Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Dreaming of Direct Sales, but....

Here's the dilema....I think I really want to build a business with a Direct Sales company but I honestly don't think I'm cut out for it. I have tried several Party Plan companies in the past and because the timing wasn't right, or the company went out of business, or I didn't have the right support, I didn't succeed in any of them. It was also my fault, I didn't put as much effort into it as I should have to be successful.

I'm now facing a situation where I really need to make money from home before June otherwise I'll have to go back to working 5 nights a week (I'm a waitress) and not being able to be with my family much. I REALLY want to be successful working from home somehow!

My problem is, I don't want to approach friends and family for parties or even sales. I feel like I've done that so many times with my past ventures that I'm honestly a bit embarrassed to let everyone know I'm trying yet ANOTHER business. I'd be happy doing something mostly online or even in surrounding towns....just not promoting to friends and family.

Do you think I should just give up on this idea to make a living with Direct Sales? Do you think that maybe I just can't be successful with this mentality? I'd love to hear opinions. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Awesome WAHM

Becky I think it's about finding the thing you love and doing that. I just sent you a PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Super WAHM

I find with Direct Sales you really need to hit the ground running, and keep that momentum. You DEFINITELY need to expand your customer base beyond friends and family to be successful. Get on social media sites, advertise in your local community. It takes time to make enough of an income as you would at a full time job, but it's definitely possible if you're dedicated!

You really need to find a product you truly believe in, and a financially stable company. Also, look for a direct sales company that isn't saturating the area you live in (find something unique). Best of luck!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Awesome WAHM

You need more than finding products you love because I'm sure you had fallen in love with those products when you signed up for those previous party plan companies. Most people don't sign up unless they do love the products.

Relying on your friends and family is a good start but you need to find new leads asap especially in a party plan that relies mainly home parties because it's the most fruitful. There are other ways to supplement such as vendor boutiques but you'll need to be the first person to sign up because those venues typically accept one rep per company.

In my area where jewelry in particular is flooded it's a lot harder for some pals of mine to get in at these vendor boutiques. Jennifer Fong just wrote an important article on the Direct Selling News on the future of direct sales/party plan and why it has moved to online.

Direct sales is a sales job so whichever company you choose to go with I think it's important to go in with this mindset that you will need to put in your personal efforts to attract leads for sales and sponsoring.

I hope this helps .
Old 02-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Banned

The ladies above had very good points about direct sales. I love direct sales and have started out with family and friends and expanded my customer base from there. I also do social media and I network with other wahms online. I do grab groups where you make X amount of purchase each month from another direct sales consultant, and they inturn buy from you.

I don't do many home parties myself, but I do Binder Parties (scent samples in binders), catalog parties, fundraising, and vendor fairs/craft shows to get the word out about my products and home business.

Find something you are truly passionate about, interview your sponsor, talk to a couple of people in the business you are looking at and see who you 'click' with. Let them know up front too... most will understand. Finding the right sponsor and support is critical in your early stages.

Best wishes to you honey

Alison
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Super WAHM

I agree with the you need to love company you choose, your sponsor and you need to work hard.

I treat my business like a business, not a hobby. I have business hours where my customers and team can call me. They know they email or text at anytime, but I may be hit or miss doing parties, vendor shows, or spending time with family. A big portion of my business comes from people I do not know. It's been only recently my friends and family have been asking about my "nail business" because they see how successful I have been.

I wish you luck finding the best company that will meet your needs.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:55 PM
WAHM Regular

Even with great effort and a great product, direct sales can be an emotional roller coaster. Besides a supportive upline, having a really great friend as a partner is one of the best support systems. My childhood friend of 41 years is my best partner. We used to talk a few times a year because we live in different states. Now that we are with the same company we talk 10x a day sharing all our ideas and progress. This keeps us in "fired up" mode and has helped us build tremendous momentum for our teams!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Awesome WAHM

Talking Success with any Business

Hi Becky0404!
You've tried some things and they did not fly well, that's OK. They were all a learning experience for you. You've picked up on the fact that you need a product that offers a broad appeal, and that you want to explore more than just in-home parties. You want good income, and are willing to put forth effort to make that work.
What you need is a good mentor to help you think outside the party in the house box. Someone that will help you get organized and help you figure out how to share.

I'd like to add that I think in Today's world, the home party is only one part of a successful business! We've been discussing the change in marketing strategies and avenues to share our line of products.

First, I always say, find a product you love, use and can share and talk about in normal casual conversation. One that offers repeat business, those re-orders help build income over time.

I train my Tastefully Simple team to use online avenues. There are lots of social sites for interaction, Twitter, Groups, etc. FB parties are big and can be very successful when coached and done well. Book parties and Work Snack parties are some of my teams most successful revenue builders. People are busy and often times finding an evening to gather friends just does not work. So we FOODIES share munchies in the office, at family gatherings and leave tasty items as we do our normal errands and are out and about. Evveryone eats so that is an easy thing to do.
Much of the remote party sharing is done without us being there. Works well for those wanting to build a business without committing to time away from home in large amounts.

Skype parties are another avenue. It is about connecting, sharing, and great host coaching and client service.

If you might entertain this as a potential, I'd love to share more with you or anyone.

Best wishes !!!

Last edited by LynnAndreske; 02-24-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Super WAHM

I agree with previous posters that you have to find something you are passionate about. In life many of us fail (sometimes several times) before we succeed. It sounds like you've learned some lessons from trials in the past.

As for you not wanting to tap into your family and friends, I understand that, but it will probably make it harder. Seek out vendor events, find a company that allows you to do fundraiser parties, and maybe ask some friends who haven't helped you in the past. I really believe if you put your mind to it and are determined to succeed, you could do it. It may not be immediate success, but you can do it! Keep us updated on what you decide!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Awesome WAHM

Default I think you have what it takes

I think the fact that you are asking for input is in itself, an indication that you have what it takes to succeed! Maybe you just haven't found the right vehicle yet.

Don't give up! Do your due diligence and find something that can be worked both online and offline. Something that is duplicatable. Look for a Leader who can work with you closely to reach your specific goals through YOUR desired method of outreach. Remember your WHY!

Direct Sales is a great vehicle to achieve your dreams! To your success in whatever you choose!