also have accounts at postloop, slicethepie, and probably others that I'm too upset to think about right now.

I can't do a phone job, because even when the husband is home to watch the baby, our house is so small with such thin walls, that there is no way I could have a quiet work space anywhere. And we can't afford for him to leave with the kid all day so I can work, plus, he's obviously going to, hopefully, get some sort of job soon, even if it's minimum wage.

I can write, though this post probably seems contrary to that fact.

I type over 100+ wpm on a good day, 80+ on a bad day.

I've tried sites like Odesk and Elance and I find them overwhelming. I've never actually worked a job on one of those.

What can I do? What am I missing here? How do you get yourself organized to figure out what you can actually make money with?

If anyone has any advice, or personal experience, or can help me figure anything out, please let me know. I'd really appreciate it. I understand that people don't like to reply with numbers and amounts a lot, and I get that, but if you think you know something that could help me, please consider sending me a private message, and know that I won't pass along any info you are kind enough to give me.

I apologize in advance because I'm sure when I feel better I'm going to be embarrassed by this post.

I just want to help my family not be homeless. I don't want my son, who is now 2, to ever remember times like this.

Thank you for reading this far. It means a lot.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2014, 02:12 PM
WAHM Regular

Sparklefish, hang in there. Things will get better.

I know this is not a long-term solution, but I received an email the other day that Pierce Eislen is still hiring for the Spring survey team. It's only temporary and the work starts next week and runs for 4-6 weeks. Here is the blurb from the email:

"Arizona-based market research firm is currently accepting applications for our Spring 2014 rent survey. As a surveyor, you will call apartment communities throughout the US as a prospective renter to obtain current rental information from the comfort of your own home. The survey will begin Monday, May 5th and last approximately 4-6 weeks. Surveyors must commit to approximately 10-15 hours a week; however you may work more. High-speed Internet and long distance service must be set up prior to the start date. If you are offered work, you will be an employee of a temporary staffing agency placed on assignment with our company. You must be based in the United States to access our system. To apply and learn more about the position, please submit a current resume to [email protected]. "

You don't have to worry about background noise with this position because you are posing as an interested renter on the phone, so noises from kids, TVs, etc is normal. I'm not sure if this would work for you, but thought I'd throw it out there in case it can help you, or anyone else that is lurking. :-)
Old 05-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Grand WAHM

Check with your state's unemployment agency. In some states, non-compete clauses are not really enforceable. From what I've read, some states are "employment at will" states or something like that.

Also, in some cases, non-compete clauses are enforceable if an employee voluntarily leaves a company, but are unenforceable if the company lets the employee go. At the very least, I think it is worth checking into.

As for working at home, you will find lots of stuff on this forum.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:14 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danasurvey View Post
Check with your state's unemployment agency. In some states, non-compete clauses are not really enforceable. From what I've read, some states are "employment at will" states or something like that.

Also, in some cases, non-compete clauses are enforceable if an employee voluntarily leaves a company, but are unenforceable if the company lets the employee go. At the very least, I think it is worth checking into.

As for working at home, you will find lots of stuff on this forum.
Please take her advice and check it out! I found out my state was employee at will and I could work with the non-compete as it could not be enforced.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:35 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I agree with Dana & RoseCrystal about further exploring the non compete clauses. I've heard of people get out of those clauses before....

Mturk: You make the most money doing writing and/or transcription. You can make $5-$10 a day doing surveys if you stay focused. The key to doing batch hits is you have to be really fast, otherwise you won't make any money.

Textbrokers: It has been years since I've done Textbrokers! The last I heard you have to be in the (4-level) category to really make good money. Years ago, they could get on teams and make more money that way. Please explore the writing folder for more experienced advice!

Virtualbee: I don't work for this company, so no advice!

Influential Publishers: After doing my research, this is relatively a new start-up company. It sounds promising so I would stick with this company for awhile...

Other Advice: You may want to explore other options. Try exploring the transcription folder a lot more. You appear to be great at typing so that may be an option. Try researching companies that allow background noise using: metacrawler.com, dogpile.com, mamma.com or google.com. Here is a list of companies to start with: http://www.wahm.com/forum/telecommut...-required.html. Workplace like home have good leads... check there daily. Have you ever worked with a job-coach? Or has anyone revamped your resume? There use to be a lady by the name of SmartChic with great job connections. I haven't seen her on wahm in awhile, but if you inbox her here she should get the message via her personal email.

If you ever need anything you can inbox me anytime. I may have more additional leads for you.

Stay Positive,

Blue

Last edited by blueblue; 05-02-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:14 AM
WAHM Master

Stay strong you can do this !! You've got a lot of great advice . I know when your in that situation it's hard to focus . I would defiantly do what others have suggested . I've found all of my work at home jobs over the last 14 years on this site
Old 05-03-2014, 08:31 AM
WAHM Regular

Hang in there Sparklefish!

Is in-house daycare an option for you?

I used to make $300-$400 a month doing that when my kids were toddlers.

Also [email protected] lets you have background noise on calls - it's not sales.
Opportunities | On Point at Home

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Registered WAHM

Another way that your husband can get out a non-compete is if it's a hardship for his family.

I'd call the Unemployment Office first thing on Monday, and find out all you can.

Good luck in your search!
Old 05-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Awesome WAHM

Hugs Sparklefish - Have you ever watched 'The Secret'?

Sometimes the only way 'out' is to watch positive thinking stuff as it seems to open doors that you never knew existed. It has seriously changed our lives... there was a time when my husband hurt so bad that life was a constant battle just to survive and he thought it would always be that way...and we were just constantly struggling to survive... until one day God dropped something into our laps that changed both his health and our financial outlook on life.

Start focusing on the positive things in life - you might have to start with the smallest of things and watch the universe open doors for you. Be ready to believe in the impossible!

Hugs and cheers to you!
Old 05-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Super WAHM

I agree with above posters, there's no way that non-compete clause is enforceable when it's causing such a hardship to your family. Please check into it! The company is just being a butthead and relying on people being afraid of legalese.