Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:53 AM
WAHM Regular

Question Do you have a daily routine?

I have not technically started being a telecommuting mom yet but I have been a SAHM for years. Routine has always been a struggle. While I was working outside the home, routine was easy as I got up at the same time, did hair and makeup, left for work, etc.
How do you all do a daily routine while telecommuting? How do you maintain that while you are home, you are unavailable for the most part?
I would like to get my head wrapped around these things before I start so I am not playing catch up and pulling my hair out afterwards
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Grand WAHM

I think when you work at home, you need to become the boss of your own schedule. I try and stick to a routine, but it's a more flexible routine than I had in a normal workplace.

I also set goals. For example, lets say the day is nice and sunny and I decide to take a few hours off. I'll still get the same amount of goals done for that day. I will just work on them later in the day.

Maybe a task oriented routine would work better than a time oriented routine?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 PM
WAHM Regular

I totally agree that task oriented would be the better way to go. I am finally at a place where I am getting things done around my house and my shift wont start until 11am so I can get alot done in the early morning.
At first I worried that everyone else would realize that I was working even though I was home. I think I am the only one in the family yet to truly wrap my head around it!!LOL
Old 11-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Grand WAHM

Working from home does take some readjustment. But it's a growing trend.

You can always be thankful to have something in this economy too, whether you are earning money at home or in an office, it's a good thing.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:51 PM
WAHM Regular

Oh I am extremely thankful for this job. I have wanted to do this for a long time and never had the opportunity before. I know that some jobs working from home pay you less than you would be making outside but the way I look at it is this. In this day and age, anything I make is more than the nothing I am making now!LOL
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 AM
WAHM Regular

So does anyone have any tips for keeping things sane while working from home? How does your family handle you being busy but still being there?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 AM
WAHM Regular

I have been officially working from home since August. I had B & M jobs for years. After two lays offs in five years, I decided to go back to school to finish my degree. This made the transition of working from home a little easier for me. I already had a great amount of discipline from studying, homework, etc. That played in my favor, but it was still a bit of an adjustment. My husband has Monday's off and it took him time to realize that I actually do work. I'm not just sitting in front of my computer. (He ignores the office door being shut sometimes).

I first started with one job that was 20 hours per week, four hours a day, M-F. Easy enough, but I recently found another WAH position that requires 30 hours per week. This one is more flexible as I just need to meet the 30 hours per week, and I can work when I want. They are both non phone jobs which is a blessing. I also have a few small other eggs that I work when I have time.

This took more of a readjustment period for me with working so many more hours. It allows me a great deal more flexibility than working a B & M position. I have obligations with my mother and mother in law and I am able to take care of those.

What works for me is making a schedule the night before my work day. I work this job this set of hours, and the other job, another set of hours. If I need to run errands, I take that into consideration as well. It's not perfect, but it does help. This way I am able to spend time with my family and make sure they don't feel neglected. I am trying to work more "me" time in there.. LOL!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 AM
WAHM Master

Writing out a daily schedule has always helped me
Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Super WAHM

Smile

I think that it is best to have a daily routine, as it helps me to stay on track and organized and to get tasks completed in a timely manner and get things done. I find that I am much more efficient when I have a daily routine, especially for those of us who work multiple WAH jobs. It makes things easier to keep up with. It also helps me to make lists and prioritize my tasks as well.

HTH!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:17 PM
WAHM Regular

Thank you all so much for your insight! It is easy for people to say that they would love to work from home but each situation brings its own set of struggles. I am so thankful to finally be able to do it. I just need to work out the details of how it will all get done.... Isnt the devil always in the details!LOL