Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:36 AM
WAHM Regular

I've seen many, many video fly-bys on real estate websites for luxury or estate homes. I think it's actually quite common, especially in places like California where luxury is the norm. The obvious question here is, if they can do it, why can't you? Is it just because they haven't gotten caught yet? Or does money talk, and the homeowners smooth the way for them because they want that epic footage?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnPhotog View Post
I've seen many, many video fly-bys on real estate websites for luxury or estate homes. I think it's actually quite common, especially in places like California where luxury is the norm. The obvious question here is, if they can do it, why can't you? Is it just because they haven't gotten caught yet? Or does money talk, and the homeowners smooth the way for them because they want that epic footage?
It's legal, just using drones to do it for commercial purposes isn't.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewW View Post
It's legal, just using drones to do it for commercial purposes isn't.
That's my question, though. These people are using drones. How are they getting away with it if it's illegal?
Old 10-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnPhotog View Post
That's my question, though. These people are using drones. How are they getting away with it if it's illegal?
Nobody has caught up to them yet.

Still a pretty new area, even if they do know about this use not sure any of the agencies involved would really do much at this point.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:30 PM
WAHM Regular

Ah, that explains it then.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Awesome WAHM

Ya, there are a lot of photographers/videographers who still do it even though it is illegal (for commercial purposes). You can do it for a hobby as long as there is no pay involved.

There is a big grey area on what will happen if you do get caught. Some people who are safe about their flying habits have less to worry about as they might not get reported. However, if they do get caught there is no real answer to what will happen. It can be as little as being told to stop by the FAA, it could mean a suspension when it does become legal, or more problems for them to try to become legal. It is such a really grey area. I can only imagine if you are doing it for commercial and you damage property or a person. I am sure they will throw the book at you to make an example.

The other loophole is they might be doing it for "free" right now to build a base and experience. I really don't think they are offering it for free though (maybe un-reported payments).

The biggest thing I think with this is unsafe procedures. You are taking a big risk as a hobby or professional use.

As a hobby, if you are not flying at a field with insurance (I have flown planes before) and you crash. Think of a 4 lb aircraft with a 3 lb camera (yes you can go lighter with a smaller rig and gopro and get great results), what kind of damage it will do falling from 15+ feet off the ground (anything lower would be best to use a pole). Not only will you lose the aircraft and camera, but if you hit a car that could be a few grand in damages. If the car is driving down the road and wrecks into another car b/c of your aircraft falling and hitting them it gets bigger. Now you have no insurance so it goes against the car owner and then they sue you.

Most use LiPo batteries which can go up in flames when damaged, a whole new level of excitement. Imagine it hitting someone as it fell if over a populated area. You can get sued and no insurance will really hurt you. Without insurance, safe practices, preflight checklists, etc. you are under a big risk.

Now make it a commercial endeavor. You better have insurance, one crash can lead to the loss of your business, especially if it's an illegal act. Hurt some one b/c you were negligent with your craft and you might end up with worse.

Until the FAA makes their decision on this over the next year, these people who do it now are taking a huge risk in my opinion. If you want to practice take it to a field where if you have a failure you only lose the aircraft. Or even an area with no people or property to damage. I think once the law comes into effect that more insurances will have to become available for this type of activity.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:24 AM
Banned

Could be getting closer:

FAA takes initial steps to introduce private drones U.S. skies - CNN.com
Old 11-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Awesome WAHM

I saw that as well. It's getting closer to a reality. I just love the comments, I'm going to shoot it down. Really you will unload your rifle into the air with no regards to what might happen to attempt to shoot down an rc item. I understand the concern for privacy, but those that are doing it to invade someone's privacy will just do it as a hobby, which by the way is legal currently. Or to deliver some sort of flamming bag of poop. Those that are looking to do it for commercial purposes are not going to take those risks.

I can only imagine as these things get bigger and allowed over the US, what companies like UPS or Fedex will do. I mean with some programming you can have them follow way points, take off and land themselves.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Awesome WAHM

I have also noticed a lot of tv shows starting to use these drones. Which makes me question how they get approval or are they just doing it without right now. I know it's commercial work as that's the point of a tv show to make money off the commercials.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Banned

Already been some companies considering delivery using drones, likely to be more as time goes on.