Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:01 AM
Registered WAHM

Default Feel like I chose wrong direct sales company... Help!

So just about a month ago I started in a direct sales company (which I won't be naming simply because I love it and don't want to discourage anyone from joining), which had a product I absolutely love. My husband and I figured even if it didn't work out, the starter kit was a great deal and had stuff I would use.

I have had 3 parties since starting (one is finished, one closes tomorrow, and the other closes in a few days), and I've only had 2 small sales (one of them not even associated with the parties I held- I don't even know who the person was, nor is the person friends with the people hosting parties). I've appealed to close to 300 people through the parties, and have had at least 2 dozen people seriously interested in the products. My up line has said that I've been doing all the right things (I've investing a lot of time into the parties).

I'm thinking the price range is what is scaring people away. The products themselves appeal to a smaller group of people, too, and I'm starting to wonder if I chose the wrong company to go into. I am a young mom, and most of my friends are young moms without a lot of extra money to spend on good quality "frivalties". I was originally thinking of joining a food company (because everyone needs food and appeals to a wide array of people) but I did not.

I'm starting to think about a food company again, but I'm wondering if it's too soon to make that decision. I just feel like I have the wrong products for my circle of people (and their circles of people as well), and I don't want to invest too much time or energy into a company that might not work out. Has anyone had stories like this that turned out successful? I know with this you need to build business and it doesn't explode right away, but I've had friends in other companies doing so much better at this point in time, and honestly I need to be selling more to help with my families financial needs. If I continue at this rate I won't even make the quota to remain active in the company!

Help!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2015, 06:55 PM
Super WAHM

It can be hard to figure out whether it is just anxiousness or true regret. My suggestion is to review other decisions you've made in your life where you had similar feelings, and see if there is a pattern in how you chose to solve it and what was the outcome. This may help you figure out this decision.

I know that I can trust my gut, and when I truly reflect on the way I feel when I think of each option, my gut tells me which it is, all reasons, justifications, fear aside. So that is what I default to when I have tough decisions - trusting my gut. You need to find what works for you.

Don't let other people's perceived financial situation sway you one way or another. I often prejudged people and what was important to them. I found that I was usually wrong. Go with a company and products you believe in, get excited about, and will use yourself. Your passion will be an asset in your direct sales business.

I wish you luck with your decision.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:24 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttobeWAHM View Post
So just about a month ago I started in a direct sales company (which I won't be naming simply because I love it and don't want to discourage anyone from joining), which had a product I absolutely love. My husband and I figured even if it didn't work out, the starter kit was a great deal and had stuff I would use.

I'm thinking the price range is what is scaring people away. The products themselves appeal to a smaller group of people, too, and I'm starting to wonder if I chose the wrong company to go into.

Help!
I can truly relate to your dilemma, as I've been there more than once! I've always chosen a product line and company that I passionately love. Higher price points are good and bad. Your orders add up quickly, but sometimes you get less of them! I've been with direct sales jewelry companies for many years, and found parties difficult to book. Lots of folks are struggling financially, I can truly understand that. Building any business takes time and continuous effort. The internet does allow us to reach more people outside of our circle. Blogs, Pinterest, Instagram, facebook, can all extend your reach. But they do take time. There's a point where you have to listen to your gut. If you always feel like you're swimming upstream, your business will not be fun and become a burden. I've stayed in companies too long...and spent too much of my own money. I take care of my elderly mom, and it's keeping me housebound more. I needed to rethink my business. I'm so glad I did. I went with something I could incorporate in my day, no more parties, affordable product line. And now I have people coming to me instead of me chasing them. I actually feel good about it, like I'm helping them, instead of just feeling like their sales are helping me. Think of the main way to make money in your company..such as parties...do you love it? If so, stick with it. If not, get out now and find something that works. I hated booking parties, constantly coaching hostesses, the parties where no one came, giving up my weekend evenings and afternoons. And sometimes people may buy a pricey product or two from you at a friend's show, but it doesn't mean they will be return customers, you'll always be chasing new ones. These are all things to consider. Hope this helps, feel free to inbox me if you have any more specific direct sales questions...I've got about 30 years of experiences...lol! Good luck.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:25 PM
WAHM Fanatic

We have all been in your shoes at one time or another. Take it from someone who has done what you are thinking of doing- DON'T QUIT. Some people have a slow start and others come out of gate with a vengance! Don't ever compare your business to someone elses. This has always been my downfall. I finally realized it is MY business and I may not be the super star with all the ribbons and free trips but I still love my business!

What I heard you say is you love the company and you love the product- that means a lot! Just keep sharing your passion and it will happen and like one of the other posters mentioned-don't prejudge customers based on what you think they can afford. That is why there are hostess benefits! Also, if getting out of the house is difficult because of family commitments-try online and catalog parties!

