Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:47 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Learning Photography for beginners

Hello,
I am just wondering if anyone can recommend any online photography courses for beginners? Or if anyone has any book recommendations for someone who is a total novice?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2012, 03:32 AM
WAHM Addict

You might try googling Online Photography Courses and see what you come up with. I have been looking around and I found the New York Institute of Photography. It looks like a thorough course, but I have no clue, really. I am sending for information from several just to see what's out there. I don't know about any books, I haven't been to my local library yet but am going to go. I'd be interested to know what you find, if anything and to hearing others experiences with this. Tommy and Andrew are BEYOND beginners, but maybe they can remember what it was like when they started and what they did They are both full of incredible information.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorah View Post
You might try googling Online Photography Courses and see what you come up with. I have been looking around and I found the New York Institute of Photography. It looks like a thorough course, but I have no clue, really. I am sending for information from several just to see what's out there. I don't know about any books, I haven't been to my local library yet but am going to go. I'd be interested to know what you find, if anything and to hearing others experiences with this. Tommy and Andrew are BEYOND beginners, but maybe they can remember what it was like when they started and what they did They are both full of incredible information.
I've heard some good things about the New York Institute of Photography but don't have any personal experience with it.

As for me, mostly just learn on my own never did any courses or anything like that.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:31 AM
WAHM Addict

I'm looking forward to getting the info from NYIP. See what they have to offer. I am all for learning on your own as well, though. I just need a good place to start. I'm trying to learn the 'vocabulary' right now.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:54 AM
Awesome WAHM

I have also learned on my own just from experience, some classes on art during high school (composition, colors, and contrast), and from online reading.

If you go to your local library look for any books from Kodak. Usually a yellow cover, they are always filled with great info. Most of them will be on film but the info translates to digital easily. Any book on art such as composition, colors, contrast, etc. will help out as well. It does not have to be about photography.

As far as things online, I have visited KenRockwell.com: Photography, Cameras and Taking Better Pictures there is lots of good info and a beginner section. It's a simple site and very easy to navigate.

Another great place is creativeLIVE | a live, worldwide creative classroom some of the stuff is more advance at times but there are some basics that come up from time to time. If you attend the live class it is free, so if you are home during the day its really a great place. Some past classes you can watch for free or you have to pay to watch them on your own time.

I have enrolled for the class tomorrow on wedding photography. Even though I try to stay away from this type of work, I take it on once and a while depending on who client is. Also some classes even though its for wedding some things might be useful on other types of photography as well.

I really want to learn more about lighting and I know tomorrows class has some in it, and I always keep an eye out for classes on lighting, landscapes, architecture, etc. Things I mainly shoot.

Finally I am working on my own blog for tips and beginner type stuff as well. My family likes to shoot but they are just starting out so I get questions from them all the time. This way they will have an easy place to go to and read or reference things from me.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyH View Post
I have enrolled for the class tomorrow on wedding photography. Even though I try to stay away from this type of work, I take it on once and a while depending on who client is. Also some classes even though its for wedding some things might be useful on other types of photography as well.
My first time using an SLR camera (Minolta X-700) was at my sisters wedding, they liked my pictures better then the ones the photographer they hired took.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyH View Post
I really want to learn more about lighting and I know tomorrows class has some in it, and I always keep an eye out for classes on lighting, landscapes, architecture, etc. Things I mainly shoot.
Haven't really done much of anything with lightning myself.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:09 AM
WAHM Regular

Thanks for sharing about how you have learned. I am encouraged to know it is possible to learn on your own. I wonder if anyone has an opinion on Penn Foster's program? Is it worth the money?
Photography Certificate | Penn Foster Career School

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:03 PM
WAHM Addict

I don't know about the Photography program, but I have taken other classes thru Penn Foster and always enjoyed it.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorah View Post
I'm looking forward to getting the info from NYIP. See what they have to offer. I am all for learning on your own as well, though. I just need a good place to start. I'm trying to learn the 'vocabulary' right now.
I have done the NYIP couse about 10 years back... i really enjoyed it. They teach you all the basic and advanced techniques.. you have a tutor to help you out with questions there is website and you can go at your own pace.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:12 PM
WAHM Addict

The only thing that would stop me is the price. If it is pricey, I may not be able to swing it right now and then I guess I will have to try it on my own.