Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:11 PM
WAHM Regular

Hey, guys. I don't really have time to focus on all of the great ideas and suggestions you guys have given because it's been a super busy day. We had a yard sale and made 100 bucks, so that was a pleasant surprise. It's been very chaotic trying to do that, get some wahm gigs in here and there, get things ready for church tomorrow AND keep up with the toddler who is being extra...toddler today. When I get a chance to do so, I will definitely look into all of the suggestions you've given, but more importantly, I really appreciate all of you taking the time to read my super long post and taking the time out of your day to try and help me. It means a lot and it reminds me of how much of a resource this forum is.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2014, 07:16 AM
Awesome WAHM

I agree with Danasurvey. Non compete clauses are only enforceable if you quit. They are not enforceable if you are laid off only if you are the one that initiates the separation
Old 05-05-2014, 08:12 AM
Registered WAHM

I've been doing a good bit of research lately because I did sign a non-compete for the insurance company that I used to work for.

It seems to me that there are no instances where a non-compete is enforceable.

If there aren't state regulations about it, there is still a valid hardship loophole.

I've not seen any cases in my research where a non-compete was enforceable.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:34 AM
WAHM Regular

Non-compete clauses are really intended for high level executives - that is, to be used by and against high level executives. You can find cases of major lawsuits being waged when a big shot jumps ship for a competitor, like the case of IBM versus Papermaster. The clause was really not intended to enforce us small fry going to work for a competitor, and it would be a flagrant misuse of company funds to enforce that through a lawsuit. Although you never know, some bosses might be vindictive enough to try it.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:59 PM
WAHM Regular

I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but he was actually working for a staffing firm. He was contracted through them to work at a big insurance company. His job ended (abruptly) in December. They haven't contacted him for a single position since, regardless of his inquiries, resume revamps, etc.

The new staffing agency he has been applying for positions with, basically told him that they had a job that he was perfect for and they could all but hand it to him that day. Unfortunately, it's with the same insurance company as before. So, the agreement is forbidding him to work with another staffing agency in the same company.

I wonder if that makes a difference.

He emailed his contact at the staffing agency where the contract is, and she told him that she couldn't get him out of it. He completely broke down on the phone with her, explaining that he only has a couple of weeks now before we have no income and still have a 2 year old that needs food and shelter. She didn't budge. He later emailed her a copy of something he found somewhere (that he looked up because of you guys and your suggestions) talking about the instances of this not being enforceable in our state, Illinois, especially in hardship circumstances. Which, I'd say this is, because it's literally keeping him from getting a job, the only job he's been offered, since he left that company. He hasn't heard back from them and that was Thursday or Friday, I believe.

Today is another bad day. I scrambled to make 8 bucks on mturk. We need diapers and milk and gas in the car and I'm feeling like a useless blob of a person because if I could work out side of the house like a normal wife and mother, there wouldn't be as much pressure on him to make a higher wage. He could just go work fast food somewhere and we'd have enough. Not a lot, but we'd survive.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:35 PM
WAHM Regular

That might make a difference. Non-compete is not enforceable on your husband but it might be enforceable against the agency trying to hire him away, and given the nature of their business, it might be in the old firm's interest to sue the new firm over it. Has he tried applying directly to the insurance company? It sounds like they need someone for that job description and let me tell you as a former temp agent, they are not above scalping someone who has been working as a temp to avoid paying the finder's fee, if they decide they want to hire you on permanently. Although in this case they might not owe a finder's fee since your husband doesn't work for them anymore.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Registered WAHM

Hang in there Sparkle!!

Do either of you hold a bachelor degree? It doesn't matter what it's in. If so, you can try Leapforce, Lionbridge, or Appen Butler to see if they are currently looking for web evaluators. All you need is a high speed internet connection. It would only be part time, but every little bit helps right? If you have anything in your house you were going to get rid of, (old baby clothes perhaps?), instead of donating them, try selling them on ebay! Again only internet access required.

Best of luck to you!
Old 05-18-2014, 12:14 PM
WAHM Regular

Hi, guys!

I just wanted to stop by and let you all know that my husband found a job! It's not the one he was hoping for, and he was never able to do anything with that ridiculous non-compete clause, but this job is pretty okay and it's in the field he's going to school for. It is also just a contract position, but it's at a school and I'm pretty sure they're all like that here. Even if he doesn't get a renewed contract next year, he'll be much closer to finishing his degree and he'll have time to look for something else. I'm pretty relieved with that.

We're thinking about moving somewhere cheaper so we can really buckle down and save up. So, that's exciting and terrible at the same time.

Bonus - his schedule is 6-4pmish so when he gets home, I'll have more freedom to do wah-gigs.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and support. It really helped me get through this.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:16 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I am so glad your situation turned around!! God bless you on your work at home journey.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:38 PM
WAHM Fanatic

The fastest way I have found to make money is to flip goods.

Think of that yard sale you had. You made $100. You can scale that substantially by using Craigslist, eBay and Amazon for sales and ramp up earnings.

You can find goods anywhere to flip from the grocery store to big box retailers to thrift stores to your own home.

This is a great way to earn some cash every day or while you are waiting for something else.

Keep in mind it can take some time to find a work at home job for an employer. First you have to find one that has openings then you may have to undergo a credit check and pass one (usually more interviews). This can help fill the gap while you wait...you may even want to scale it up or go full time with it.

Let us know how things go.

Last edited by LilBlackDress; 05-21-2014 at 07:41 PM.