Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 PM
WAHM Regular

Arrow First company convention- to go or not to go?

My company is having their very first convention already in mid August. Right now if I sign up and be one of the first 100 to put a deposit down to go I would get the entire new fall product line...
Convention is $499- includes stay at resort, food, makeup, classes, etc...
but a plane ticket will also cost around that, and I don't know anyone close to ride with yet.
Wondering thoughts on if I should make it a priority to go- $1000 could pay for so many other things- or wait for next year and save up my money year round?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2013, 10:26 PM
WAHM Regular

The question to ask yourself is if you are earning enough that you could pay for it from only your business earnings. Conventions/conferences are really life changing and a blast. They can be pricey though when you consider plane tickets, food, hotel and so on. I went this year but my check paid for all of it. It came out to about $2,000 but I did extra stuff while there. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gone although I do kick myself for the years I didn't. It was the best option for the financial situation I had been in. When you are on a strict budget, I feel that putting that money towards debt or paying more on bills is a better option.

It's all tax deductible
Old 06-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Awesome WAHM

If you can make it happen, do it! It's an amazing experience and because its the company's first, its an experience that will never be duplicated.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:40 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnickless View Post
The question to ask yourself is if you are earning enough that you could pay for it from only your business earnings. Conventions/conferences are really life changing and a blast. They can be pricey though when you consider plane tickets, food, hotel and so on. I went this year but my check paid for all of it. It came out to about $2,000 but I did extra stuff while there. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gone although I do kick myself for the years I didn't. It was the best option for the financial situation I had been in. When you are on a strict budget, I feel that putting that money towards debt or paying more on bills is a better option.

It's all tax deductible
I didn't realize it could be tax deductible! I am fairly certain that if I could cut my cost and ride with someone I could pay for it by what I earn. I know that a first time will never happen again! I truly want to go!!
Old 06-12-2013, 04:36 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshmiller View Post
I didn't realize it could be tax deductible! I am fairly certain that if I could cut my cost and ride with someone I could pay for it by what I earn. I know that a first time will never happen again! I truly want to go!!
Go for it then! I know a lot of people cut costs wherever they can. Our hotel isn't included but I'm planning on renting like 4 hotel rooms for newer team members to share to get some of them to go to ours. They are completely worth it!
Old 06-16-2013, 12:23 PM
WAHM Regular

For me going to convention depends on what I want to get out of the business. If you are looking for hobby money, then maybe $1000 isn't the best investment. If you are looking to promote and earn career level income, then I would definitely go.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Go - only if you don't have to go in debt.

I would only go if I didn't have to borrow my personal money or if I had enough to pay from my business money. Conventions are awesome, but there will be one every year!!

Bekki
Mialisia Founding Designer
Old 06-17-2013, 05:39 AM
Super WAHM

If you can afford it, go! I did not save enough money for me to attend my conference this year. You can bet your bottom dollar I am saving more this year this to attend next year. I run an all cash business, meaning I refuse to go into debt for it, tax deductible or not.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:09 PM
WAHM Master

Yes, Conventions/Conferences cost money. Most of the time I spend around $1000 because I always seem to have to fly. But Thirty One offered an incentive this year (they do every year but they changed it up a this time and added to it.) where we could earn our Registration fee for free plus cash gift cards to help pay for our hotel. In addition, at the lowest level, you also earned a free kit of new Fall catalog items. There were 3 different levels. Some of it will be surprises. So that adds an element of excitement. Still, with hotel and plane ticket, I have budgeted about $600.

Here is my experience that I share with my team.

The first Conference I went to with 31, I didn't know a soul except my upline so I had to room by myself and fly to it. it cost me about $1200 total. That was at like right at the end of July and our new catalog started in August. I already had parties on the books for the next week. We were in a huge growth wave at that time and our shipping was behind. Many consultants did not receive their catalogs until about 2 weeks into the NEW catalog so they had to reschedule their early August parties. Because I walked off the plane with catalogs and new Fall product in hand, I was able to do my parties that I had scheduled and I earned over $350 just that week and was able to do my parties for the next week. So yes, I spent $1200 but it was pretty much all deductible on my taxes against any income that I made that year AND I earned over half of it back within 2 weeks simply because I went to Conference and had the supplies I needed.

We have our shipping down to a T now so no worries about that anymore but I tell my team that only they can decide whether they can go. But it is PROVEN that consultants that attend Conference earn 40% more than those that don't. I truly believe that Conference can be a game changer for many consultants. To me, since it is ALL tax deductible except for half of your food costs, really what do you have to lose. You will have to shell it out up front and I understand that is not always possible for some to go. I get that completely. But if at all possible, attend if you can.

If you are brand new and just can't go this time, just make sure to start saving and putting away for next year.

Leanne
Old 06-19-2013, 03:51 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne McGarr View Post
Yes, Conventions/Conferences cost money. Most of the time I spend around $1000 because I always seem to have to fly. But Thirty One offered an incentive this year (they do every year but they changed it up a this time and added to it.) where we could earn our Registration fee for free plus cash gift cards to help pay for our hotel. In addition, at the lowest level, you also earned a free kit of new Fall catalog items. There were 3 different levels. Some of it will be surprises. So that adds an element of excitement. Still, with hotel and plane ticket, I have budgeted about $600.

Here is my experience that I share with my team.

The first Conference I went to with 31, I didn't know a soul except my upline so I had to room by myself and fly to it. it cost me about $1200 total. That was at like right at the end of July and our new catalog started in August. I already had parties on the books for the next week. We were in a huge growth wave at that time and our shipping was behind. Many consultants did not receive their catalogs until about 2 weeks into the NEW catalog so they had to reschedule their early August parties. Because I walked off the plane with catalogs and new Fall product in hand, I was able to do my parties that I had scheduled and I earned over $350 just that week and was able to do my parties for the next week. So yes, I spent $1200 but it was pretty much all deductible on my taxes against any income that I made that year AND I earned over half of it back within 2 weeks simply because I went to Conference and had the supplies I needed.

We have our shipping down to a T now so no worries about that anymore but I tell my team that only they can decide whether they can go. But it is PROVEN that consultants that attend Conference earn 40% more than those that don't. I truly believe that Conference can be a game changer for many consultants. To me, since it is ALL tax deductible except for half of your food costs, really what do you have to lose. You will have to shell it out up front and I understand that is not always possible for some to go. I get that completely. But if at all possible, attend if you can.

If you are brand new and just can't go this time, just make sure to start saving and putting away for next year.

Leanne
Thank you for your insight! I really appreciate it! I am definitely going to try very hard to be able to go!

Tags
convention, cost, desicions