Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:40 AM
WAHM Regular

If you find something that works for you and they do not have benefits you may want to look into disount benefits very similar to health insurance and such but much cheaper and no deductible, co-pays, and the will accept all ongoing conditions let me know you need assistance in that area.

Jennifer
AmeriPlan
812-605-2213

Last edited by cibermom; 03-30-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: remove links - please use signature for self-promotion links
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2012, 09:52 PM
WAHM Fanatic

In my opinion, I'd prefer being a contractor. I don't like having a boss telling me what to do. I like the the freedom being my own boss . Good luck to you!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Registered WAHM

Default need work

hii me and my husband are currently out of work and have two small children i cant find a job anywhere and my unemployment has now denied me there are so many work at home sites now im just wondering which ones anyone thinks is better or which they prefer thank you any feedback would help alot
Old 05-14-2012, 11:03 AM
WAHM Regular

Since you have two small children, and if all else fails, could you consider running a daycare from home? We had our kids in daycare early on and it was never satisfactory. An at-home situation with a real mom would have been a welcome situation for us. We were paying over $1000/mo for two kids full time. If you could take in four maybe you could get $2000/mo or even more if daycare is expensive in your area.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 AM
WAHM Regular

I'm nervous about taxes this year, as it is my first as an independent contractor, but I really love working at home.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:25 PM
WAHM Regular

Default No Problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine1 View Post
I'm nervous about taxes this year, as it is my first as an independent contractor, but I really love working at home.
Once you start doing your own accounting it becomes second nature. There is countless software out there to use, but I personnaly find it is not nessesary. I just do my own on paper writing down my expences as opposed to my income. This is what most people call a balance sheet.. And I would recommend keeping it up to date on a monthly, or at least a quarterly basis!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 AM
WAHM Regular

I have been an independent contractor for many years, and yes, really dating myself here, lol, but even pre-internet and when my kids were little, I worked as a transcriptionist at home for a court reporting company, and everyone working for them was paid monthly and given a 1099 for taxes. For the type of work I have done in the last 20 years, in SOME ways, I didn't really notice much of a difference -- after all, work is work, I've usually been given a set of responsibilities and a timeline and expected to do it, whether I'm paid as an employee or as an independent contractor. (Referring to online JOBS such as call centers or data entry or transcription.) Where I did notice a difference is there is usually more flexibility as an independent contractor, just how much flexibility can vary considerably from company to company and job to job, but I personally found the flexibility to basically be like a job perk - something that didn't increase my pay in dollars but was worth a lot to me in other ways, and being an employee now would seem very restricting now, to say the least.

I have not had a problem with being an IC with regard to taxes or keeping my own records, but if you are concerned and want to know how this will impact your specific tax situation, consult with a professional who can go over your information and give you their opinion - especially if you ask when it's not tax time, they might even give you a free consultation, hoping to get your business for doing your taxes. If nothing else, it is worth it for the peace of mind if you are concerned about taxes, and you also might be surprised and find out being an IC may actually make you more money in the end.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Registered WAHM

Default IC vs Employee Pros and Cons

The pros are definitely found in the flexibility of schedule for Independent Contractors and being able to make more decisions about the way one conducts their own business. Tax time can definitely be a challenge, and it is so important to have professional help or consultations for managing the financial obligations.

Being an employee comes with its own set of benefits - mainly, the benefits. Healthcare costs are certainly nothing to scoff at so having a company pay for the majority of those bills is a great thing. However, there are normally caps on how much money can be made (hourly pay or salary may not change so much) - routine hours and work requirements can be energy draining.

If flexibility is the goal along with the along with more control over how much can be made, IC is the way to go. If knowing exactly how much each check will be along with solid benefits is the goal, being an employee is the best option.

DC
Old 07-06-2012, 04:05 AM
Registered WAHM

Hi, I am reading about all the scheduling benefits of becoming an IC and I have a question about that....can the person who hires you as an IC tell you when and how many hours you must work? Thanks!
Old 07-08-2012, 01:56 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Telecommuting Opportunities

Telecommuting jobs are another way to find a work from home job. Opportunities related to Data Entry or Customer Service may require some experience or other qualifications related to typing speed and even customer service. But for the most part, never pay for a Job, and always make sure you know who is doing the hiring! An online trip to the BBB can help rectify any concerns. And if not, there is almost always something posted through Google search when looking up employment opportunities.

This site has a list of Telecommuting opportunities and careers from companies that do hire, both contracted and employed: http://www.homejobsite.com/telecommuting-jobs.html

Closed Thread