Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 07:17 AM
WAHM Regular

Question App Coiner -- sounds great, but is it a scam?

just got an email about app coiner -- you get paid to test new apps. all sounded good until they wanted $$ to become a member of their site. sigh.

anyone know anything about it? i've tried to google it and such and not much comes up about them.

when do you take a chance on these sort of things? or don't you?

here is the site if you want to check it out -- App Coiner | Get paid to promote apps

--d

Last edited by blueyes1012; 11-11-2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: wrong url
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Grand WAHM

I'm always cautious where sites like this try and charge you an upfront fee. If there is a true demand for this, why do they need to charge people upfront?
Old 11-11-2013, 04:27 PM
WAHM Master

I would be very cautious with that site .
Old 11-11-2013, 05:54 PM
WAHM Regular

Site is Germany based , But The Real Location is Being Hidden

Scamadviser.com | check a website for risk | check if dodgey | check is a website s |check website is fake or a scam

be careful
Old 11-11-2013, 05:57 PM
WAHM Regular

Is this them too?

I can't afford to pay upfront to join : Clicktrix Main Helpdesk

I can't afford to pay upfront to join

Modified on: Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Unfortunately you need to pay upfront for your membership.

The reason there is a fee to join our site is because we have fixed costs for running the website, such as creating and maintaining the training materials, providing support and extra training to members, maintaining relationships with app developers, creating software tools for members use etc.

Also, by having a joining fee we keep out time wasters and have more jobs to offer our serious members.

The reason we can't deduct the fee from your earnings is because we don't actually hire you directly, it is the app developers who we work with who employ you.

The fee you pay us is to provide you with all of the training and tools that you need to complete the jobs, to access our app review database and to get support from our staff.

If you cannot pay the joining fee upfront, then you will unfortunately not be able to join our site at this time.

Sounds like a big load to me...
Old 11-13-2013, 10:59 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Just say NO to sites that try to charge you fees for training materials etc

However, some legit sites do charge upfront for background checks and finger printing.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:54 PM
WAHM Regular

Isn't there an unwritten rule about having to pay to work?
Old 11-13-2013, 05:56 PM
WAHM Regular

Yes there is, (was?) however in this day and age, it's not unheard of to be charged for having to do a background check and MAYBE training materials. A big maybe because I think it's kind of bogus to be charged for that most of the time.

There are jobs which are really business opportunities but legit like Arise which is not one of those bs MLM types of things, but instead you do handle real customers and get paid wages, etc. They do make you pay for training and background check etc, but it is a real job type of thing. That's the best example I can think of at the moment.

P.S. I'm not recommending Arise, just info I've collected from researching the forums

But generally You are correct.

Some good tips are if it looks too good to be true... and if it smells fishy, it more than likely is. Google is our best friend, but doesn't always give the entire picture either. Searching company websites on Whois can sometimes give a clue or 2 etc..

Also be on your guard about some places who want to do a background check, places that are nor known very well and brand new, because I believe some background check companies have affiliate programs and make a nice kick down. Say Jo Schmo puts an add out for secretary and says you must pass a background check at your expense for 30 dollars.. Well he gets a commission from that and REALLY you could have just been taken for 30 bucks with no real job offering.

Last edited by athomemama; 11-13-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:36 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Shame...

It's such a shame, because I was all ready to sign up...until I saw the fee.
Guess I'll keep looking
Old 12-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Registered WAHM

Exclamation It's a scam not a job offer!

Hi Everyone

Just had to post a reply to this because it make me so mad!

App Coiner is the new offering from the people who produced Paid Social Media Jobs and Paid Writing Jobs. I have not reviewed App Coiner but did get a review copy of the Paid Social Media Jobs program and I wrote and in depth review about it on my blog (the address is in my sig - sorry can't post a direct link yet).

Anyway they have replaced the Paid Social Media Jobs sales letter with the App Coiner one and I think that judging from their first offering you are going to be getting the same bunch of crap.

Since I have only reviewed Paid Social Media Jobs I can only tell you how that worked...

They make out like they are going to give you a job as a social media manager, but then you have to pay to sign up. You get access to a membership site that has basic training in it (written training and videos) plus a database of sites where you can apply for freelance jobs (which you can find by Googling Freelance jobs).

Anyway the training was supposed to teach you how to become a social media manager and get paid loads of money for simple posting to FB and Twitter. I went through the training as part of my blog review and it was limited in what it taught. For instance it did not teach you how to plan out a social media campaign or strategy, neither did it teach you what you should be posting to get results for your clients.

I have worked as a freelance web designer for several years and I can tell you it is not easy to get well paying jobs for simple tasks that hundreds of other freelancer will do cheap. To make any sort of money you need to have real skills and you need to be able to get results for your clients.

So I marked this whole program as a scam - first they lie to you to get you to sign up - promising you a job - then they don't even teach you enough for you to be able to go out and find your own jobs.

They seem to be targeting the SAHM/WAHM market which is very annoying to say the least.

Well I hope this has saved someone from wasting time and money on these programs.

Nikki

Closed Thread