Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:48 PM
scbutterbeans

Default Thunderstorms & Dogs, Advice Please

Hey Everyone!

I am looking for any advice on how to help relieve my boxer of her thunderstorm anxiety. I have tried the Benadryl, I have used the new Thundershirt, which did not phase her. Recently, I started giving her Melatonin, and it seems to calm her a little.
My vet offered to prescribe ACE, which is an absolute NO with boxes, or Valium. I would so love to find something more natural and drug her up, so to speak

Thanks in advance for your replies
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2010, 03:20 PM
WAHM Addict

Hi:

I've heard people say they've had good luck with Pet Calm. It's all natural herbs. You can find it online or the company I represent sells it.

Hope it helps.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:02 AM
scbutterbeans

Thanks a bunch! I will look at that
Old 07-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Super WAHM

Barb beat me to the punch, but yes.. I have heard rave reviews about Pet Calm.

Many "calming agents" you can buy or be prescribed calm the body, but not the mind. Then you are stuck with an animal who is scared to death and has every instinct to hide or flee, but can't move. With Pet Calm you are calming both the mind and body, with natural ingredients rather than medicines.

I had some customers who had great success using it over the 4th of July.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:27 AM
WAHM Regular

Many health food stores sell the Bach Rescue remedy. I have Mastiffs and this has worked great when they have anxiety of any kind. I myself have taken Rescue remedy on a few occasions and it does work.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:55 PM
WAHM Regular

Rescue Remedy is wonderful!! We used to pet sit and it worked wonders. Years ago when our dog Taz died we had to give it to his brother Storm because he would drool all night without Taz. It really is a great product!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:45 AM
WAHM Regular

For puppies, I have had a lot of success with exposure. In your case unfortunately this is probably not an option though.

I have a Weimaraner (which are know for their anxiety issues and seperation problems). As a puppy we exposed her to anything loud or frightening we could think of mostly because my family, who live close by, own their own Pyrotechnic (fireworks) business. Basically we just held her and hugged her and pet her as the loud noises were occurring to show her that she was safe.

Our weim has handled any loud situation very well since her exposure at a young age. She sits calmly through fireworks displays as long as she can see them. She does usually need the reassurance of a touch or hug during them though. She also does very well at parades with loud vehicles and sirens.

Even with early exposure thunder can be an issue. She tends to bark and become upset if lightening isn't accompanying the thunder. It is almost as if she needs to visualize something to understand why there is a loud unusual noise. When thunder without lightening occurs my best method has been to watch tv with her in a room with an air conditioner running. That way I am petting her and mixing the sound of thunder with other noises to relieve her stress.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:48 AM
scbutterbeans

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I sure appreciate your thoughts! I finally come across a new product called Composure. It is made by Vetri-Science and not cheap. It is all natural and is amazing with Dixie. It does not knock her out, etc...I give her 3-4 tablets and it basically just relaxes her during a storm. Take Care

~Debbie