Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > WAHM Life > Pet Talk

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:06 AM
Registered WAHM

Cats all the way. Although I really do like both, I've lived with cats my whole life and, for me, I prefer the way they just get on with their own thing. Plus... there's endless entertainment with all the cat gifs around right now aha!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2017, 09:06 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Dogs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtiffan View Post
Do you like cats or dogs better and why?
Do you have perhaps another type of pet that you like better?
Describe that pet.
I tried getting a cat after I went through a divorce as my ex husband had our two pitties. I missed them terribly but couldn't have a dog where I was. The cat grew on me but then I met a man whom had terrible Asthma and my allergies with all the fur acted up. It also became hard as the 5AM meows and I was used to playing with a dog all my life, not the way a cat interacts with you. My family in NYC took the cat as they have 3 others and I eventually got a dog here. One of my pitties passed from cancer (I was completely devastated), and the other we share together still.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:14 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Losing a pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie Gauthier View Post
I'm a huge animal lover. My first two cats lived till they were 24 and 20 and then I fostered a couple. I promised myself I wouldn't get another because they would likely outlive me but I caved a year ago and I now have one cat and he's a bit of a nightmare. (I'll save the details for another time).
I do love dogs. I assist reputable rescues in my province and have been doing that for over 10 years. Sadly, rescue has become a business and so has dog breeding (people in it for the money) If anyone wants to know the difference between reputable breeders and rescues I can certainly provide that info. We all need to know what to look for so that we don't end up with a lot of heartache. I'm also a member of our local kennel club.

I've had dogs since I started living on my own (many, many, many years ago, lol). My breed of choice is Newfoundlands but I love mixes as well. My last Newfy died 3 years ago just weeks shy of his 12th birthday and it truly broke my heart, and even though I want another, I'm just not ready. I also had a collie x ( a large dog as well-I seem to like the big guys) who was the same age and he and I were partners in many dog sports. Agility and then when he could no longer jump the heights we began dancing together. I can't dance but he sure made me look good.

He was a true gentleman and everyone loved him. In the last three years of his life he earned more titles than the first 12+ years. He inspired everyone because he was so old, yet had so much heart and would do anything I asked of him. He was an ambassador for senior dogs and inspired other dog owners to continue playing with their dogs, even in their twilight years.

If you ever get a chance, check out a book called "Old Faithful, dogs of a certain age". Out of hundreds of dogs he was chosen to be in the book. It's truly a wonderful book about senior dogs and the beauty they possess in their old age. Kobi was even on Tv promoting the book. We danced our last official dance in June of last year and his last dance was at a seniors home in July. (where a group of us do demos of tricks, dancing etc., for senior homes).

In early August he decided that he was tired and I had to respect his wishes . He was a month short of being 15 1/2. The fact that he was still walking at that age and that his vet check up a week before indicated he was quite healthy, was truly a miracle.

I am in tears as I write this as my heart is still totally shattered. So much so that I don't know if I will ever be able to adopt another dog and anyone who knows me would be shocked to hear me say that...but deep down I just don't know that I can handle another loss. I find myself waking up each day putting one foot in front of the other yet not knowing who I am anymore. My life revolved around my dogs for the last 16 years. (That's what happens when we are seniors, ourselves, lol)

So that's my story on pets......love animals and can never shut up about them. I think dogs have a slight advantage over cats, in my books, though. Thanks for listening
Carrie
I understand your pain. My Nala was 15 when she passed, which was amazing from a Pitbull. My heart was shattered, 💔 And the pain was unbearable. Some don't know the pain to loose a pet. But when their a huge part of your life such as she was mine, I can relate
Old 03-15-2017, 10:07 AM
WAHM Regular

Good afternoon everyone!

I have 2 chi mixes ( Chi/Jack & Chi/Wire Terrier) and one 18 year old Him/Siamese Kitty. They are my babies. You can see them on my profile here at WAHM. Though you will also see my Precious Lady who passed in 2011 ( Pure Chihuahua).

I couldn't say whether I like cats or dogs more. Each are so different. If you have chis you know they are very reactive to noises and fiercely protective of their human. My boy Bear (Chi/Jack) prefers me over my hubby. Where as my girl Sadie ( Chi/Wire Mix ) loves her Poppi. Then there is my Kasi Roo ( Him/Siamese). She is my baby and constant companion. I love it that the siamese makes her a chatter box.

As for care of course dogs are more maintenance. Grooming, feeding and thinking about traveling even if just over night. I usually take Bear and Sadie with us. Kasi Roo can stay home. A clean potty, plenty of food and yes I leave on the TV so she thinks people are around. Though she is my easiest furbaby to care for.

Finally when they are gone I don't think I can go through the loss again. When I say they are my kids I mean it. We are a childless couple not by choice. So they fill in part that void. . Bear is now 9 years old and Sadie is 6 years old. I found them on a local classified when they were 10 months and 10 weeks old. Kasi Roo was given to me by a family member at age 8 weeks. All are my companions as I am alone a lot while my hubby works. I think any type of pet you choose especially companion pets we all know how much they mean to us.

Have wonderful Wednesday!

Last edited by starbirdy66; 05-20-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:32 PM
WAHM Regular

Dogs because the first pet I had was a cat and he did not want to play with me
Old 04-04-2017, 11:14 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyssauc3 View Post
Dogs because the first pet I had was a cat and he did not want to play with me
hahaha you should at least try it now, I like dogs, but I find cats more adorable.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:24 PM
Super WAHM

CATS.

A dog almost bit me once when I was in high school. Since then, I've been afraid of them (although not all of them).
Old 05-11-2017, 12:27 PM
Registered WAHM

Same! Something about that cat fur lol I mean, kittens are cute, if anything. But definitely a dog person!
Old 05-26-2017, 06:21 AM
Registered WAHM

Default All Animals

I have 3 dogs, but couldn't say that i like more dogs than cats.
Who doesn't like to snuggle with the little hairy ball either is a dog or a cat
Old 06-28-2017, 08:00 AM
Registered WAHM

I love all animals and really just about any pet but I prefer cats the most. I do like dogs and own two but I also own two cats and if I had to only choose to live with one or the other, I would choose cats.