Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Awesome WAHM

GOOOOOOOODDDD DAYYYY EVERYONE...........

I have a question for you.
I know this isn't the place to post this.
But I thought I would anyway.

The question is:

What isyour Version of Happiness?

Have a WONDERFUL Week!!

Rose
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Super WAHM

Great question!! I went to Jockey Person to Person's conference two weeks ago and the keynote speaker, Matthew Kelly, who I thought was terrific, spoke about this.

I'll try to sum up what he said the best I can. He compared happiness vs. pleasure and said that pleasure cannot be sustained beyond the activity producing it. For example, let's say you want to be healthier and lose weight. If you are eating something really yummy,let's sayice cream, it's a pleasurable experience while you are eating, but when the ice cream is gone, so is the pleasure. And eating too much ice cream, too often canlead you tobe unhealthy andgain weight.He went on to say that life is about choices. Sometimes you have to force yourself to do certain things, but you feel good afterward.Using the same example of wanting to lose weight/get healthy, working out is something we don't always love to do, but usually when we do it, we feel good after and the good results and good feelings are lasting. That's happiness. It's sustained. The most successful people in anything sometimes have to force themselves to do things they don't necessarily like, but that bring them good results.

So, based on this and my own dreams and desires, happiness for my is achieving my goals. And it's also having balance in my life. Those of us on this board are busy women. We have businesses, families, homes, ourselves and many other things that occupy our time. I find it helpful when I am able tokeep in the forefront of my mindwhat my goals and dreams are in every aspect of my life. This helps me set priorities because I can't possibly do everything. And when I spend my time doing the activities that will get me to my goals, I know I am on the right path. And while they may not always bring me instant pleasure, they bring me satisfaction knowing that I am one step closer to achieving a dream.

Here's an example from my Jockey business. Like many other people, I do not enjoy making phone calls and I don't particularly love doing events where I have to talk to strangers all day. However, I have a goal of becoming a Sr. Team Leader with Jockey by the end of the year and I know what I need to do to get there. Part of that is doing those 2 things I don't like. But I've spent time over the past week doing those things and while they weren't particularly fun for me, I got some great results which are getting me closer to my goal. And as I was getting results I wanted, the 2 activities actually became more fun!

Anyway, I know that was long, but the speaker really got me thinking and he made a lot of sense to me.

Can't wait to hear what everyone else has to say.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:03 PM
WAHM Master

Wow, what a great question! My summary:

My version of Happiness is feeling secure in that my family (and I)is taken care of and has everything they need.

The need includes health, happiness, love, bonding time, and to never feel scared, hurt or lonely. LOL, a pretty big ticket as a mommy/wife. (By the way, this does NOT include a clean house).

I love how my biz not only provides many of these things through an income and, keeping mommy sane, but that it's giving my children a gift! Having my son bring me book, after book, after book (that I wouldn't have if I didn't sell them, well not as many), is part of that dream. And if I can provide other families with the bonding time while giving them a gift that will grow with them, I'm even happier!

Thanks for sharing this thought!
Old 08-03-2008, 04:47 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Healthy Happy Kids that Know Christ as their Saviour, Financial Security and a Healthy Happy Marriage.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Awesome WAHM

My version of Happiness is my son and my husband.