Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Please help with getting started telecommunting

Hi, I'm very new with the concept of telecommuting. Until now, I was cleaning houses. Unfortunately, my elderly father in Mexico had a stroke recently and needs full-time care. I have to leave the US and live with him in Mexico. I have to be with him the vast majority of the day, and I think telecommuting is my only real option to keep my bills paid. I really need to make about $500 per week. I am an American and have an American bank account. Is $500 a week at all possible? I will do whatever it takes, work however many hours. I am completely fluent in English and Spanish. I just am totally overwhelmed and don't even know where to start. Is there anyone out there with some experience who can give me a step-by-step process of what to do to get myself earning about $500 per week. I would appreciate it so much. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Grand WAHM

Since you are fluent in English and Spanish, you may want to look into things like being a translator or a language tutor. I'm not sure what the opportunities are in Mexico though.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:11 PM
WAHM Master

Are you looking for a telecommuting job ? Or home business ?
Old 02-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Registered WAHM

I think telecommuting jobs make more sense right now because I need to be making money right off the bat, and I feel like a home business is kind of hit or miss and takes time to get started.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:29 PM
WAHM Regular

$500 a week is definitely do-able with a full-time telecommute job. I recall some of the major health insurance companies, as well as the few "home shopping' networks, often have the need for bilingual (English / Spanish) Customer Service Reps. Teaching English as a second language, which can be done online, is another option.

If you don't want to go the Spanish / English translation / interpretation route, consider other Customer Service roles as they are aplenty. If customer service is not your thing, evaluate what you know and where your skills lie. This will help you narrow down the type of job and company.

That said...

I am not sure if companies in the USA extend their opportunities into Mexico - many telecommuting and home based jobs require you to live in and around a specific area for training, etc.Additionally, the application and hiring process may take several weeks.

The majority of jobs that are not location specific don't pay the $500 a week you are looking for - they are mostly "extra money" gigs that allow you to work whenever you want as long as the work is available.

On occasion, remote jobs do come up, with companies that don't care where you live. Read as much as you can here in these forums and check out the signature links...many people have great connections to legit. jobs.

While your search goes on, you may want to start out with freelance websites like Odesk and Elance. Browse through the Find Work sections to get a feel for what kind of work is available. You can search by general or specific type of work. Personally, I have had decent success on both platforms. When you find a job (or two or three, or...) that you like, bid on it and sell yourself to the one hiring.

Best of luck.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:34 PM
WAHM Regular

Odesk and Elance have combined now, but I think that where you should look for quick jobs. They aren't always high paying though, but there is a constant supply. You can take exams there too to make yourself more reputable.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:27 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Telecommute call operator jobs generally pay in the $7-$12 range and are usually part time so they can limit benefits. It also can take some time to get hired by them. You have to undergo a background check and sometimes even finger printing.

Translation sounds like it could be a great opportunity for you and there are a number of companies looking for people with those skills.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:51 AM
WAHM Regular

Smile

Because of the fact that you're bilingual, you actually have a few extra doors open to you. When looking into translation, also look into transcription. I believe that transcriptionists who are bilingual make a little more. Also, consider looking into bilingual customer service jobs and web search evaluator positions. Web search evaluator positions are in the Google Rater folder of the forum. Good luck!

Last edited by Carmen29; 02-07-2014 at 11:52 AM.