Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:29 AM
Registered WAHM

Question First time WAHM - nervous of how to do the work/life balance

Hi! I run the communications for a small NGO and have been working at home for the last year. We'll be expecting our first child at the end of this month and we are very excited. I'm only taking about 6 weeks off for financial reasons, but I guess it is ok as I'll still be at home with the baby...I'll just have other responsibilities to attend to as well. The plan is to go back to work the beginning of October. The demands of my job can range depending on what is happening with the organization and is very flexible.

I am very nervous about how it is going to work out...how I will take the skype calls with my boss if there is a crying baby in the background, how to breastfeed if I need to take a two-day trip somewhere. I'm thinking about hiring a student to come by for a few hours so I can concentrate, but I'm not sure how often or long I will need someone here, especially during the first few months when my LO is supposed to be sleeping a lot.

If I could get some input on how to adjust to WAHM life with a newborn that would be great!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2014, 11:43 PM
Registered WAHM

Hey there, WAHM of twins right here. I think the thing that helped me the most was having the kids on a schedule. I waited until 4 weeks to start introducing a schedule. What I did was feed every 3 hours then they would have some tummy time for about 15 minutes. Then playing and snuggle time with mommy. Then nap time, they usually napped most of the day.I wasn't super strict on the schedule it was more of to get them into a routine to kind of know what to expect and when.

One of my favorite things is a baby carrier of some sort (I like wraps/slings for newborns). It really helps to keep your LO calm. You might like it when you are doing skype calls because you can get baby all snuggled up and happy and not have to worry about much.

I got most of my work done in the first few months while they were napping, but I didn't really start working until they were 2 months old and sleeping through the night. Before that when they were napping I was napping. I think something really important is to make sure that you take care of yourself too. If you are tired sleep don't try and push yourself to do the work.

Let your SO watch the baby as much as possible so you can sleep, work, eat, etc. I do not know what I would have done without my husband. He would watch the kids for a couple of hours at a time to let me get everything I needed done. Or if I was completely exhausted in the middle of the night he would get up and help even though he had to leave at 6 AM.

Maybe even look into pumping some, that way someone else can bottle feed the baby while you get some work done. This would be good for those business trips too. I believe most if not all health insurance companies cover breast pumps now. You can talk to a lactation consultant and they should be able to help you figure out how to get one if you are interested in that.

You can do it!
If you have any specific questions feel free to ask and I will answer the best I can! I hope this helps you.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:59 PM
WAHM Regular

I second the schedule. If you breastfeed it's easy to keep a baby quiet while you are on the phone. You can aim the web cam towards your face. When they get mobile, if you could create a safe area with safe toys around your desk. We did this in an area where I baby proofed the office and a little bit of hallway.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:09 AM
Banned

I have been a WAHM for six months and I am loving every part of it. I get to earn my own money and I got to spend most of my time with my kids. The down part is that the social life is limited or none at all.But the greatest part, I get to see every milestone of my children. Pay is not that good but that is so incomparable to the joy of being there 24/7 mom to my kids and wife to my husband.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Registered WAHM

Default expecting first..

I've discovered working from home promoting affiliate products to be lucrative because they pay 50%-75% commissions and the best part is you work for yourself, not a 9-5 from home.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:57 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Great question! I haven't had my baby yet (but I do have another child...17 year old next month) but I do work (outside of my home for a couple of hours a day but most of my work is done at home). Definitely get your baby on a schedule.
As far as breastfeeding goes, you'll need to pump so that your help (SO or babysitter) will be able to feed baby while you're on a call and while you're out of town. Just don't introduce the bottle until after the baby is 1 month old...bottle feeding is so much easier for babies so if you introduce it too soon that is all he/she will want but you don't want to wait too long to introduce it...they say 1 month is the perfect time.

I am assuming that when you will be taking conference calls you'll know ahead of time so talk to your babysitter about that and let her know that you won't have a set schedule for her...you'll call her a day or so in advance when you need her help. There's no point in hiring someone to be there at a set time every day or every other day when you don't need the help. I'm sure she'll understand and make sure you have a back up babysitter (just in case).
Old 11-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Grand WAHM

Welcome to WAHM it's nice to meet you.

Teresa
Old 11-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Registered WAHM

Default WAH momma here

I find working at home while being able to watch my children is the best balance for me. There are not many legit paying WAH jobs out there where you can have a screaming baby in the background lol But when you do find that position, you do not want to let it go!

Tags
first time mom, infant, newborn, travel