Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Super WAHM

Default Pregnant Wolamute?

Our family wolamute has been out of heat for a month and a half. We had hoped that she wasn't pregnant, but her nipples have swollen and she eating everything she can get a hold of, even dirty dippers. She does not seem to be showing and the vet around here will not see her because of her breed. (She is a very sweet and loving dog that has no problem with aggression. I'm not liking the vet at all right now.) Could she be pregnant and not showing?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2010, 09:36 AM
WAHM Fanatic

may I ask...what is a wolamute?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Super WAHM

A wolamute is an Alaskan Malamute mixed with a wolf. In the case of ours she is mixed with a brown wolf. Brown wolves are smaller and stockier than timber wolves, which are most commonly breed with most dog breeds. That's why our vet will not see her. They told me their practice insurance did not cover any breeds mixed with wolf.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Banned

Smile

lol, when I read the title, I had a picture in my head of a walrusy, elephant sealy type of critter. Have never heard of a wolamute before.
Learnt something new today
Old 08-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Registered WAHM

She could be pregnant or she could be going through a false pregnancy. Who is her regular vet? They should be able to palpate at the very least to check for pregnancy although an ultrasound will do a much better job to confirm whether or not she is. If the vet that won't see her is her regular vet, call someplace else to get her checked. Don't tell them she is mixed with wolf. Just say she is a Malamute mix.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:58 AM
Super WAHM

Thanks for the advice. This vet has been seeing our pets for years. This dog was never taken to a vet. We gave her all her shots from home. We live in a farming area and this is common, but because we live out in no where land the only other one is the animal hospital. I felt puppies moving last night when I was petting her though so I'm pretty sure she's pregnant. The animal hospital will be our best bet if we have to take her. Yeah these puppies are going to be odd. Wolamute mixed with full blooded Winner... winner wolves anyone?

Last edited by slicing_angel2003; 08-17-2010 at 05:02 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:13 PM
WAHM Regular

Please keep us updated. I would love to see a picture of her puppies. Such a unique combination!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Super WAHM

She still isn't really showing, but from what I'm told the wolf mixes have very small litters. Her nipples have gotten huge though. We're expecting puppies within the next week or so.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:19 AM
Registered WAHM

I knew what a Wolamulte was but what is a Winner? Never heard of that breed before.

There are a couple ways to tell how close she is to delivering. First, squeeze a couple of her nipples. If milk comes out it will be any day. Second, start taking her temperature (rectally) a couple times a day. Normal temp for a dog is 101-102 degrees. Within 24 hrs of giving birth, their temp usually drops about 1 degree.

Make sure she has a whelping box set up and ready to go someplace that is quiet and comfortable for her. You want her to get used to it now otherwise you dont know where she will have her pups. It could end up being your bed.

Good Luck!
Old 08-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Super WAHM

Winner dogs are dachshunds. I just got use to calling them that. They have very short legs and thick long bodies. We have a whelping box for her, but it seems she is more interested in staying in our daughters room. There is a big pallet on the floor that she has started sleeping on.