Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:05 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by She M View Post
There are certain jobs crossed off my list due to my cable internet/phone company regulations: "Customer may not use the High speed Internet Service for commercial or business purposes. ... Customer agrees not to use the Phone Service for any commercial reason, including telemarketing, medical transcription, facsimile broadcasting, or other enterprise directed at receiving income or profit. ... {Company Name} may immediately suspend, restrict or cancel your service without prior notice."

I'm hoping that taking online surveys doesn't count under using the Internet Service for business purposes! I search the internet for jobs regularly, so hopefully something will break loose after a while.
Wow. Ive never heard of a cable/internet co regulating what you can or cant do at home with it as long as your not doing anything illegal like spamming ect.. Maybe I haven't read the small print. I wonder if your service has a business package for a few dollars more and if it would be worth it.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Super WAHM

Smile

I, by no means am trying to be secretive at all. However, just as some other posters pointed out, I am bound by contracts which does not allow me to say. I however, am allowed to say a little about one company that I work for on an employee basis of which I have posted a job here for them. They however, wanted their name to remain anonymous, due to what others have said about being bombarded with unnecessary phone calls and e-mails.

I also work for more than one company. I have five different WAH jobs, one of which pays really well and two others that pay decent hourly wages. I work both as an employee with one of them (the one I cannot reveal) and the rest are on an IC basis. I work as a Virtual Assistant and also make a decent hourly rate. Not to mention again, I have been telecommuting full-time for 20 years, which has allowed me to build up a nice clientele and income.

I can also tell you that when I first started out, I didn't make this type of income and had another B&M full-time job while building my business. I also worked 18 to 20 hour days in order to get my business off the ground too and did a lot of sacrificing regarding my family and such.

Although, I now still work some long hours, I don't near work the hours that I once did, not to mention, I am NO spring chicken anymore either, lol!

HTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblue View Post
To be honest, I agree with both sides here. It's only natural to want to ask who you work for. I mean... EVEN I wanted to jump on the bandwagon and ask who auburn works for!! On the other hand, I can see why she doesn't want to provide that information.
Yes, I agree that you can make a decent living telecommuting with hard work and a very positive attitude. Good luck!!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:11 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by athomemama View Post
Wow. Ive never heard of a cable/internet co regulating what you can or cant do at home with it as long as your not doing anything illegal like spamming ect.. Maybe I haven't read the small print. I wonder if your service has a business package for a few dollars more and if it would be worth it.
Yes, they have residential and business customers. But at this time a business package plan is not an option for me - though believe me, I certainly considered it!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:35 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Okay... now I always wandered what was the difference between business cable and just the regular cable!!!! Woooo!!! Thanks for explaining that one to me. DUH!!!! LOL
Old 08-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Registered WAHM

Default Re: Working from home

Hi all

I'm hoping some working moms here will be keen to speak to me directly about their experiences of working from home for virtual call centers/microtasking. I'm writing an article for a US site but I'm based in London, UK.

The questions would be around whether you use telecommuting to supplement existing income, as your sole source of income, what kind of system you use at your work (is it a 'game' system), what incentives you are given and how you find the work - is it something you want to continue doing? Or will you seek a job with better employment conditions (if you don't have any benefits from your current employer) when you're able to work away from home?

Please PM me if interested in answering any of these questions. You can answer by email or I can even call you if you prefer to chat about it. Real names don't have to be used!

Thanks
Zakia
Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 AM
WAHM Regular

Default it is possible

My company is like anything, you work hard and you will reap the benefits! Well, I guess that is NOT like any company. haha
Old 08-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Super WAHM

I have been working from home for almost 3 years. I make well over $900 a month. I am a single mother and I do go to college at the same time. It is VERY possible but it takes a LOT of hard work. I am a writer, image auditor and a virtual assistant currently. Right now I am starting in project management and hope to soon have a team under me doing virtual assistant work.

You don't have to have a degree, but it can help if you want more of a techie job. My biggest advice to you would be to network, network and network! Get to know a lot of people on the Internet. Stay in contact with them on a regular basis. I have ran into a few snakes along the way, so be careful. But even the snakes will help you learn the ropes once in a while.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:10 PM
WAHM Regular

Smile

That sounds awesome! Everyone should support themselves like this. Its worth it!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:27 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Telecommuting provides half of my household's income! :)

I've been working from home part-time sporadically since about 2008 and full-time since September 2010. It is possible to make that much a month from home and I'm just now exceeding that amount this year. I am mostly able to achieve that by working for clients through oDesk but I also have other eggs. However, having a Bachelor's degree and being Internet savvy has personally helped me to accomplish this goal. It takes some work and patience especially if you have certain requirements such as not being able to do phone work and needing a lot of flexibility to take care of other responsibilities. Just keep your eyes open and even if you start off with a small paying gig be sure to network and build relationships with others doing the same thing!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:39 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Default Yup!

I have been telecommuting full time for 4 1/2 years. I make SIGNIFICANTLY more than that and I am the primary breadwinner for our family of five. So, the short answer is, yes - it can be done.