Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:27 PM
WAHM Regular

Default More than 1 business?

I know this has been discussed before but thought I'd throw it out here again.

I am currently an inactive consultant with Heritage Makers due to health issues with a son. Once we have that under control, I plan to get it going again (probably after the beginning of the year).

Meanwhile, I have been considering adding a candle business to compliment my HM business. I LOVE candles and am always burning them so will most certainly be burning them during my HM workshops.

My question is do you think it would be too hard to run 2 businesses simultaniously?

Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 PM
WAHM Regular

I think running more than one business is perfectly acceptable. Sometimes you become very excited about more than one product line. I have been a rep for two companies for the last 6 months and it's working out great. My situation personally works because one company is a party plan and one I can promote, recruit, and find customers online. Just make sure the companies are not in direct competition with each other.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:50 PM
WAHM Regular

No, they wouldn't be conflicting. Heritage Makers is a digital scrapbooking/storybooking company and the other would be a candle company.

Chris
Old 11-15-2011, 08:52 PM
WAHM Regular

Perfect then! Just make sure to divide your time between the two to make things most profitable for yourself.

I just started scrapbooking, lol...I love it!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:50 PM
WAHM Regular

I know several successful consultants who rep for more than one company.

Good luck!

Carolyn
Old 11-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Registered WAHM

That is what I'm in the process of doing myself. I am selling for a beauty company & going to do one of the candle / melt companies. I've narrowed it down to two, but just can't decide which one to go with.

Good luck with your two businesses!
Old 11-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Registered WAHM

Ya'll should sign up for a 2nd one! SCENTSY!!! I signed up and i'm completely addictive and we'll NEVER have a candle w/ flame in my house again!
If you have questions, PM me !
Old 11-16-2011, 03:59 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I think that it can be difficult to recruit if you rep for two companies - you need to focus recruiting efforts on one or the other. For parties, I think it's great to have two businesses - if you find a lead that isn't interested in one, perhaps they would find the other appealing!

Either way, you need to make sure you understand which is your "main" business and which is your "side" business and divide your time accordingly.

Silpada is my "main" business, and Melaleuca is my "side" business. I'm happy to be a Mela customer and if I come across an opportunity to introduce someone to the business opportunity who likes the products, I do so. However, if I find someone looking for a business opportunity and has no idea where to start, I focus first on Silpada, and would only suggest Mela after confirming the person has no interest in Silpada's opportunity, or determining that the business is not a good fit for them.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Registered WAHM

Thank you very much for your outlook Liz, that is a great idea! I'm a "helper" for a consultant for the beauty company, so when I make my decision on which candle / melt biz I want to join, I'll put all of my recruiting efforts into that one! I didn't think of it that way. Thanks again!!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:21 AM
WAHM Regular

Location: Texas - I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could.

Hello I think, for me, having 2 business is really alright. But it will depend on how stable the first one is. Coz you know, if you will be starting 2 new businesses, then that's a different story. In your case, I feel, that the HM Business is pretty stable now.. So given that situation, I think you can handle the candle business no problem (with proper research and everything, of course). Plus, as you have said, you LOVE candles. You'll be alright. I say, go for it!