Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 AM
WAHM Regular

Red face Lost my Full-time Job Yesterday

Hi,

I am a nurse and lost my full-time job yesterday due to staff reduction. I love doing direct sales and have been with several different companies through the years but mainly just for fun but didn't do well here in this town. I would REALLY like to do something where I can work from home and not have to go back to a full-time job. But I have to do something where I can make the same type of income or I won't make it financially each month. My problem is, there are so many different types of companies and products that I like and I am having a HARD time trying to decide what will sell the best where I live. I live in a small Oklahoma town that is, unfortunately, very cliquish and the people don't have a lot of income so I need to find something that the ladies will really get excited about. Scentsy does extremely well here but there are already a lot of consultants for this small town. I have compared so many different companies, both pros and cons, but I keep putting off choosing one due to the fear of choosing the wrong one and then ending up wishing I had gone with another one. I like jewelry (had signed up with one company but am in the process of sending the kit back as I was very disappointed in the quality and style), home decor (not sure that the higher price points will sell here), kitchen products (not as high of a commission as other types of companies), food (commission also fairly low), etc. and have looked at all the various companies. I guess I keep seeing the negatives and I am wanting the company to be perfect, which I know that is impossible. As you can tell, I have perfectionist tendencies. LOL HOW ON EARTH DO YOU DECIDE!!!! I need to choose something very quickly and work my butt off and try to get it going. As I can only survive financially maybe a month without having an income. I do NOT want to go back to nursing anymore.

PLEASE HELP ME know what to do.

Thank you,

Paula
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Super WAHM

Default Hmmmm...

Sounds like you will need to sample some products and choose a product that you are really impressed with the quality and style! Of course the compensation is important too, so make sure to get all those details ahead of time, so that you can make a well educated decision! Many of us here are willing to offer up samples and that is usually where you will gain the most enthusiasm for a particular company. When you stand behind the product quality and price, and what the company stands for, then you've found a GREAT FIT for yourself! =) Best of luck! You will know! Almost like finding a mate I know I found mine!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:55 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Hi Paula,
So sorry to hear about your job loss. Those twists in life are never welcome but it sounds like you've been doing some homework already so that's a good place to be. I think you have to ask yourself what products do you love, what kind of company mission are you wanting to promote, what can you be passionate about????
As I researching to find my current biz with SimplyFun I found lots of things I knew I didn't want to sell as they were products I didn't use in my home, had too much competition, I didn't think they were worthwhile, etc. When I found SimplyFun I fell in love with the games (they really were FUN), they had products for both children and adults/ men & women, and the whole concept that families need to take 30 minutes and re-connect while playing, laughing and making memories together more often appealed to me. I truely believe there is no one perfect company for everyone. Try to narrow down which DS categories appeal to you most, then look around at all the companies that offer them. Compare price points and the full range of products they provide. With your family budget is this something you would buy? You might consider hosting a catalog or live party for the couple companies you narrow it down too so you can get a feel for what you might be best at sharing and what appeals to those in your area. (With my last company they sold well on the coasts but not here in the midwest.) Ultimately, it will come down to what you want to go with the most. Once you do make a decision commit to training with your upline, making those phone calls to book parties and be deliberate in growing your business on a regular basis. With your determination to "work your butt off" to get it going I'm sure you'll do great with your final decision.
Best wishes with finding the right fit for you.
Amanda
Your Funster
Old 10-26-2011, 12:12 PM
WAHM Addict

Hi Paula,

Sorry to hear about your job. But, I like how you are turning this in to a great opportunity to match your income and beyond.

My advice is you need to keep looking. I know there are a lot of companies but it seems, from what you have written, nothing has spoken to you yet. One big factor in your success will be how excited you are about what you have to offer. If you really enjoy what you do it is so much easier to share with others.

Think of your business as a long term relationship and don't settle for less than what really makes you happy.

I'm sure there is something out there that would be a great fit for you!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Awesome WAHM

Paula:

So sorry to hear about your job loss.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Awesome WAHM

Might I suggest u look at adult and lingerie companies? Higher commissions and the women love the products with price points for all.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:19 PM
WAHM Addict

I am sorry about your job

What about jeans? Everyone loves jeans!!!! The average woman has 8 pairs! Living in a smaller area might be to your benefit as they are harder to find - a consultant under me in Louisana (she calls it in the sticks! haha) had her first party and sold over $1000!!!! We are the only home company doing this right now and we offer a great service to our customers since all our jeans are cheaper than retail - up to a 50% savings (unless you host then you can get them for FREE!!!)

Good Luck in your search!
Best Wishes,
Old 10-26-2011, 02:06 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Default Jewelry

So sorry about losing your job, that is going to be quite an adjustment for you. If you are still interested in a jewelry business, I would suggest looking closely at Silpada. They have changed their line quite a bit and while they still have some more expensive pieces (which are gorgeous by the way!) they have some lighter weight, less expensive pieces too. All are still ,925 sterling silver with genuine stones. SD has exceptional quality and a lifetime guarantee. 30% commission plus the ability to make bonuses and earn free jewelry and no sales quotas unless you are wanting a team building commission. It is an amazing opportunity. I made back my investment and then some with my first show and I didn't really start with tons of jewelry, only a few pieces beyond what I received in my kit,.

Good luck with your search.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:46 PM
WAHM Regular

First of all, you need to figure out what it is that you love! If you are not passionate about the product, it will be hard to sell. I would also not worry too much about what will sell best in your area. With social media and the internet, you could probably do great working your business online, especially if you have a lot of time to dedicate to it.

I am passionate about nutrition and health, that is why I am getting involved with Beyond Organic. Plus it's ground floor and launching in just 6 days. I am also very inspired by the CEO's story and vision which is a huge for me. I want to feel like I am doing something good in this world by spreading such an important message.

What are you passionate about? Sounds like you like jewelry - there are definately plenty to choose from. I personally love Cookie Lee but I'm not sure about their commission structure.

Another idea for you: "It works" slimming products seem to get a lot of response. What woman doesn't want to lose a few inches around their waist? I can get you in touch with some reps if you are interested.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:08 AM
Grand WAHM

Hi Paula,
I am so sorry about the loss of your job. I do invite you to take a look at Watkins and see what you think. You can click on my sig lines and or PM me.

I don't know if there is anything out there that will replace the income you are acustomed to right away. However, with diligence and a business plan you can over time. We have many Watkins associates that have left their JOB because their Watkins income well replaced their JOB income. But for right now, you may want to look at it as a suplemental income for the time being.

Just some words of wisdom. Good luck with your search and do keep us posted.