Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:50 AM
WAHM Addict

Dear WAHM.COMer's!

I have updated this original post as I am seeing posts getting posted to folders that might not get you the answers that you want...basically in the wrong folder..lol..so here goes...

To get you acquainted with wahm I will take you on a quick tour! This link http://www.wahm.com/forum/is the main page for the message boards..Your first stop should be "WAHM.COM Announcements" inside this folder are 4 different "threads" of discussion that should be read. They are...

Posts Here and How to Behave

Welcome to WAHM.COM Start Here

No Ads!

Link to the Old Board.. Just keep this link in mind for now for further researching later on ..

Now go back to the main message board http://www.wahm.com/forum/and scroll down and have a look to see the different areas of information that are here and the various different folders each contains.

If you are looking for a BUSINESS..then the folders to check out would be "Business Advice and Business Topics" and then the various other folders further down the main forum page..depending on what interests you.

If you are looking for a JOB then the Telecommuting Moms folder would be the place to start. At the VERY top of this folder is"READ THIS FIRST---FIRST STOP FOR NEWBIES"....read this to the end!! On page 7 of that post is this link If You Really Want A J-O-B READ this as well...(this is thepost that follows now below..the original one..after "Other great WAH Forums"[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]) Also check various other folders further down the main message board..eg..if youare interested in writing or finding about what kinds of writing jobs are out there that can be done as a wahj.

Make SURE you also read the 2folders under "The first stop for newbies" which are..

1)"Posts from Craigslist"

..the firstpost is from Cheryl..and states..

"If you find a job on Craigslist that you wish to share with everyone here, AND IF THE LISTINGS STATES THAT'S IT'S OKAY TO POST ELSEWHERE,PLEASE POST THE "LINK" TO THE JOB POST!"

I think that work for all of us.

One of the problems with cutting and pasting is that when the listing changes or is removed from Craigslist, it is not changed where it has been pasted.

Thank you all and please let me know if you have any questions."

2) "How do you search Craigslist" ..excellent info throughout the whole post!

Have you checked out WAHM COMPLETELY!! There is a lot of info here, besides the message boards,that I KNOW people are missing. For instance did you know Cheryl posts jobs hereWAHM Job Listings WAHM Links WAHM Businesses

AND Did you know Cheryl is a [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]Cartoonist! !!

Did you know one of our current posters has beenWAHMEED[img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img]

Here is another link that is helpful Other Great WAH Forums

Orginal Post below.....

I just thought I would post this as I am seeing more"help me" posts, peopleaskingquestions that can be answered bysearching the boards(top right hand corner..SEARCH button..and yes I know the search function seems to time out a lot..but..keep trying..lol..search one forum at a time, etc)...and some posts not getting answered..whichcould bedue to the fact thatsimilar questions are getting asked quite often and just hard to answer them all[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]time is short for all of us.

So thought this info might be worth posting...

First..keep your search organized...get a binder for writing down any and all info you come across that might be useful for you now or in the future..current leads, company names,etc..this will help you in your follow up as well when you apply for jobs(for the ones that you are able to follow up with..and yes follow up IF the position allows it..its just like "regular" job searching..oh....and do you follow up right away with a Thank You email after an interview??)

Besides using the "search" button go back and read the older threads herein the telecommuting moms folder...a LOT of info..just one example...even though a job posting might be an older one and not available now..it isstill a possible lead for the future..get the company info..go to its website..check current postings..etc..

PLUS..if you are posting a new lead ..PLEASE..do a search first to see if it has been posted already..try the companies name, the position, etc...

Oh yes..lol..I dont need to mention this because when you first came to the "telecommutingmoms" folder you readeverything hereand saw the "newbies read first" folder..actually keep checking this folder throughout your search..you never know what could be posted there [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

The other folders..eg..wahms that write(a great way to work from home and not be on the phones)..the crafting folder...the blogging folder(yes there is a way to make money off blogs..but..it takes times...there is also ppp(pay per post)...you just might find some ideas there! There are several folders at the top of the mssg board forum..but the wahm.com "announcement" folder has a link to the "old boards"...go back and read through those posts.. Some outdated info but some "leads" as well...example...the following link is from the old boards....

