Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:20 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Thinking of becoming an agent...

Hi all, I have been a part of this community for several years however never came to this section before. I bought the first of 3 classes to become an agent in the state of Minnesota. I am a Teacher - well, I haven't taught my own classroom in several years due to this horrible economy. I have been substitute teaching. The money isn't that great. I was thinking of becoming an agent and doing that part time - of course being able to dedicate more hours in the summer but still have to have a normal paycheck to pay the bills. I was wondering if anyone could shed light on the industry for me. I have contacted a Broker about possibly working under them. In my state we have to work under a broker for 3 years. Is this something that could pay the bills or would I be wasting my time and money on the classes?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Dawn
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2014, 06:30 PM
WAHM Regular

You don't get a paycheck as an agent. You're an independent contractor, and you only get paid when a sale closes.

You should expect to work full time for at least 6 months before you make your first sale. Working part-time, you probably won't get any business. Brokers don't give a lot of leads to part-time agents because they typically don't do a great job managing their transactions. You'll show properties on weekends oftentimes, but all the work on your transactions happens during the week. Needless to say, this isn't a job -- it's a business that you start from scratch, albeit within the structure of your broker's office.

You'll also have start-up costs. In addition to your classes, you'll pay a licensing fee, a set-up fee to join a brokerage, a membership fee for your local association (plus MLS and electronic lockbox key fees)... About $1500, all told.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:00 PM
WAHM Regular

Wow, thanks for the reply! Then I am probably wasting my time and money! I was thinking it would be a great side job, but maybe not!!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Registered WAHM

Smile

Hello there,

Not sure if you had ever considered getting your Real Estate License to do Apartment Locating but it can be a very lucrative business to be in as well, even on a part time basis.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:47 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Think of being an agent...

Hi Dawn,

If you are thinking more of the long term, I think you can be a successful part time agent. I know someone here in San Francisco who was a school teacher and a real estate agent, and she did quite well, but she was in the business for a long time.

If you are hoping to bring in money in the short term, this is not the avenue for you. As dkellyu mentioned, there are a lot of start up costs (insurance and desk costs to the brokerage, association membership fees, etc.), so in the beginning you are spending more money than you are making. Ideally you would have a certain amount of reserves going in to the business to pay the upfront fees, possibly do some marketing, and be able to stay afloat through the hard times.

Being a real estate agent can pay off, but it really is a long term commitment as it can take time to see results.

Good luck to you!

Mary
Old 06-10-2014, 11:04 PM
Registered WAHM

I think you should work as a real estate agent. May be you like this.
Landscape Maintenance, Commercial Landscape Maintenance, Grounds Maintenance
Old 06-13-2014, 12:10 AM
Registered WAHM

Hi,
If you want to become a real estate agent, then you have to maintain some basic things. You will need to take exams, pass the exams, earn a real estate license, then find a broker to work for etc.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Awesome WAHM

In addition to becoming a real estate agent, have you given any thought to appraising real estate as well ? I know appraisers work for banks, mortgage brokers, attorneys, loan companies, etc., and this might be a way of expanding your network of contacts.

Just a thought....

To your success,

Pink Pea
Old 08-12-2014, 04:13 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Re:

Enter the real estate field only if you feel you will do justice to your job. It is not easy keeping up with clients and look into buying and selling of the property. This job is definitely not for part time.