Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:32 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Are you on Facebook all day? Could you stop if you had to?

I found I was on FB at least an hour a day. Not all at once, but checking it for 10 minutes - five or six times a day. I thought "what am I doing?!" - I could write and sell an article in that time!

So one day, cold turkey - I inactivated my account (no announcements made, if people want to contact me they can email or - GASP - call or visit!)

I thought it would be hard but it's great! I know I am saving close to 7-10 hours a week (that's a full work day when you think about) and I feel "lighter" if that makes sense.

If I ever go back again, it'll be strictly professional. Or perhaps I'll set up Linkedin,

Anyway, that 's my story. It's a bit hard with friends and family all over the world but I find I prefer email, phones and the ever great Skype. Something about FB made me feel it was far more impersonal that I had imagined. (not to mention I don't have to listen to people whining, looking for attention or announcing that their kid pooped in the potty. Hey moms - no one wants to hear that, it's only cute to you! And even that's weird!)

Even if only on now and again, when I add how how much real time people spend - it really is a lot of time. I'm loving my privacy again!

Anyone else give it up? Or thinking about it?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2010, 09:20 AM
WAHM Regular

I would say I'm on Facebook about an hour a day. Part of that is work related though. I'm a personal trainer, and have a page on FB for that as well as a blog, so I use FB to draw followers to my blog. Personally though, I have reconnected with old friends that I never would have found again if it hadn't been for Facebook. I love it for that reason. I don't rely on it for socializing with friends, but I do use it to organize getting together with friends and family in "real" life
It will be interesting to hear other responses!
Samantha
Old 10-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Registered WAHM

Default Yeah...WAY too much.

I do love Faceboook since all of my family is far away it's nice to share day to day things w/them..especially w/the kids. Posting pictures of games while they are going on & stuff..that part is really cool...I do use it for my business as well but to be honest..I would say I probably spend WAY too much time on Facebook!!! It is a great point & I should limit myself. I have it on my phone for when I am at an event, maybe I can check it here and there but I need to limit how MUCH I check it.

I think I could stop, I just would miss that communication w/my family where they kind of feel like they are as much "in the moment" as they can be.

Maybe one or twice a day is better than spending half the day Great point love it!
Old 10-05-2010, 09:58 AM
WAHM Regular

I find that I have a tendency to go in spurts with facebook. I'll go awhile looking at it everyday and then can go days without looking at all. If I post something that I'm particularily anxious about, then there are times that I can check it mutltiple times in a day.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:46 AM
WAHM Addict

I noticed one day that I just waste time on facebook with people I even don't know, so that's why I have some rules for myself- just one or two visits a week, to check the messages, and that's it!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:03 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I really love facebook because it keeps me updated on all my friends. Like I wouldn't have known about an accident a friend was in on Sunday had I not seen it posted on facebook from other friends. It also keeps my friends up to date with what is going on with my daughters health. I love how it has reconnected me with childhood friends. I wouldn't ever want to give it up because with being at home all the time now, I still feel connected to the outside world.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:49 AM
WAHM Master

Well...I'm here most of the time, so I'm not on FB all that much. I do love it, because I've reconnected with people I grew up with. It's been wonderful to learn what they all do now and see their families. It also helps me keep in touch with friends and past clients of mine out of state. I WILL totally remember NOT to post when my twins poop on the potty, though! LOL
Old 10-12-2010, 07:30 PM
WAHM Regular

LOL happymommy! I am on FB a few times a day for both business and personal. I like to keep up to date on family stuff, and such. I use it for business to as it is so widely used across the world. I have gone a week or so without it but honestly don't think I could delete my account! I would hate to loose connections to past friends I just "found" again!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Banned

Smile

I have managed to wean myself off of FB..... but have picked up another addiction in Swom. I find I can spend hours there but it never seems like that long. I am a bit obsessed about collecting enough points so that I cover my monthly fee (which isn't hard), and answering questions in the Open University.
Need a 12 step program for Swom
Old 10-14-2010, 06:10 PM
WAHM Regular

I do not go on facebook very often anymore. I used to - but I have found that I don't like to have everyone knowing my every move and I don't want to know theirs. I find it intrusive and I think it's probably not a good thing to be so wrapped up in it.

I mean - why do I need to know what you are thinking right this second - if we are having a conversation that's one thing. I know some of my frinds post depending on their moods and when you come back at them later - they may be happy and you bring them back down.