Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:26 PM
WAHM Regular

Talking What does a telecommunicater do?

I'm confused, I'm trying to understand what exactly does an at home telecommuter? How does one get a job being a telecommuter, and is it an actual career?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Super WAHM

Hello!

I'd like to help. I'm sure that others will chime in with their insight, too! When I say that I telecommute, I mean that I work from home. I work using my computer, but others might work using the telephones (maybe answering customer service calls by phone). So, you can be a customer service representative, a writer, a technical support person, have an online store, or any number of other jobs or businesses that allow you to telecommute. I wouldn't call telecommuting a career, but it is how we work. We work from home. There are companies out there that hire contractors or employees who are able to telecommute, or complete job duties from home. You can have your own business and telecommute, too.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:44 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancewriter View Post
Hello!

I'd like to help. I'm sure that others will chime in with their insight, too! When I say that I telecommute, I mean that I work from home. I work using my computer, but others might work using the telephones (maybe answering customer service calls by phone). So, you can be a customer service representative, a writer, a technical support person, have an online store, or any number of other jobs or businesses that allow you to telecommute. I wouldn't call telecommuting a career, but it is how we work. We work from home. There are companies out there that hire contractors or employees who are able to telecommute, or complete job duties from home. You can have your own business and telecommute, too.
Oh, I see. So telecommuting isn't a specific job title or anything. So other than being a medical transcriptionist, what are some other telecommuting jobs that don't require extensive schooling?
Old 08-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Grand WAHM

There are a lot of telecommute/work at home jobs in customer service, writing, and a lot of other areas too. You should check through this section of the forum to see some job postings.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:23 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danasurvey View Post
There are a lot of telecommute/work at home jobs in customer service, writing, and a lot of other areas too. You should check through this section of the forum to see some job postings.
Thank you, Dana. I'm trying to find a work from home job that I can have while I am in college. So things that require schooling such as medical transcription, and medical billing are out of the question. Does anyone know any other jobs that I can apply for without any specific schooling?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:25 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Basically this is what telecommuting means:

"It is moving the work to the workers, instead of moving the workers to the workplace"

Telecommuting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Grand WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartezJ View Post
Thank you, Dana. I'm trying to find a work from home job that I can have while I am in college. So things that require schooling such as medical transcription, and medical billing are out of the question. Does anyone know any other jobs that I can apply for without any specific schooling?
Customer service and writing positions don't require schooling, but prior experience can help. There are also lots of ways to make money online too.

What types of jobs have you worked in the past? Maybe that experience would help land a telecommuting job?