Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Super WAHM

I'm hoping to get some advice on something that has happened to me numerous times.

When I recruit new consultants that I haven't met beforein person, I find it best to initially talk on the phone and then meet in person whenever possible. While I love email because it is so convenient, I also find that it is not very personal.

With The Body Shop at Home, people can search for a consultant, fill out an online form for additional information and then have that consultant contact them. I ALWAYS call the person as soon as I receive the contact information. Sometimes, instead of calling me back, they email me with their questions, sometimes very detailed questions(when they submit the contact form, they get an automatic email replythat the company generates for usandhas myemail as the returnaddress). I try to respect that people sometimes want information without having to talk to a real person, but I also find that it's hard to communicate all the information via email. I think a phone call makes it easier to communicate, but I don't want to turn them off by not responding to their questions and insisting that we talk on the phone.

Has this ever happened to you? Do you mind giving out tons of information over email without even talking to the person on the phone? Do you get good results this way?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Super WAHM

Lisa,

I agree with you.
I typically do not emailHomemade Gourmetinformation until I talk to them. I want to find out what interests them about our company, find out their questions, and respond accordingly. I then email them information based on the questions that they had regarding the business plan.

I do send out information to prospects if email is needed - but it just basic information as I want to encourage the phone conversation to take place at some point (and not just email everything).

My time is valuable, as a leaderwith3small kids. If they are willing to at least chat (whether they sign up or not is irrevelevant) that is SO important as I see that they are at least being serious in the inquiry. I respect their decision, either way, as this is THEIR business. However, I think just emailing info doesn't do anyone justice as they will have to pick up the phone with their business and eventually talk to prospects for hosting and joining their team! They may as well want to talk to their potential sponsor

Plus, I can personalize our business plan a little bit more to what their interests are (or share with them different outlet of selling).

from my 5 years of experience, I have found that ff they don't want to spend the time at least talking 10-15 minutes, they probably aren't that serious and/or truly interested and or just information seekrs at that point. I have sponsored MANY distributors and probably at least 5-6 times that for just inquiries.

If they are doing it for personal use, I can see someone signing up without chattingon the phone. However, I typically do not sign up personal users asa Homemade Gourmet distributor but recommend our preferred customer program instead.

And, it is about 'them'. I try to cater to each person but have found a simple phone conversation very important even if they end up doing HG only part-time. I also realize that time is money (and if actually mailing information that is more money) - so you may just want to check to see what your return on your investment would be based on some of those factors. I NEVER just mail a packet via mail without some type of correspondence prior to mailing it out. But that is me just personally.

Great question!Edited by: fraubek
Old 12-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

Sometinmes they are at work and not ABLE to make that phone clal, but can send out an e-mail from their work computer.

Maybe they are better at remembering things when wrtten out. I know I am. I can take to someone on the phone and ask them questions. Then forget the answers. If I have it written dowen, I can go over it more thoroughly.

Remember, it's about them and what makes THEM most comfortable.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:36 PM
WAHM Master

Well I understand both of your opinions on this, I have to say as someone with a hearing disorder I prefer to do everything by emails, though I will call someone if they request I do so. I am upfront with them about my disorder though so they understand and if they don't mind speaking up and/or repeating themselves on occassions I am glad to use the phone. Once I have my h/a's it'll be better.

Also I know alot of people who like emails because they are uninterupted by kids, noise, dogs, tv or other people in general in the house. This goes both ways for the consultant or the person interested.

I guess it just really depends on the person. I had a lady who I once contacted about abusiness and put that I wanted to get info via email and it was over a month before she contacted me and then it was by phone. She continued to call and call and I never answered it and finally she stopped. I never got the info I requested nor signed up.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Awesome WAHM

I would prefer to talk to the person, so I usually make an initial email with general information and then request to set up a time to chat. I usually try a couple times and then I may call once to at least confirm they received the emails. Sometimes, email ends up in spam.

Also, I was the person that emailed for information and only ended up talking to my mentor after I basically signed up. I felt more comfortable. And, I was serious about the business- so you shouldn't judge because someone wants to email. It is all about personal preference!
Old 12-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Super WAHM

Hi Frances,
Thanks for sharing how email was so valuable to you.

I had that same instance as I have a person on my team who is deaf. In thatinstance, we have really found ways to get information to her. We have a service that interprets info for her over a screen. It is GREAT! In that instance, email has been beautiful. She did come to one of our trainings prior to signing up. I wanted to make sure she felt completely at ease so i was able to find an interpretetor for her.

However, like I said, most of my other sponsoring appts have been via phone. Plus, it's a lot quicker and easier than typing everything. Otherwise, I would be on email all day

What I shared is typically what I do - but of course there are always exceptions to the rules (just like Nicole shared). She has a good business going!

Happy New Years everyone!

My twins are mobile now (9 1/2 months) and so now email is becoming even more difficult

I am hiring someone to assist with my kids in 2008!! That is one of my new business goals. Sometimes, I think working at home is harder as we are juggling two hats I want to have some more free time to meet with my team members and potentials during the week that are local to me.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:11 PM
WAHM Master

I think everyone is different and you really have to go with the flow and do what's most comfortable for the potential recruit/customer. I totally understand both sides, but when it comes down to it, like Bama & Charlee mentioned, we don't know what their reasons may be. I also don't think it's fair to dismiss someone as not serious just because he/she wants to communicate via email initially. I enrolled and only spoke with my sponsor after signing up and several emails later. I'm like Charlee. I'm a very visual person and like things written down and in front of me. It makes it easier to go over the info when things are quiet and I'm not distracted and trying to keep an eye on my little one.

I think the best thing to do if you're more comfortable on the phone and your prospect isn't, is to send some basic info by email and request a good time to chat for just a few minutes. You could explain that you want to answer all questions to the best of your ability and that's much easier for you to do by phone. Ensure her there is absolutely no pressure, just friendly info.

Hope that helps! I'm sure many people have experience the same thing.

Jenn
Old 12-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Super WAHM

WOW!! Thanks for all the quick responses. You've all made me feel better about communicating via email with a potential recruit. I'm interested to keep hearing what anyone else does in this situation.

I still prefer to communicate over the phone or in person, but if email is best for the potential recruit, I definitelyfeel better about providing somedetailsthrough emailand then trying to set up a phone appointment.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:56 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Due to my insanely busy schedule it is easier for me to do most everything through email.. just my personal preference.. all my team mates know to drop me an email and I will give them a call if they need to talk over the phone (I am way quicker on email then phone most days - hehe)..

I do most all my communications for my team through email - this way I have an archive backup of everything I have done. I have had to go back and look up information in the past and find it very helpful that I had a backup saved of the communication.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Awesome WAHM

One idea to save some time is for the consultant to create a FAQ email and send that out to prospects who email for further info. Then you can also say for further details or specific questions, please call.

I know I prefer communicating via email as I have everything written down (to help remember) and also I can take my time to gather my thoughts for a reply.

-Gabrielle