Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:31 AM
WAHM Regular

Unhappy Lack of support?

Anyone else end up getting disappointed by friends and family who seem interested and supportive, at first, but once you really start trying to get your name out there, they disappear and ignore you?

All I'm asking my FB friends to do is share a page... they do it every day for every other business, but it's impossible to get more than 3 friends to even participate... My own mother refuses to even mention my business.

I find it mildly irritating that friends who were ecstatic upon my choice to sell chocolate are now not interested in hosting, even with additional hostess specials offered... Everyone seemed excited when I announced my open house, which I scheduled as an all day event and made it clear that it was just a "stop in and try a sample" and not one soul came by.

So I guess my question here is, after all my whining lol, have any of you had to deal with similar situations when starting your business and how did you overcome the initial hesitations? How did you get over that first hump and get that first party and those first sales? I'm trying to build myself up, my husband has been so supportive, but I would like my friends to be supportive as well, just as I have been for their ventures. Am I wrong to be hurt that my "friends" are being this way?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyvya View Post
Anyone else end up getting disappointed by friends and family who seem interested and supportive, at first, but once you really start trying to get your name out there, they disappear and ignore you?

All I'm asking my FB friends to do is share a page... they do it every day for every other business, but it's impossible to get more than 3 friends to even participate... My own mother refuses to even mention my business.

I find it mildly irritating that friends who were ecstatic upon my choice to sell chocolate are now not interested in hosting, even with additional hostess specials offered... Everyone seemed excited when I announced my open house, which I scheduled as an all day event and made it clear that it was just a "stop in and try a sample" and not one soul came by.

So I guess my question here is, after all my whining lol, have any of you had to deal with similar situations when starting your business and how did you overcome the initial hesitations? How did you get over that first hump and get that first party and those first sales? I'm trying to build myself up, my husband has been so supportive, but I would like my friends to be supportive as well, just as I have been for their ventures. Am I wrong to be hurt that my "friends" are being this way?
Hey, don't take it personally. I have no family in my city, they are all out of town. When promoting my business, I will start with friends, but quickly move to referrals and stangers that I meet at parties, networking events and vendor events (craft shows). I also have not had much response on FB, which is fine. It just means that I have to work a little harder.

I usually don't do "open house". It just gives folks an opportunity to never committ to attending. I would instead have a launch party with a start time, and follow up with them a few days before to make sure they attend. I know some ladies that offer an "on time" small gift to get them there on time. I have done well using this method. You will usually have some sales, and an opportunity to book other shows.

Jot down 40-60 names and use this list as invites for your launch party. From this list, take your top 5 people that you truly believe that will help you kick off your business, and call them or meet with them in person, and ask them to hold a party to help you kick off your business. Let them know what's in it for them (hostess rewards)

You truly have to move beyond your friends and family in order to be successful. Just think if Sam Walton had built Walmart as a store that only his family could shop in. He would have been out of business in a nano second. It is hard at times kicking off a new business, but never quit, and you will be successful.

Last edited by Bling1; 07-25-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:23 AM
WAHM Regular

Thank you for that. I really should've not done the open house, I see that now... I had just wanted it to be something that was more casual, plus I only have a small 1 bedroom apartment so don't have a lot of room to really host more than 5-6 people

I think my mom is the worst of all in this... She keeps reminding me how badly I failed @ Avon (I work at home and never got out of the house @ that time and attempted to run my business from the internet)... She refuses to share my page or anything to let anyone know about my business and she just keeps telling me how stupid it was to get involved. You'd think I was 12 yrs old or something and didn't know what I was getting into *rolls eyes*.

I'll just have to really put myself out there. FB apparently isn't going to work because word of mouth just seems to be too much to ask of my "friends" lol. Thank you I'll just need to approach people as much as that scares the heck outta me.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Awesome WAHM

I am sorry that you didn't get the support you needed but I've learned not to rely on friends and family if you're planning on building a business in direct selling. My first business I was all about reaching out to friends and family but with my current business, I've done it almost 100% online and I'm a top consultant for my company so I know it works . Yes, put your business out there. There are tons of people you can reach.

Janette
Old 07-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Super WAHM

I know it's hard not to take things personally, but I would try not to let it go with you. They're not refusing you, just the product or the opportunity at this time. When I first started my direct sales business I had a few friends selling already and so my initial circle was limited to being with. I didn't have much support from the remaining friends and family either and even though I was disappointed, I did had the voice of reason reminding me that they weren't obligated to support me.

I was bound and determined to meet people and share a product that I was passionate about. I did fundraisers, vendor events, and marketed my new business online through social media, etc. Eventually I built a very strong business and sure enough, guess what? In the end, most of the friends and family who had turned down the opportunity to host or purchase when I first started out have since come around.

So, just keep spreading the word, work your business consistently, and make an attempt to meet new people, that's my advice! Good luck with your business!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Registered WAHM

I've seen it work both ways. In my business, we refer it as "warm" (i.e. family and friends) vs "cold" leads. Some people have to start on the cold leads a lot faster than others. For me personally, I had a little success with warm leads but not much. The hardest part is convincing friends that I truly want to be friends and not want to sell them something.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Registered WAHM

Completely Understand where your coming from the same thing happened to me I too am in a city where there is non of my family only my in-laws. I've learned as a small business owner starting out to ONLY reply upon myself to get business name out there. I'm now looking into events online and surrounding area and using friends that have business as well to network with..

I wish you much luck and success with your business, JUST know it will get better for you not worse, and look at it this way YOU had a vision that's why you started your business...it begins with the vision...
Old 08-12-2013, 06:15 AM
Super WAHM

I have had great success by doing mystery hostess parties and giveaways through FB - people even your family & friend will be more likely to share help if there is something in it for them...
Old 08-14-2013, 09:06 AM
WAHM Addict

When I was in direct sales(still looking at various options)Your family and friends will only get you so far.While its nice if they support you in your business,you will need to expand beyond that.When I sold candles,I had much better sales with my cold market.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Grand WAHM

I'm so sorry that you feel bad about not getting the support you needed from family. I can understand! Don't get down on that, many people do business online and do very well. Take care and good luck to you.