Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:34 PM
WAHM Master

Do not worry about your Mother. She probably thinks she is "helping" by being discouraging. There might be other motivations. I don't know. I always tell people "Just because someone has an opinion, it doesn't make it the truth."

Now, what you need to do is to quit worry about online stuff. You are absolutely right about Facebook. Now you will hear some do quite well with it. I have never, in my years with this business, since Facebook has been around, known anyone who has completely been able to sustain and grow a business completely online. You can use FB and other online resources to Continue a relationship but they are pretty hard to Start a relationship.

If you really look at Direct Sales, the key to our success as an industry is built on relationships. That is the difference between us and normal brick and mortar businesses and many other types of online business. The money that many of these businesses put into advertising is given to US as consultants. We are their advertising. We build relationships to sell their products. So the key is to take your inner circle to get into their inner circle.

You also need to think about a Target market. I would do another Debut (dont invite your Mother) and do an actual party presentation. I do not do Open Houses-despise them. Hate going to them to because nobody tells me about their products. You have to do all of the asking. The benefit to a presentation is that I am taught about the product. How can it benefit me. What will I enjoy. Some people like to do them and seem to have success but the majority of people who do them do not do well with them in my experience. Parties are where it is at. Brenda hit the nail on the head when she said that they are very Noncommittal type of events. Because they are "Come by when you can" if the slightest thing comes up, they don't come at all. So do another one, do a presentation, target about 30 people. Personally call each one. Tell them to bring a friend and they will get a free gift from you or that they will get extra tickets for a fun drawing, etc.

If that doesn't work, it is time to start looking for some booth events where you can get new leads. Set up and people who are interested in your booth can come over to it. Do a prize drawing for a gift certificate to get leads. Offer a great gift if they host a show. It is all about getting leads, not about sales. You are exposing and promoting your business at this booth.

Talk with your upline and find out what she has done.
Hope this helps!
Leanne
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2013, 05:06 AM
WAHM Regular

Yes, just find ways to get out of your warm market and find other people to share with. One day when you are having great success all those negatoids will come running. They may not be supportive but they are watching. My own husband is the least supportive and his own sister told me that if I believe in what I do just go out and prove him wrong! These are just a few things that motivate me to get out there. Good luck and don't give up!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:05 PM
WAHM Regular

You know what the saddest part is... I am not asking my friends or family to buy or host at all. All I am asking them to do is SHARE a facebook page. I don't think that's too much to ask. They have no problem sharing pages about naked girls/guys or cute animals, or stupid stuff people say/do, but when it comes to something legitimate they completely ignore me. *sigh*

I guess I don't understand why it's so hard... Then I have my mother, who finally shared my page but said "This is just going to be another Avon failure". This is what I mean by lack of support. All anyone wants to do is shoot you down :/

So frustrated and fed up.

I've got "friends" who have been hmming and hawing over hosting for the last 2 months.... but then a week later offer to host a pampered chef party... WTH?!

I feel like I'm back in high school. I'm just not part of the "IT" crowd. Really hoping the event I go to next month will help in boosting my business as well as the door hangings I'll be doing in my complex tomorrow...
Old 08-22-2013, 10:06 PM
WAHM Regular

And honestly I'm not meaning to whine, I just need to vent because really, as much as I want to, I'm not going to go on facebook and confront any of them lol.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:11 PM
WAHM Regular

Leanne, and ladies, you know what... you are right... screw it. I'm done begging for them to notice that I'm here for them. I have 1 party so far set up as a co-hosting with a thirty-one consultant... IF it happens, great, if it gets cancelled, I'll do my own party and this time I will be more assertive instead of laxidaisy about the event like the open-house. I had a drawing with the open house but the laid back part probably is what ruined it... I think it's time to branch out... new church, new groups, new friends. Thank you for your guidance!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:37 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyvya View Post
Leanne, and ladies, you know what... you are right... screw it. I'm done begging for them to notice that I'm here for them. I have 1 party so far set up as a co-hosting with a thirty-one consultant... IF it happens, great, if it gets cancelled, I'll do my own party and this time I will be more assertive instead of laxidaisy about the event like the open-house. I had a drawing with the open house but the laid back part probably is what ruined it... I think it's time to branch out... new church, new groups, new friends. Thank you for your guidance!
Good for you! That's the way to go! Wishing you much success!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:55 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyvya View Post
And honestly I'm not meaning to whine, I just need to vent because really, as much as I want to, I'm not going to go on facebook and confront any of them lol.
The only thing you can do is use there negativity as a fuel for motivation to prove them wrong.Just keep going.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Registered WAHM

Smile Looking Into Things

I am interested in starting my own home based business and this discussion about where to get sales has got me thinking. I am still checking into various businesses but wanted to ask specifically about marketing strategies. Have you found fan pages to be successful? Does FB allow advertising on your personal page? Branching out from friends/family will require exposure to other circles of people. How did you first break the friends/family circle? Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:50 AM
WAHM Regular

Some people create groups, and that is something I will consider once I have a customer base, because I don't feel like paying for the newsletter my company provides for $6/mo.

Yes FB allows advertising on your personal page

Breaking out from friends/family on FB is difficult... unfortunately advertising on FB starts with those you are already friended with on there. Just asking people to like or share your page doesn't guarantee anything *and will show some peoples true colors I've found*

I find using different marketing groups and "Promote my business" or work at home groups is helpful because people will often like each other's pages in exchange. That does help for exposure.

An update though: My likes have improved, like I said only because of the "giveaway" I am doing *I have found that since adding tabs, like "giveaway" to my FB page, I have gained lots of exposure. My friends/family were willing to like my page only after they found out there was something in it for them... But I have encouraged people to share the link for giveaways and have increased my likes from 29 to 72 in a matter of a week. I know that's not a lot, but it helps a little bit knowing that if I have a good deal, people will see it. I went to the library and cheked out "the sales bible" and "20 days to social media success". I have set up a wordpress blog, twitter, linkedin, connected my wordpress thru bing and google and am trying to blog more and use keywords... I am going to work more on trying to get those keywords and end up in the search results... Not so much for sales, but for team building Sales wise I'm just going out and trying to get face to face time with people
Old 09-10-2013, 06:07 PM
WAHM Regular

Keep your hopes up and erase those negative vibes, it will affect how you handle your business.
Just move forward and don't expect anything from anyone. It will make you feel better.