Tampa Bay area only....their onsite training used to bein Clearwater first.. before they allowed homebased agents..I dont know if it still is..this is where I found it on the old boards http://www.wahm.com/boards/Forum73/HTML/003730.html(pg 159) sooo...in researching this company you will come up with their website with this info about jobs https://www.sdpcareers.com/sdpcareers/careers.htmlmmm...old posting but when you follow up at their website.....

Job searching for a telecommuting job is no different ..and even harder sometimes..lol..than job searching "outside"...you have thousands of people to compete with now..not just local job hunters..in light of that fact then yes.. the competition is stiffer. Unfortunately you still need skills, some sort of training/educationand experience forthe jobs...also...even a "simple" CSR type job(one where they have mentioned few requirments for the position)is probably getting applicants with all kinds of experience, skills/education and experience...which makes it even that much harder to find a job if you dont have a lot of experience or training...as well, a good majority of telecommuting jobs are just "regular" jobs that employees have been able to approach their employers about transitioning to a homebased position..as well as the professional jobs that can be done remotely.

I would like to add the majority of "phone" jobs requireset scheduled shifts of some sort whether they allow you to schedule your ownshifts or the employer does. As well phone jobs also usually have a set shift length..any that I have seen are 3-4 hrs minimum..there is one exception..Baby to Bee (they have their own folder in the "WAHM Businesses and Work-at-Home Jobs" section of the mainmessage board page..read "Read First- FAQ's".. AFTER your initialfirst shift of 3 hrs you are allowed to log in and work an hour at a time, if you choose to do so.)Any positions that I have come across, or know of, also require a minimum amount of weekly hours. The least amount of hours required that I have seen are 20 to 25/30 hrs. The most of course would be f/t hours.

In the end the hard cold truth is..yes...thousands of people who are looking may never find a wahj..BUT..there are thousands who have...and possibly the ones who have been able to find a wahj or wahjobs...have had to find creative job searching methods..you may or may not finda telecommuting job...but to be one of the ones that do...it requires time... sometimes upgrading your education or skill set to get into a new career for example...transcription, scoping, court reporting..

If money is of PRIME importance and needed immediately(..usually is..lol)..andIF you can..then a p/t job at night, opposite spouses working hrs etc...might be the way to go while still searching for a wahj...starting a business while searching, or working outside p/t ..or even starting a business while telecommuting/working...

This takes time..and if you dont have the time..then yes other alternatives might need to be taken immediately for you to get income coming into the home. In the meantime..sit down and look at your skills, experience ..and as well....what are you interested in..if you are working outside the home nowand want to find a wahj..do you want to change careers..are there other interests that you might want to explore...are you artistic?crafty?...do you eventually want a business...you might not ..but explore all posssiblites!

And most of all...READ and RESEARCH...and yes it will take HOURS! Have you found any other sites that offer job leads? Several have been mentioned on these boards [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Have you "googled" a company using DIFFERENT search words eg (company name+forum,company name+job..etc..)..used other search engines...checked rippoffreport..etc..

The SUCCESSFUL wahms.. have been there..done that...most of us have put in time..and time is what it takes! REMEMBER it is YOUR search..we are only here to HELP!!

Good Luck!

Marg!

Edited.... I was reading this thread http://www.wahm.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=305098&PN= 1&TPN=1and Elia's post made me remember something..Thank you!

I have also been reading "my children come first even when I have a wahj"....yes that could be why a lot of us need a wahj..BUT...you WILL have repsonsibilites to that J-O-B-..that just might have to take precedence over your kids at times...even in emergencies..you might still need some sort of p/t or even f/t childcare..IF..that is what you choose..if not then look for a job wherethose considerations do not need to be taken into account..even work towards a business where you have more control...dont forget a JOB is still a job..with responsilities towards your employer..even if it's a telecommuitng position..

EDITED...Feb 6...RESUMES..a resume for a wahj..telecommuting job is very different that a regular resume..so get your resume in tip top shape! Here are some links to help you ..