I started with a company almost 2 years ago and started out pretty good-then I started to doubt myself and my products.I even joined other companies in between and ended up doing nothing with them.

But months later, women started asking me if they could have shows with my original company because they love my products! I have joined a Consultant of the Month club on facebook and am getting all kinds of new customers! I really do love my company and my product, I just needed to believe it!

I hope this helps you. Good luck!

Last edited by cabimom; 11-07-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Awesome Company

I have joined a few direct sales companies and loved the products but could not get over the minimum party/sales and always ended up spending more than I could ever imagine making. I have finally found one that I love and I completely believe in. They do not charge you for your website like all the rest, they even pay you back for your shipping in free product points. I went to a seminar and expected it to be all about sales. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the majority of the seminar was about how the product had impacted the lives of those who were speaking. I started 8 months ago and although I have not had 1 class yet, I have 10 people on my team. This company has a 65% retention rate and has a product that applies to all demographics. If you would like to learn more please visit my website: mydoterra.com/andreamcnulty.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:19 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcnulty View Post
I was pleasantly surprised to find that the majority of the seminar was about how the product had impacted the lives of those who were speaking.
I can't say enough that your product is more important than pretty much anything else. If you have no product or if your products isn't tangible, it's a lot harder to demonstrate to people why they need your product. Also, if you are not passionate about your product, you probably won't find much success. It doesn't sound like either of these apply to you...

With that said, beyond loving the product, I think it needs to have mass appeal and be priced right OR have a strong niche market of buying customers. There are so many great products out that there are simply unattainable to the masses. You might make 50% commission on a $200 product, making $100 profit... but if you sell it to someone one time, and they never buy it again, you spend so much time trying to get new customers. I have a product that sells for $17, where I make about $7-8 profit on each one, and I sell 5-6 units without even trying when I do events or parties. When customers run out, they call me asking for me to order them more. Now, this isn't about me, and I'm not trying to sell you on my business - just saying that product can make the difference. For this particular product, I never run a special, never give a discount, and I have people calling and asking about it everywhere I go.

If I were you, I would take a look at your products, decide if they have mass appeal or even if there is a niche market that you're just not targeting. That could be the difference.

Feel free to reach out if I can help in any way

Last edited by BTHodgeman; 01-07-2016 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Clarifying post.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:10 PM
WAHM Master

I agree with what everyone said. You love your product. I'd look at:
1.) What type of parties are you doing? FB or in person? Not all products lend themselves to social media. Some are better in person, especially while introducing them.

2.) How are you approaching the 300 people? That's almost too many. It needs to be personal.

3.) What is it about your product you love? Why would others love it too?

For food, I think you'll have a harder time with tight budgets as the mixes are a bit pricey. I love Tastefully Simple, but buy frugally, or trade because it's more then I'd normally spend, and I have the budget to shop. So again, you are back at a small market. Unless you just love it so much.

Give this company another few months. Look for other avenues of training. Is your upline new?

Good luck!

Debbie
Old 01-13-2016, 06:34 PM
WAHM Veteran

I never worked a warm market in my direct sales career - meaning I never relied on or sold to family or friends. I always found the customers and team members who had the same passion for the products I did.

I understand your concern but I fear if you're trying to find something to fit your current circle, then it'll quickly dry up. Everyone, regardless of company or product, need to move away from their warm market if they want to thrive and continue to grow. Without doing so your business will be short lived and you'll find yourself saying "no one wants any or any more." The key is to constantly bring in new customers or have repeat customers.

If you picked your company because you are passionate about the products, then it is a good fit. Continue to work it and work on meeting needs of those who need or want what you're offering. If you love the products, others will too.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:56 PM
WAHM Regular

From what you have written, here is my take on things:

- you like the products you sell.
- you purchased the business kit which gave you enough product so you at least feel like you "broke even"
- If you have hosted 3 parties with enough attendees and only a small percentage have purchased or are even considering purchase, then that is a red flag in my books. In essence, you have tested the waters and the fish are not biting. You either need to cast your line again or find another pond to fish in.

Not knowing what company you are selling for, I can definitely tell you from my personal experience, there is a HUGE difference between food companies and other specialty companies. Everyone eats so literally everyone is a legitimate potential customer. And there is always the opportunity for repeat business.

Not sure which food company you are considering. My wife is involved with a food company and her success has been tremendous. Whatever your choice, find something you are passionate about so that you can ride the waves of excitement and can weather the storm of lows. You will inevitably have both, trust me.

Bradley
Old 01-30-2016, 09:24 PM
Registered WAHM

While I don't have much for advice, I know I have been in your shoes more than once! It can be really frustrating when you love it, but it is hard to get others interested in what you have to offer through DS.