Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Transcription or phone jobs

Most jobs I see for transcription or entering information requires a foot pedal. Does anyone know of any transcription jobs where you use the company's own system, transcription or phone jobs where you would enter information.

I want to work from home as a contract employee but do not want to buy equipment at this time. I am, however, no sales person, definitely not pushy enough. LOL

I type approximately 85 wpm.

Thanks,

Margie
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Super WAHM

Hi Margie,

Personally, I do not know of any transcription companies that provide a foot pedal for you. It has something to do with employment laws regarding employee / contractor relationships. As a contractor, you are in business for yourself and providing a service....so that's why we are supposed to provide our own equipment. It may not be as expensive as you think. I purchased mine used from eBay for around $30.

In order to get a better response, you may want to post this in the transcription folder.

Good luck!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Grand WAHM

Also, as a contractor, you can write off any job related equipment you purchase.

You may also want to search this section of the forum for transcription and take a look at the different transcription positions that were posted.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:59 PM
WAHM Master

I bought the foot pedal that I use for transcription from Express Scribe, I believe, and I've had it for more than ten years. Knock on wood. Come to think of it, I should probably purchase a backup. You can buy very inexpensive headphones to get started in transcription. I bought my first pair at Big Lots, and they lasted for years.

As an independent contractor, you will file a Schedule C at tax time. Any equipment you bought the previous year can be deducted as an expense, so keep all your receipts.

I really think transcription is one of the least expensive work-at-home jobs to get into. As someone said above, you can buy a used foot pedal on eBay. Just make sure it doesn't have an old style plug. Mine does, but I bought a converter for it at Radio Shack.

Good luck to you!
Old 11-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Hopeful Transcriptionist

I recently purchased a Start Stop Universal System with a foot pedal and headphones. I am looking for entry level work in general transcription. I'm hoping I can put my equipment (and myself) to work soon.