Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:13 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Can I get a deal?

So I've just started in direct sales a couple months ago, and had a slow start... I'm just finally getting people to try product, etc... But I'm coming across this question A LOT and maybe It's just me, but I'm kind of annoyed lol.

The text I got tonight was "I want to buy, do you have any product to liquidate or can I get a deal?"

I was torn... I mean, this is a business, I am trying to make money... but at the same time I could really use the sale. So of course, I was trying to gauge how much of a deal she was looking for. She pointed out one of the products in the catalog and said that price was good... So I offered her the item at regular price but offered to cover tax and shipping this first order... This means I am losing my commission, which fine, I'm only out $4, rather than if I offered it to her at the price minus my commission and no shipping and tax which would but me out $10. I haven't heard back...

But what do you say to friends or family who ask for deals, or even just church members (as was this case)...and in those cases where you do offer a deal, what is an example of what you would offer? I just don't want her to think this is normal and I definitely don't want her passing it around haha.

The point of this business is to make money and if I keep giving deals, It'll take me twice as long to earn back what I put into it. :/
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2013, 12:00 AM
WAHM Addict

Hi! Just my opinion but I would not offer 'deals'. I would tell them that if they would book a show or party that they can get some amazing 'deals' with the hostess rewards. Like you said, you are in business. Wishing you luck
Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 AM
WAHM Veteran

I don't mind at all when people ask. If I choose, I always have the ability to say, not right now but you can get (then explain the host reward program). Or it opens the recruiting discussion how they can get commissioned on their own purchases.

I absolutely don't believe in losing money or taking a hit just to get customers. I run my business like a business and pay attention to profit margins, profits, losses, etc. Giving away the farm is setting a poor precedent. However, there are plenty of consultants, perhaps not newer ones, but those who DO have demo products or who are offering periodic personal specials.

Our company thankfully doesn't allow us to advertise personal specials but we can offer them to our own private contacts. Because my customers know they're unadvertised specials, they know to ask, just as you would when you go to a restaurant when you ask what the soup of the day is or if there is a happy hour special.

Also because we receive commission on all sales, whether it's personal sales or customer sales we as consultants pay the same as customers do. Some companies give consultants a discount up front but then don't pay commission. Because of the great way we are paid, I can tell those who are looking for me to give them a deal, that I can give it to them at the price I pay (which happens to be the advertised catalog price that everyone pays.) That usually shuts them up for asking for 'a deal'. However I really rarely get asked that. They'll either want in on a current personal special I have going, which is usually not on all product, just specific ones I highlight for that special. Or if they're not interested, they'll order online and don't have a problem with it.

When you're just starting out be careful about the foundation and tone you set for your business.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:16 AM
WAHM Master

Sure, I get that question. "Let me know when you get a good deal going on the Large Utility Tote." "Well, they were just on sale in June. Are you signed up for my monthly newsletter to hear about our Customer Specials?" "Yes but I was thinking about when you do your display sales." "Oh, ok. Well, I offer those sales to my hostesses and regular customers."

Seriously. If you don't want to buy it for the price we have, or even at a customer special price (usually over 50% off) then sorry, you are not my priority in my business. We always have a great host program to get it free. But sorry, not going to go out of my way to make sure that you know when I am selling my stuff at a discount if you have never bought anything from me any other time.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Grand WAHM

One thing I have offered that works well is an accumulative sales similar to a punch card. They get one punch/one credit for every $10 product purchase. After $150.00 in product purchases, they receive a $10 gift certificate. Just be sure to indicate an expiration date for the program (ex: 1 year or a dedicated date; say Expires June 30, 2014).

This also helps encourage repeat orders. I had kept track of their sales in a notebook of the folks that started on the program rather than a punch card. But, whatever works best for you is what is important.

Good luck!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:28 AM
WAHM Regular

Yeah I've been working on a few different ideas for loyalty programs, etc. I'll post another thing on that a bit later Thanks for the input!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:13 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca5454 View Post
One thing I have offered that works well is an accumulative sales similar to a punch card. They get one punch/one credit for every $10 product purchase. After $150.00 in product purchases, they receive a $10 gift certificate. Just be sure to indicate an expiration date for the program (ex: 1 year or a dedicated date; say Expires June 30, 2014).

This also helps encourage repeat orders. I had kept track of their sales in a notebook of the folks that started on the program rather than a punch card. But, whatever works best for you is what is important.

Good luck!

Great idea!!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:14 AM
WAHM Regular

When people ask me for deals, I share the monthly specials or remind them of hostess benefits for hosting their own show. Otherwise the only discount is for my mother LOL.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:06 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Here's my response to "can I have a deal?"

"Sure! Everything in the catalog has three prices: full-price, half-price, and free."

Obviously, the half-price and free are for hostesses. I also am happy to add them to my mailing list and invite them to my retired jewelry sale, but I give my hostesses an extra 10-20% off my products, and they get first crack at my inventory.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Awesome WAHM

I agree that it can be annoying when people ask for a deal beyond what the current customer specials are. They most likely don't offer special "customized" deals in their line of work but somehow expect that DS women are more than able and willing to give it away. Do they think we're desperate? lol...

It doesn't get better than free, and they can earn free by hostessing or just collecting orders for you. Let them know that your specials are reserved for preferred hostesses and customers and that they can become one by _______. Fill in the blank with what you decide. Also, if they'd like to get things for your price, then can sign on as a personal use consultant, and turn in their own orders. You could say something like, "actually, I am doing this as a business, so I can't offer it to you at my price, but I'd love to help you sign up so that you can get the discount...

Having said that, I know that everyone loves a deal. I personally don't expect people to give me a deal that is cutting into their own profit, but others don't see things that way. I have around 60 retired products that I have posted on various closed sites (which is our company policy), I'm offering it for 30% off, plus no original tax and shipping. I'm also offering an additional discount if they purchase 3 items. I think it is a fabulous deal....well apparently it isn't good enough. It's a lot of work to post, pack, ship, plus the price of gas, etc. I've decided I'm not going to slash the prices in desperation, it's not worth my time. If I can't unload them, I'd rather donate them..

Ok...that was a little vent...but I'm realizing more and more how much more my time is worth..and direct sales has a lot to do with time..and if something about it isn't worth my time...next.

Of course, we have to be polite about it..but again, let them know this is your new BUSINESS and your family is counting on you. And don't feel bad about...you're the CEO, you decide.. and yes, you're right, others will expect the same discount.

Last edited by accents4you2; 08-28-2013 at 08:54 PM.