Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:44 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Default So how Do you find out if a company is doing well or not?

I've had some bad experiences these past few weeks with direct selling. How in the world do you find out before you sign up if a company is solvant and planning on continuing in business?

It seems like the consultants are the last to know anything and they are the ones providing the information and recruiting. Consultants and leaders from 3 home decor companies have been blind sided by closures in the past month and they had no idea it was coming.

Is there anyway to really know?

I feel like I am jinxed!

Last edited by *In*2*Win*; 10-14-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Removed fully capitalized word
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 05:17 PM
WAHM Master

honestly, I don't know. you could say talk with the consultants but really, like you say, sometimes they are the last to know!

I guess maybe look at the number of consultants. Is it growing? How fast? Are they needing more space?, Are they expanding??

I am just a layman. I really don't know the ins and outs. I know that to make a Direct Sales company launch and stay in business, it takes a delicate balance, good management, and enough cash flow to throw money at problems until things can be sorted out. Having been in Direct Sales for 10 years, I have seen SO many startups fail. The buzz is all about "being at the ground floor". I think I would rather be at level 3. Which is not ground floor but a couple floors up. Enough to get around growing pains of ground floor!

I really think that most any company that is established (honestly except Mary Kay. God please don't let any more of my friends or aquaintances join Mary Kay. Seriously though. Even them!) you can do well with IF you have the will to learn, the tenacity to stick it out, and don't quit.

Dr. Tom Barretts rules always stick with me. Consistent Persistent Effort and give it enough time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabimom View Post
I've had some bad experiences these past few weeks with direct selling. How in the world do you find out before you sign up if a company is solvant and planning on continuing in business?

It seems like the consultants are the last to know anything and they are the ones providing the information and recruiting. Consultants and leaders from 3 home decor companies have been blind sided by closures in the past month and they had no idea it was coming.

I feel like I am jinxed!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Awesome WAHM

Hello,

Do as much research as possible and find out who runs the company.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabimom View Post

I feel like I am jinxed!
In some cases yes.

Contact the company and ask questions about growth and earnings etc...

If it is a publicly traded company all earnings are out in the open for everyone to see. Growth or decline leaves clues...

If it is a private company that information is harder to find and a private company can hide things and skew the truth. Is the company trustworthy, do they have integrity and a excellent track record and good reputation? If so they will give you the real stats and be honest with you.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:32 PM
WAHM Master

Call corporate and ask to see numbers. You are looking at debt/assets/ and money in the bank.

So glad Usborne has lots of money, cash, plus assets all above the line.

Hugs!

Debbie
Old 10-11-2012, 08:18 PM
WAHM Regular

THREE home decor companies?? I heard of 2 not 3. AHA and Willow House. What is the 3rd?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:11 PM
WAHM Regular

What is the 3rd Home Decor company to go under? I thought you had switched to Biltmore Inspirations Cabimom? Is Biltmore Inspirations going under now? I ask because I was thinking about joining them.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:00 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiomom View Post
THREE home decor companies?? I heard of 2 not 3. AHA and Willow House. What is the 3rd?

Yes, Biltmore Inspirations, the company I joined on Monday! I just received the email this morning. I was shocked, as was everyone else. I got a refund and a stop shipment on my kit, thank goodness.

Last edited by cabimom; 10-11-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:50 AM
Awesome WAHM

As a couple people already pointed out, talk to somebody at corporate, not a consultant, about financial information. Most direct sales companies are privately owned and have no obligation to share any financial information. However, how your questions are handled often offers as much information as the answers themselves.

Publicly traded companies are required to make their finances public, but you have to learn a little about how to interpret the numbers.

And as someone else also said, find out what you can about the owners and managers of the company and their past experiences.

The bottom line is that business is risky. Of course you're hesitant now. But do what you can to make an informed decision - use common sense, ask lots of questions, and be confident that you'll make best decision with the information you have. That's all any of us can do.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:21 AM
Awesome WAHM

Kind of a hard question....with new companies popping up a person loves getting in "sooner" as apposed to "later"....but yeah then you risk the business not taking off. I know their are ups and downs in every business, but now is a great time for home based...hope you find one that works for you. Don't give up...theres one out there for you!!