Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:35 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Direct sales reps not disclosing the real company until...

After a recruit signs up, spends money on the kit and then the recruit finds out the true crapiness of the company. Horrible back office issues, late by days on paychecks.
I was just sucked in, again, and am truly getting discouraged with finding my "home"! I was successful with Tupperware and Scentsy, but that was years ago. Whats happening to party plan businesses these days with their flimsy recruiting tactics?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2013, 08:24 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I don't want anyone to have a bad experience in direct sales because direct sales and party plan businesses offer wonderful opportunities for so many.

I wonder if these unfortunate and hopefully somewhat isolated incidents say more about individuals' recruiting practices and not the companies as a whole????

I guess I wanted to reach out and respond and somehow assure you it's not all like that. There are some fantastic people working in direct sales and some great companies, and I am just sorry you had some bad experiences.

Melissa
Old 07-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Awesome WAHM

If you haven't already, try talking with the person who recruited you. Sometimes it's a simple misunderstanding. Did you do a training with them when you started?

I often find that if I have a new team member and they don't do that initial time with me, they have more challenges getting going. Those who make the time to do that, don't seem to have the same experience and are much more successful. That's not saying that my training is awesome (although it is! ). It's just that a good solid foundation with any new company is helpful.

I hope you can work it out if that's what you want. If not, then I hope you find the right home for you.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:55 PM
WAHM Addict

There's a difference between someone who recruits you and the business functions. When joining a MLM company the recrutier isn't so much a big thing because there's a good chance they are going to quit so it's really up to us as individuals to make the business work for us.

Now when it comes to the company especially if your looking long term. You want to get paid when the pay is supposed to come and the products or service has to perform as promised. If it's not happening then it's basically a business decision. Who moved my cheese?

Just don't go for hype.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:49 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
There's a difference between someone who recruits you and the business functions.
Your right, and in this situation, the recruiter was awesome, knowledgeable and friendly. Bombarded me with links and training. But I do feel she should have given me a heads up at least on the back office issues that seem to be ongoing and frustrating MANY already reps, and the pay seeming to be a mess as well.

I spent so much $ on the kit, but now I just need to regroup and figure out my next month, whether its with this company or another.

PS I am obsessive with quesions out the yin yang, so this company answered all the questions with flying colors, but being in the trenches of the back office, not so much.

Also the bad mouthing of another established company, as well as a new one coming up in the same industry was another turn off for me....
Old 07-12-2013, 06:15 AM
WAHM Veteran

I can't speak for how other DS companies work but I know with ours we are REQUIRED to ensure the new consultant has reviewed our policies and procedures PRIOR to enrolling. If I were to look at joining another company (I'm not :-) ... but IF ... I would not join anything that didn't offer full disclosure prior to enrollment. I get that the company needs to protect proprietary information from 'outsiders' but the core foundation of what the independent consultants can expect should be disclosed.

That said, I feel your pain. I'm sorry it was a soured experience for you. My daughter recently had a similar one. Everything sounded fabulous, much research was done prior and then once inside it was a totally different story. She cut her losses early and chalked it off to 'experience'.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:25 AM
WAHM Fanatic

That's really disappointing, and I'm sorry it happened to you.

Google searches and checking here on WAHM are good ways to know if there are back office issues or other problems.

If things are far below your expectations, you could consult with the company about sending back the kit for a refund. Some companies will allow that, although it doesn't sound promising.

Also, while some people tout new companies as offering "ground floor opportunities," keep in mind that companies that have been around a long time generally have the experience and intrastructure to handle large volumes of representatives and customer orders. Therefore, these are also the same companies that generally will give you a better experience as a rep, and run things more professionally. The examples you gave of the companies you were with before - Tupperware and Scentsy - are these types of companies. And if a company that has been around a long time DOESN'T do these things well, chances are you will be able to find out about it through a search on this site or sites like Ripoff Report.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Super WAHM

I am sorry, that is really disappointing to hear. There definitely are still great companies out there and honest sponsors! I hope it works out for you with the company you signed with, but if it doesn't maybe it's for the better that you found out now before you invested more time and money in to it. I wish you the best of luck finding your home!
Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Super WAHM

There are certainly great companies, and I am so sorry that you had to experience this. I have also had the misfortune of "finding out" something very ugly about my last DS company, and it involved an issue that I simply could not deal with. I had a WONDERFUL mentor, was building a great team, and was making money! After putting a year of VERY hard work into it, I felt betrayed and hurt. The issue that I left the company over can be found by doing a Google search, but you would have to know what to look for. Unfortunately, I was completely unaware when I signed up, and am pretty sure that most people are as they join (and mentors, too). So,maybe it's not always the person who is signing you up. Stuff happens beyond their control or knowledge. I guess I just shared my story with you to commiserate. lol. But now, I am slowly but steadily building my new business...again.

People say that everything happens for a reason. In the past year of working my butt off, I learned a lot, made a ton of contacts, and am more confident in myself. I hope that you can at least take that with you. Good luck in finding a new company!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:32 PM
WAHM Regular

I hope you don't take it as me being insensitive, but I had to lol at your post because I sat down with a woman interested in a company that I had issues with. told her the issues I was experiencing and what I understood to be company wide, told her I want sure if I woykd even continue with that company, and she still signed up!

the managing consultants adviced me to not share such info and feelings. and that probably bothered me more than anything. I couldn't, in good conscience,keep my mouth shut.

what follow was alot if work put in helping that person with no gain and her competing top new about the very same issues I discussed openly with her.!!

It can be hard to be candid,without bashing someone's. I tried my best not to bash as I think it's really unprofessional. it really bothers me . I have seen a lot of both intra and inter company bashing