This site has some resume articles..http://www.mommysplace.net/work_at_home_articles.html as well http://www.telecommute-resumes.com/has some excellent info.

Edited March 8..Thanks to the wahm.comer who mentioned this link awhile ago..I forgot about Jen's other site..lol http://resumeasap.com/resume-cover-letter-resources.html?8d4 31080

Edited April 28...Job Searching Tips!

I would suggest that the links I give after the info be checked out..there is VALUEABLE job searching info in the discussions!!

......Put this in your search engine: .com/careers "your job description" (Yes in "" marks).......

....Lesson number two. Put "" around .com/careers too. In some searches, that helped....

...I absolutely cannot believe someone hasn't thought of this before, me included. we can also try searching for ".com/employment" or ".com/jobs"...

...Don't stop there. Career pages have all types of names (careers, employment, jobs, openings, etc.). Plus domains aren't limited to .com either. ....

...or /current openings...

(Above copied from this thread http://www.wahm.com/forum/forum_post...Ecom%2Fcareers)

This thread gives an example of a job search by someone...
http://www.wahm.com/forum/forum_post...=322917&KW=

Additional Tips!

....Wow! Tell you what, do this, put this "craigslist, telecommuting, "graphic design", music" into Google. Good golly, there's a bunch of stuff to look through doing that!... (try different variations of using the quotes for this one) eg... craigslist, telecommuting, "writing"

Edited by: Margmk
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2007, 04:57 AM
Awesome WAHM

[img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img] Great post, Marg!
Old 01-20-2007, 06:13 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Well said. I am new (I have asked questions) and I have spent hours reading all I can, with a notebook at hand, and I have read through all the old forums and other forum links I have found here. I just love this site.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Super WAHM

Nicely put! I haven't been here all that long but all of the "help me" posts get a little old. That's not to say you can't ask for help because there are lots of very helpful people here. But as Marg mentioned if you do even a little research you'll find a lot of info. It does take time. When I first discovered wahm.com I was so excited about all of the information and about how active the forums are. It takes a long time to get through but it's worth it!There are always new posts. Obviously not all of them are going to interest you since we all have different interests and skills. I'm still working outside the home but have found 3 part time work from home jobs thanks to this site! It can be done even if you have to work outside the home for now.

One more piece of advice... don't pass on a job just because it's not your ideal job. Finding a perfect wah job is a dream for all of us but the truth is just like a regular job you may have to start somewhere you're not too excited about to eventually get to where you want to be. Good luck to everyone who is searching!
Old 01-20-2007, 06:56 AM
Awesome WAHM

You know, this would be a nice sticky...[img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2007, 07:12 AM
WAHM Fanatic

[img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img] Good job.

I agree, the thing to keep in mind is, keep developing your skills and apply widely and do as much research as you can. Even when you do ask questions, keep doing your own research. We can only give you ideas, we can't pass over a thousand job leads for you to pick from but we can point you in the right direction if you give us some information.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:38 AM
WAHM Regular

Yes, great post. I have been coming to this forum for a long time, not even registered, just to read up on new jobs, companies that hire, etc. I have 3 WAHJs just by reading posts, old and new! I finally registered so I could ask a question about whether a company was legit or not, after searching the BBB and this site for info.

Reading is the best way to educate yourself, then you ask questions!

I hope everyone has a great new year, with lots of new opportunities!

Libby

Old 01-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Super WAHM

AWESOME POST!

I totally agree with everything posted. I still have a "regular" job while I am working on building up my freelance career. I am also proofing and other things to add additional streams.

If I were to add one thing to your AMAZING post it would be - don't put all of your "income" in one place. Find multiple part-time WAH opportunities and then if something happens with one you have others to fall back on.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:52 AM
WAHM Regular

Great post! [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2007, 09:23 AM
WAHM Addict

I am sorry for bumping this..looks like we are getting the same questions again...lol..and I even posted this link in the "NEWBIE THREAD"...I know its back on page 8 today..lol..but come on folks...I mean this in the nicest way..and it benefits YOU in the long run....