Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:08 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Question for Sales Reps

Has anyone ever heard of companies not taking reps from Alabama because of technicalities with sales tax?
Thanks

Last edited by carolsumrell; 11-09-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2011, 08:30 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I have not... very interesting. I wonder what is different about the Alabama tax code that would make them think it was more difficult?

So you said they won't take reps from Alabama- Does that mean that they don't sell in Alabama at all then?

Amanda
Old 11-01-2011, 07:43 AM
WAHM Regular

My Scentsy team would be happy to have reps from Alabama . That seems kinda odd that a company would turn down a whole state due to it being "too difficult to make it happen". Scentsy has even done the leg work to allow consultants to sell in several other countries around the world and I'm sure that was more difficult than setting something up for a US state. I'm glad you got a "red flag" that doesn't seem like a very good/supportive company.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:48 AM
WAHM Regular

What were you selling if you don't mind me asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolsumrell View Post
Well, I deleted my signature. I'm obligated to send in 1 show...(kit commitment) . And then, just move on...
I just don't understand. Other small companies are not singling out states. I wonder how the woman felt that was inquiring....
Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Awesome WAHM

I never heard that...that's kinda weird. What company was it? Why are the tax codes so difficult in AL??
Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I think Alabama has a lot of local tax jurisdictions in addition to a broad state tax. Perhaps they were having trouble remitting to all of them. The logical thing for a small company to do in that case is to hold representatives responsible for collecting and remitting sales tax to the appropriate taxing authorities. I'm not sure why they couldn't handle it that way.

I think that's a shame that Inspiranza took that approach with your question, because I do think the company has a great mission and is a nice addition to the home party jewelry business.

I hope your experience is not turning you off of the party plan business altogether. Many of us represent companies that are extremely well-run and have been in business for a long time. (15 years in 2012 for Silpada!) I'm sure you will find another one that is a good fit for you.