Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2012, 03:26 PM
MartezJ's Avatar
WAHM Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 65
Talking What does a telecommunicater do?

I'm confused, I'm trying to understand what exactly does an at home telecommuter? How does one get a job being a telecommuter, and is it an actual career?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2012, 05:06 PM
freelancewriter's Avatar
Super WAHM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location:
Posts: 280
Default

Hello!

I'd like to help. I'm sure that others will chime in with their insight, too! When I say that I telecommute, I mean that I work from home. I work using my computer, but others might work using the telephones (maybe answering customer service calls by phone). So, you can be a customer service representative, a writer, a technical support person, have an online store, or any number of other jobs or businesses that allow you to telecommute. I wouldn't call telecommuting a career, but it is how we work. We work from home. There are companies out there that hire contractors or employees who are able to telecommute, or complete job duties from home. You can have your own business and telecommute, too.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2012, 06:44 PM
MartezJ's Avatar
WAHM Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancewriter View Post
Hello!

I'd like to help. I'm sure that others will chime in with their insight, too! When I say that I telecommute, I mean that I work from home. I work using my computer, but others might work using the telephones (maybe answering customer service calls by phone). So, you can be a customer service representative, a writer, a technical support person, have an online store, or any number of other jobs or businesses that allow you to telecommute. I wouldn't call telecommuting a career, but it is how we work. We work from home. There are companies out there that hire contractors or employees who are able to telecommute, or complete job duties from home. You can have your own business and telecommute, too.
Oh, I see. So telecommuting isn't a specific job title or anything. So other than being a medical transcriptionist, what are some other telecommuting jobs that don't require extensive schooling?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2012, 06:53 PM
danasurvey's Avatar
Grand WAHM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 16,327
Default

There are a lot of telecommute/work at home jobs in customer service, writing, and a lot of other areas too. You should check through this section of the forum to see some job postings.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2012, 07:23 PM
MartezJ's Avatar
WAHM Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danasurvey View Post
There are a lot of telecommute/work at home jobs in customer service, writing, and a lot of other areas too. You should check through this section of the forum to see some job postings.
Thank you, Dana. I'm trying to find a work from home job that I can have while I am in college. So things that require schooling such as medical transcription, and medical billing are out of the question. Does anyone know any other jobs that I can apply for without any specific schooling?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2012, 08:25 PM
SavvyMom's Avatar
WAHM Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,842
Default

Basically this is what telecommuting means:

"It is moving the work to the workers, instead of moving the workers to the workplace"

Telecommuting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2012, 07:00 PM
danasurvey's Avatar
Grand WAHM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 16,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartezJ View Post
Thank you, Dana. I'm trying to find a work from home job that I can have while I am in college. So things that require schooling such as medical transcription, and medical billing are out of the question. Does anyone know any other jobs that I can apply for without any specific schooling?
Customer service and writing positions don't require schooling, but prior experience can help. There are also lots of ways to make money online too.

What types of jobs have you worked in the past? Maybe that experience would help land a telecommuting job?
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off