Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:49 AM
WAHM Master

I am taking care of my 82 and 85 yr old aunt & uncle, both of which are very ill.

Anyway, I have obtained a slew of old photos (very faded and some slightly damaged)....how can I go about preserving them? I am indeed a scrapbooker.

In addition, they have some very yellow and faded newspaper articles that were written about them back in the 60-70's that I would like to preserve too but they are very yellow and delicate because they were not properly taken care of.

Any advice or tips?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Super WAHM

If you have good photo software you should be able to scan them into your computer and edit them from there. If you don't Google has a great program that is free called Picasa. They have a few editing tools that are awesome. Of course Adobe Photoshop rocks if you have that. That would be my first choice. I used Picasa for a few of the photos and newspaper clippings I just put in my grandmothers memory book. However, I didn't do the traditional scrapbooking. I did a published copy of it through Cherish Bound and they turned about beautiful. I put them on black background pages and they came out very white and crisp. Some were even torn and with some editing they looked perfect. Sometimes your local Kinkos or other photo shops can do it for you as well. They edit and save them on disc for you so you can print out for a traditional scrapbook or you can load and do a published photo/memory book. You probably already have done this, but make sure you get the stories too...those are almost more important than any photo you'll ever find. What a great project!!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:24 AM
WAHM Master

Thank you Tara!

I have adobe photo shop so I will play around with this and see what I can do. I might come back in here if I have any more questions!
Old 06-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Registered WAHM

Hi my mom just got married and i had the sameproblem....I wanted to use pictures of he from when she was younger and they were all faded and yellow. I took them to walgreens and they were able to copy it just like the original...so take it to a photo store or a walgreens.....hope it works out for you too.....
Old 07-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Super WAHM

If you need help using your photoshop, I've found a number of instructional videos on You Tube. Just do a search and that should help you out.

It's best if you can scan your photo at the hightest resolution possible. It will turn out the best print results. Be sure to check your scanner settings. Just throught I'd throw that in there because it's something I never thought to do, until I bought a new photo scanner and was reading on how to use it. I never changed the settings on my old scanner.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:11 AM
WAHM Regular

I would love to see how this turns out. I am so so with the scrapbooking (digital anyways) and I am slowly learning my way around. This sounds like a very sweet project for them both!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:46 AM
Super WAHM

Use Archivers Mist spray on all of your original photos and clippings...you should be able to find it at scrapbook.com or any other larger scrapbook supply places.