Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Registered WAHM

Great tips given in this thread for how to write a effective resume. Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Registered WAHM

Default Get Organized

The following website offers great tips on staying organized during your job search.

http://www.ctworkssw.org/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={40363F2D-44A6-4FB1-8022-2E481725453E}
Old 02-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Super WAHM

I know people look at a resume as a necessary evil in order to get a job but if you realize that a great resume can be your ticket to getting exactly the job you want, you may be able to start the steps to improving your career. What you need to do is put yourself in the employers shoes for a moment and look at your resume from their view. What if they were looking to hire, what would they want to see?

To me (and remember my opinion isnt worth much), before you can write a good resume, you have to be of the right mindset people often fail to realize that in my opinion

Instead, make a goal, decide what you want to do, your career path and stick to that. Sure, you may trouble finding your dream job in the field you want but why take jobs like so many do with the intention of quitting rather then growing.

So here's what you need to do:
Find a list of 3 or 4 jobs you really want to apply for and craft your resume like you've never crafted it before. You will see if you if you focus your attention on a few jobs, you'll have better results

Remember that a great resume is actually an outline for the interview. If you write it to match the job and your skills then it will actually reinforce your qualifications for the job. And basically the people that get more job offers are not always the qualified people but the ones that have the resume that is close to what the employer wants.

What you want to do is create a magnetic resume. What I mean is one that will attract employers. They will see your skillset, achievements and actions that you have performed and be able to envision you as a member of their company yielding them the results that you have demonstrated and mentioned in your resume.

Create an image of the position that you want
Seeking an entry level position
After: Seek an Accounting position utilizing my experience:
• Managing a department and accounting for up to $250,000 in monthly claims.

Use titles and headers that match the job you want.
Before: Administrative After: Computerized Accounting Systems

Learning how to analyze the key words that employers provide in help wanted ads and job descriptions is a key element in creating powerful resumes. For example, read the ad and see how many key words, phrases, or skill descriptions that it includes and include those in your resume

Create content that showcases your skills
Before: Maintained records for AR/AP After: managed over 1,000 AR/AP

PAR – Problem – Action - Results
Fill your resume with "PAR" statements. PAR stands for Problem-Action-Results; in other words, first you state the problem that existed in your workplace, then you describe what you did about it, and finally you point out the results.

Here's an example: "Transformed a disorganized, inefficient warehouse into a smooth-running operation by totally redesigning the layout; this saved the company thousands of dollars in recovered stock."

Another example: "Improved an engineering company's filing system by developing a simple but sophisticated functional-coding system. This saved time and money by recovering valuable, previously lost, project records."

No lies, please
Seems like a no brainer, but you would be shocked to discover the amount of people that lie in their resumes. Apart from being wrong, most HR departments do background checks these days, and if you are buster it might ruin your credibility for good. I have actually been with companies who have had potential employees falsify education or work experience.

No jargon or slang
It should be common sense, but believe me, it is not. Slang should never be present in a resume. As for technical jargon, do not assume that the employer will know what you are talking about. Even if you are sending your resume to a company in the same segment, the person who will read it for the first time might not have any technical expertise.

List Achievements instead of responsibilities
Resumes that include a long list of “responsibilities included…” are plain boring, and not efficient in presenting yourself

It is a mistake to think of your resume as a history of your past. Sure, most of the content of any resume is focused on your job history. But write from the intention to create interest, to persuade the employer to call you.

I imagine the recruiter in an isle at a people store looking for the best product (candidate) for the job they need to hire for.

You may not think of yourself as a product, but essentially, you are putting your skills and knowledge on a display shelf and allowing those that pass by to see the benefits you can bring to the table vs. your competitors.

I think of it like this...we all want to be chosen, but the products with the best packaging and benefits are selected

Are you packaging yourself in the best possible manner to be selected?

What are your features and benefits? What makes you unique? Make sure to convey this information in your resume.

Show and tell them how buying your product will make their lives better. Companies hire because they're looking to fix a problem or alleviate pain and you need to present yourself as that solution.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Resume Info

There is a lot of great info posted within this thread! I think one of the biggest things that people forget though is the follow up. Your resume is only as good as you are out there selling it, so hit the pavement!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:20 AM
Registered WAHM

Thank you These are some awesome tips. This is my new favorite forum. Wow.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:47 PM
WAHM Regular

Always include at least three references even if they are not asked for. Employers like people who think ahead
Old 04-13-2010, 10:42 AM
WAHM Regular

Default resume tips...

Try to quantify what you did for the company at your last job...how was it beneficial to them and how can it benefit the next company?

If you were a waitress, rather than say waited tables, bussed tables, swept the floor--describe it like "consistently demonstrated exemplary customer service by greeting customers with a positive attitude and attempting to exceed their expectations.....see the difference???
Old 04-20-2010, 06:01 AM
Super WAHM

was watching an early morning news show the other week and they featured in the scoops part different ways of creating resumes. I saw that they now not only use white paper for resumes. It would be catchy to use other forms. Eg. I am a photographer so I can use a camera-like pamphlet for a resume. This way, it would easily catch the fancy of my targeted employers
Old 05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Registered WAHM

Very nicely written guides for resume preparation. Resumes should be neatly written and clearly pointed out. It should not be over/re-written.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:12 AM
WAHM Regular

Hi

Following are some tips for writing Resumes:

* Use Titles or Headings That Match The Jobs You Want
* Use Design That Grabs Attention
* Create Content That Sells
* Quantify and Use Power Words
* Analyze Ads and Job Descriptions to Identify Key Words
* Identify and Solve Employer's Hidden Needs
* Sell the Benefits of Your Skills
* Create An Image That Matches The Salary You Want
* Prioritize the Content of Your Resume
* Tweak and Target Your Resumes and Cover Letters

I think these tips will help in writing a powerful resume.

Thanks