Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:11 AM
Awesome WAHM

Default Water Birth

With this baby I have decided I want to do an at home water birth. Has anyone done this before? If so, what was your experience like? I go for consultation on Tuesday but wanted to hear from others who have actually tried this route to see if it is something that I should try.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Grand WAHM

wow.. good for you lady. I applaud you I have never experienced it. Please let us know how it goes. I would be interested in hearing your story.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:48 AM
WAHM Regular

That's fantastic!! I haven't had a homebirth/waterbirth as homebirths aren't taken to kindly in Delaware. BUT, I wish I had at least gone unassisted and just done it at home. It's truly so much safer than hospital births!
Old 06-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Awesome WAHM

I am thinking it is safer also. Plus there are no IV's and medicines involved either.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:35 PM
WAHM Regular

No IV's, no medications, no pushy medical staff, you won't be laboring on your back... it's really better than the alternative of a hospital birth.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:55 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSlowpoke View Post
No IV's, no medications, no pushy medical staff, you won't be laboring on your back... it's really better than the alternative of a hospital birth.
Definitely. I like the whole relaxing environment. Also, the fact that after birth is over I can relax in my own comfy bed instead of a small, cold hospital one. I go in this evening for consultation I am scared but excited to.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:31 AM
WAHM Regular

I had 2 water births--and highly recommend them! They really help many moms (myself included) relax. And...tearing is less common too. My water-birth boy was 10 lbs 14 ounces and I didn't tear enough to need stitches. That says something!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:57 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaWilson View Post
I had 2 water births--and highly recommend them! They really help many moms (myself included) relax. And...tearing is less common too. My water-birth boy was 10 lbs 14 ounces and I didn't tear enough to need stitches. That says something!
That's my concern. I went to consultation and asked a million questions and I am going to do it. However, my concerns now are the mid wife doesn't check to see how dilated you are, she doesn't encourage pushing, and in the event something was to occur she would more than likely not be able to save me or the babies life. My other births I didn't experience any complications but that last one still scares me. But, I am guessing even at the hospital if something was to go wrong unexpectedly they wouldn't be able to save the mom or baby either.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:28 AM
WAHM Regular

If your midwife doesn't have the skills to intervene if there is a problem and detect it with enough time to get you proper care if it's needed, you need to find another midwife. That is simply unacceptable.

I am pregnant with my 3rd baby right now and planning a homebirth. Both of my children were born in free standing birth centers with midwives. I labored in the water with my son, but he was actually born in the bed. My daughter's labor was mostly in the water, and she was born there too. It was wonderful! She was 9lb 15oz and I didn't tear a bit.

While midwives don't often check for dilation and won't tell you when to push or how long, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to recognize a possible complication or problem if one exists. The fact that your midwife told you that (did she tell you that or did you assume?) really bothers me. This is what gives midwifery a bad name and lead to bad outcomes. I would find a new one immediately!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:48 AM
WAHM Regular

I planned to have water births, but found out that I didn't like being in the water. It helped for awhile, but I didn't like it- it was too hot and I wanted to get out, so I did. Best of luck to you. I hope you have a really great experience.