Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Telecommuting

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:19 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootie27
I started as a quality rater with my first exam on 10/8/07. I thought my job would be ending tomorrow, but I still haven't received my notice email. Has this happened to anyone?
Tootie - I started the first exam on 10/8 as well. However, my first official day of rating was 10/29. I have not received any notification either. I hope I get some form of notice, even if it's just a few days.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Super WAHM

Question...do any of you have a corporation? Can you get paid through your corporation for this work?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:20 PM
WAHM Regular

Tootie -

I posted the other day, wondering the same thing, but I have an update

I just got my year-end notice today. I started testing on 10/1/07, and started rating on 10/22/07. My notice says my last day is 10/21/08, so I believe they are now going by the date you started rating.

Although the email mentions 'tomorrow', which makes it confusing, but I believe they mean tomorrow as in the day after your termination (strange way to word it!)

I didn't get the information about being rehired for a second year in my email, and I know someone posted before that there was a glitch and some people got an email w/o that info, but I would think that glitch would be fixed by now...just wondering if I am eligible for rehireEdited by: hollyhock
Old 10-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarcia10
Question...do any of you have a corporation? Can you get paid through your corporation for this work?
This is W2 only. Big corps are very averse to dealing with anyone acting as a one-man independent contractor. When I worked for BigCorp, we would laugh at one-man shops that don't have employees, insurance, or an office outside of their residence - they have no chance at getting paid work except as W2 through an agency or as a permanent employee.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:13 PM
WAHM Regular

I also got the end of assignment 10/21 email. It says the end is 10/21 yet it says access is cut off tomorrow ..that doesn't make any sense.. anyways the job was interesting but it got very tedious and was very hard to even make 10 hours near the end of it since you don't feel like doing it anymore..I also got terrible report card grades yet lasted the entire year..lol..feel sorry for those people who didn't last the entire year
Old 10-07-2008, 08:33 PM
WAHM Regular

Does anyone know if those who draw unemployment get hired back for the second year in the same proportion as those who don't?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristine4545454
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbean
Can't you only draw unemployment if you are paying into it while you are working?
I'm no unemployment expert, just going from experience of posters here. Several posters have been able to draw unemployment after their year was up. Hopefully, someone will be able to give you a better answer!
It may differ from state to state, but usually the costs of unemployment insurance are borne by the employer through taxes. WFL pays into the system every month, then if a claim is filed, WFL provides information about how long you worked and how much you made in order for each state to figure benefit amounts. WFL is not billed for unemployment checks, so it shouldn't affect getting rehired for another year. There have been several raters mention in this forum that they received these benefits, and they were still rehired for their 2nd year without a problem.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarcia10
This is W2 only. Big corps are very averse to dealing with anyone acting as a one-man independent contractor. When I worked for BigCorp, we would laugh at one-man shops that don't have employees, insurance, or an office outside of their residence - they have no chance at getting paid work except as W2 through an agency or as a permanent employee.
I agree this work can only be done though W-2s but I heartily disagree with your assessment of "big corps" and one-man shops. Times have changed a lot and people that work at home as sole proprietors can certainly land paying clients from large reputable companies.

I have been a freelancer for 15 years and am actually more respected in my field now that I'm home. I am smart enough not to have additional overhead, I am more flexible, and I don't put wear and tear on my clients' equipment. Sure, some companies may laugh when they find out it's just me but the majority appreciate and recognize that smaller is better.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbean
Can't you only draw unemployment if you are paying into it while you are working?
You do pay into it as a W-2 employee. In my state you can file if you are unemployed due to no fault of your own, have earned the minimum amount in your base period ($8800), and are actively seeking work. The employers' taxes pay the benefits.

(The Base Period is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters before the starting date of your claim. So if you file now your base period would be the prior July through June.) You're paid 4.6% of what you earned in the quarter you made the most money. So if my math's right - assuming you did 20 hours a week for 4 months you'd make $4800. Multiply that by 4.6% and your benefit will be $221/week.

Look for the Department of Labor & Training for your state for specifics.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:36 PM
WAHM Regular

I also recieved an e-mail stating that "Much of the work will be performed in your language however, the pre-qualification exam and communication regarding this project will be in English."

I only applied for the English position, however, in my resumeI did mention that I am familar with basic spanish. Have any of you gotten chosen for a language that you didn't actually apply for? If I was chosen for Spanish, will a very basic understanding of spanish be enough? In my resume I never stated that I was fluent. I said I was "familar" with "basic" spanish. I really hope I didn't get chosen for spanish considering what I have heard about the lack of work available. I really only wanted to apply for the english position.

Closed Thread