Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:01 AM
Registered WAHM

Default Decisions on becoming a DS

Hello ladies any advice and insights will be appreciated !
I have never been a DS before and am really considering selling Miche bags. There is only one rep as far as I can tell in my area, I think that there will be return sales since you have the option to buy new shells for your base purse. I think they will sell well here is my issue,
I am a stay at home mom so I have no co-workers, I just moved to a new town and I have no family, or friends in my area. With that being said is it a good idea to get into direct selling without having those initial contacts to blossom from ? Has anyone ever started out this way? Any suggestions on getting your name out there and getting people to do parties with you ?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 06:12 AM
WAHM Veteran

You absolutely can start that way. I did. I've never relied on my family or friends to buy, host or join. I still don't. There are pros and cons to it. The pro is that since you're not starting with your warmer market (family and friends) you're getting out of your comfort zone right away and can build it big. Some consultants who start with their warm market, never get around to branching out and try to rely on their family and friends to support them long term and it just doesn't work.

The downside is that it can be harder to get going initially, but as long as you have realistic expectations and can approach strangers and really market yourself, you'll do well. You'll start with a solid foundation because of the confidence you'll build - something those who started with their warm market may not necessarily have or may take longer to achieve.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:29 AM
Registered WAHM

Thanks very good advice ! I have spoken with a rep for Miche who lives out of state and she had suggested what she called a basket party. She said she has someone (usually the receptionist ) at her dr office, dentist, hair salon etc. pass the product around and they become the "hostess" for the party. She says she has had luck gaining customers in that way. Have you or anyone tried something like that ?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:37 AM
Super WAHM

I do basket parties with Paparazzi all the time. It's a great way to get your name out there that you might have never come in touch with. Good luck!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:42 AM
Awesome WAHM

You can absolutely get started that way. I agree with the previous posters. I started with my company in January, didn't know a lot of people and family really doesn't have money to spend. By the end of this month, I will have my second promotion. It's really about working your business and getting your name out there. Also don't discount the power of social media and use it to your advantage.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:45 AM
WAHM Regular

When I started with Scentsy I only knew about 2 people in my new city. Overtime I met more. I was able to start off with sales to friends and family who didn't live near me as well as online contacts. I say you can do it without knowing too many people but things like Open houses might be hard at first.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:28 AM
Registered WAHM

Thanks ladies ! I was worried about not being able to have a launch party or open house but I have to start somewhere so maybe if I can just build a few contacts I can go from there. I really love the product I think its a great idea and I love purses so we shall see !
Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 AM
Awesome WAHM

When I started direct sales in 2000, I was also a military wife living overseas.I started with Creative Memories putting pictures into albums. I loved it!

Fast forward, to 2003, when I joined a company I was with until 2011 when they closed (I was a top director).
In 2011, I opened my own company, More Polish Pottery, LLC which has been a profitable business in its very first full fiscal year.

Direct Sales has been a HUGE part of where I am today. The skills,frienships and confidence that has been built is something I will cherish forever. We have been expanding leaps and bounds and even now have sales reps in other states with our family owned company - some of because of what I learned in direct sales.

Success starts from one simple action: Do SOMETHING.
Open your mouth, share your passion, be excited, be willing to step out of your comfort.

If you can match a need of a client with something you can offer - Success is made!

Have fun! Enjoy the ride and don't forget to celebrate the little things along the way.

It sounds like you already love a product so just share away.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 AM
Registered WAHM

Thanks so much and congrats on your new business ! I wish you much success !
Old 03-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Banned

You can also branch out in your area doing fairs and vendor shows. Great way to make new contacts. Have some sort of drawing where they fill out information cards for you. Followup is the key to these shows. Best wishes

Alison

Tags
direct selling, miche bags