Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:30 PM
WAHM Regular

Exclamation Lionbridge experience (for those who have asked)

I applied to Lionbridge a couple of months ago. A couple of weeks passed and I got the series of emails to get a live.com email address, go through the study material...and a teaser that indicated if I completed the study material by such-and-such date then I would get $XXXX bonus and then if I completed the practice data and the exam by such-and-such date then I would get another bonus. They can track what you view and complete because you log in to a dashboard of sorts. Well, I completed the study material by the date indicated and never got word about a bonus or how to get the practice data. Finally I inquired; they had no record that I finished the study material...so I was (conveniently?) not eligible for either bonus.

Okay, maybe I missed something...I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

So I finally got the practice data (queries). I studied everything to a tee and made crazy notes. However, while going through the practice material, so much didn't make sense. The practice queries weren't kept up with. There were dozens of instances when the site to review was one thing but as soon as you rated it then the ad landing page would change. This led to so much confusion, and I sent multiple emails with questions about these inconsistencies, as well as general emails asking for explanations and help.

I only got one response, which simply defended the dynamic websites. None of my questions were ever answered.

Then at one point I was no longer able to access the practice data. I was flying through it, but when I reached 99 (there are more than 200 practice queries) I started getting an error. There is a button where you can contact tech support regarding any problems, so I used it. Again, nobody got back with me. I even sent a separate email to Lionbridge, but they didn't help me either. After almost a week of trying every day, I suddenly got an email letting me know my deadline had passed and I had yet to finish my practice data. I COULDN'T ACCESS IT! It still read 99 and I still got an error. I told them this...again.

A couple days later, I got a reply that said I could disregard the rest of the practice data and they'd let me take the exam. So that was more practice that I never got to complete...

I did very well on the exam overall. However, of the more than 7 areas that you are graded on there was one area where I scored average...and was told I failed the exam. However, they said I could take it again.

I had to reschedule my retake because of a family trip (they were accommodating to this) and was informed when my retake would be available. I checked on the date I was provided with...and the following date...and the date after that. The exam was never there.

Since it was so close to Thanksgiving, I assumed they decided to put it off longer and just kept an eye out for an email from them. However, I never heard anything. I finally emailed them yesterday to find out what happened with the exam. Their reply was very rude. They informed me they had made it available to me on the date they had indicated but that I had failed to take it by the deadline. It was never there! Then they said they were willing to make it available to me again. (Granted, it was finally made available...today.)

Too little, too late.

Too many red flags. No professionalism whatsoever. No assistance with training or tech support.

It just wasn't worth the stress. I went through this for about 2 months. I just sent them an email telling them I'm no longer interested. I don't think there ever was a bonus available, and I seriously question their ethics and whether or not this is being run out of somebody's garage.

I am very disappointed. I studied for days, took endless notes, yet I still received no help and got degrading replies.

Be careful if you give Lionbridge a try. I have no idea how the pay is or if they're reliable. However, first impressions say a lot. I have a feeling you'd do more hoop-jumping and have far more stress than it's worth.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Super WAHM

I went through something like this with Leapforce. It was ridiculous. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and hung in, took the test and passed. Worked there for over a year and hated every minute. Worker support was ludicrous and almost non-existent. We helped each other on the chat, and that was about it. Any inquiries went unanswered. Then they started saying there were new qualification tests for new tasks, but the tests never showed up, and it was the same sort of thing you describe. I wonder sometimes if they aren't really the same company.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:04 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Horrible experience

Hi,

I am very sorry that you went through this. The whole thing seems exhausting. I do have to say that I admire your persistence. Two months is a long time to endure so many challenges. I hope that you will find another opportunity without the problems that you experienced. Hopefully, the next opportunity will provide a more efficient means of communicating with prospects and new hires. Amazing! Thank you for sharing and much success to you!
Old 12-06-2013, 02:37 AM
Registered WAHM

Wow. I'm somewhat relieved to read this. This is exactly what I'm going through right now and I thought I was doing something wrong that they didn't tell me about.

I was supposed to do a test and they never sent me an email or gave me any practice work and I've written them and nobody is saying anything! I was really counting on this opportunity and have studied like hell, but it's going to waste while I twiddle my thumbs. Hopefully they do get around to it and give me another shot like they did you - I was worried they were unreasonable. But now of course you have me worried that their exams and practice sets are all fickle.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:30 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Wow...

This really is a shame. Definitely one of those too-good-to-be-true WAH jobs. I'm sorry to hear others are going or have gone through the same/similar ordeal. I couldn't find any other posts that outright talked about others experiences, but I did read a lot of mixed comments about Lionbridge (and other similar companies). I did think it was just my experience, but I'm glad I posted about it so others can also share and educate.

Our time as moms is precious. It's just not worth going through this much stress and hassle. I don't mind putting in effort. I'm not expecting a cake walk or anything. I do expect assistance and professionalism though, especially when they put applicants through such a rigorous, stressful, and drawn-out process.

By the way, I got a reply from Lionbridge today. They basically called me a liar, stating I never submitted a claim about a problem with their website and that I never sent them questions regarding the training material. Bull...!

Good luck, everybody! I hope you all have better luck that I have had.

Last edited by abi2001; 12-06-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:26 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I have worked for both companies in the past. I think what you are describing is what I often tell people when asked - this job is not for everyone. Some people thrive in this environment while others struggle & find it stressful just the same as listening to people in a sales environment.

There are mounds of material to learn that is ongoing, changing often. The environment is rigid and very structured with very little leeway for variance or individuality. (reminds me of the military or a govt job) Again, some people love the high levels of structure and like to follow details to the letter - others don't.

I'm a creative person so this is not a great match for me but this doesn't mean that others will not just love the job. This cyberspace is a very, very large place with lots of room for all kinds of workers and skills. If this job is not for you, simply move on to a job that you are better suited for.

The reason that someone mentioned thinking that both companies really were the same is that they (and there are other companies) are working for the same client(s) who dictate the standards and procedures.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Registered WAHM

abi2001,

How often did you have to write them until they gave a response? I get a quick response from their recruitment people redirecting me, but that's all.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:44 PM
WAHM Regular

"msuggitt": I was actually looking forward to working for them. I thrive on structure; I have about a dozen years' worth of administrative and researching experience and have a social sciences degree. So that part wasn't the problem because I was definitely a fit there. Their lack of professionalism, rudeness, and flat-out disorganization is enough to drive anybody away--that was the problem.

"badposture": I always got a response the next day (not including weekends), unless it was a training-related question--which I never got a response to. When a job requires as much training and degree of perfectionism as this one does, you'd think they'd be willing to help you with training. I was wrong.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:09 PM
WAHM Regular

wow that does not sound good :-(
I was hired as a internet content judge, I think that was what it was called, I did not even have to take a test, and it was comparing webpages for well over $10.00 an hour, it was an excellent opportunity, but unfortunately they discontinued the program after a month.
they offered me a crowd source position, which I do no mind and am grateful to have something to make a little bit of extra money, but it certainly does not make me enough to just live on that alone.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Registered WAHM

PM'ed you abi2001.

I also have experience working as a contractor in stuff like this and can't say it's enjoyable for me, but at least I know what I'm getting into. The pay is nice. Lionbridge is being the oddest so far.

Last edited by badposture; 12-06-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Tags
lion bridge, lionbridge, queries