Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 PM
WAHM Regular

Default What would you do here

a family who leaves their dog outside - in a crate - in a florida winter (rains) no food/waterduring days and nights (down to 30s) for about a month - (til animal control steps in)

Gets a little grey kitten (maine coon) - she is found outside - hungry and demanding attention. You see this kitten pick it up thinking it's a stray

your child tells you two days later that it does belong to the family who abused the dog - and let the male cat they owned outside all the time and he eventually disappeared

would you give her back? YES it is teaching the child a wrong lesson - but the cat would end up back on the street w/in days
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2013, 09:24 PM
WAHM Regular

Nope, wouldn't give it back.

That cat would be fixed and no one would ever know I had it.

My $.02 and feel free to flame me, but I wouldn't give it back.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:39 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I would because it's not my cat and I don't like cats. If we keep it then it's teaching my child that it's ok to steal. If it was really bad then I would go speak to the owner or report it.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:23 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannie Zavala View Post
I would because it's not my cat and I don't like cats. If we keep it then it's teaching my child that it's ok to steal. If it was really bad then I would go speak to the owner or report it.
I agree. It isn't your cat. That being said, I would take it back and tell the owners that unless they start taking care of their animals that you will report them. And then do it.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:38 AM
WAHM Regular

Animals can't make choices, but people can. I don't know how old your son is, but kids are never too young to learn about loving animals and caring for them properly. And, there is a big difference between stealing and rescuing.

I would not give the kitten back to the owners with a warning to take better care of it. From what you've said about the dog they leave out, it's highly unlikely they would care about a warning for a neighbor.

I would take the kitten in and call animal control in your area and explain that you found the cat and believe it might belong to a family that is known to neglect and abuse their animals. If you call the police, they'll just tell you to give the cat back, but if you contact animal control or an animal rights organization, they may be able to not only help the kitten but the other animals those people own as well.

It's been a while since you started this thread, but I'd be curious to see how you resolved the situation.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:28 PM
WAHM Regular

Why give it back? it's oviously not loved. I would not give it back. I would go let the dog loose to. Atleast give it a chance at freedom.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:50 AM
WAHM Master

I think you run into issues when you take the animal and yes it does send a bad message to your kids. You may see the moral line, later they may not.

However, if you see neglect, then call animal control.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:32 PM
WAHM Regular

Well I probably wouldn't give the kitten back. There is another lesson to be learned by your child. You have to be kind. Animals are not just objects, they suffer too.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:06 PM
WAHM Regular

Thumbs up

Its not teaching the child a bad lesson its teaching your child that there are irresponsible possibly evil people in this world and there is always something you can do. I did the same thing. We found a dog that I thought was a stray and took it in during a thunderstorm. I later found out he belonged to someone. When I found him he had cigarette burns all over his body and there was no way I was giving him back. When my daughter found out and said I "stole" him I told her, "yes I did and if I ever saw another animal in pain and suffering I would do it again."
Old 09-18-2013, 08:52 AM
WAHM Regular

Difficult situation indeed. I think I'd take the animal to the animal control folks and explain the situation. It doesn't sound likely that the people who have the animals would really care much if you spoke to them. There's no reason for animals to be abused and rescuing them is always a good thing.