Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 03:12 PM
WAHM Regular

I hope it's o.k. to post this. I just hosted a Lia Sophia party and earned approx. $700 in free jewelry and am thinking of joining as I have a great start to my starter kit. I knowsomeone who is also interested in selling jewelry and is leaning towards Silpada since she had a party and earned a good start to a starter kit. I'm just curious as to what your experience has been with either of these companies.

Thank you.
Nancy
www.southernlivingathome.com/nancysdesigns

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Awesome WAHM

Hi Nancy, while these are both jewelry companies, they are totally
different. I would simply research both companies thoroughly and then
choose which one you think will work for you. I did some research on
jewelry companies but overlooked some very important points before I
joined one of them. After joining and then finding out more about how
the company worked it ended up not working for me.

Look at all angles of the business:

-what is the initial sign up cost and does the kit give you everything you need to get started right away

-how parties are submitted

-do you get to pay yourself first or do you have to submit all money and wait for a check

-what is your profit on shows

-how does the hostess program work and who pays for it

-what are the shipping costs

-what is the shipping time

-are there a lot of back orders

-how do you become active in the business and stay that way

-are you considered a consultant as soon as you submit your agreement

-what is the residual income plan of both companies

-are there minimum orders

-what is considered a qualifying party for hostess credit

-can you take individual orders before you submit your first party

-can you take internet orders

-how much are web sites if offered

-what is the warranty on the jewelry

-are there a lot of returns do to breakage

Probably the most important question is, which line of jewelry do you
like the best and think you will be able to sell to others? This is
very important because if you don't love the product, you will have
trouble promoting it.

Good luck with your decision, the jewelry business can be very fun!

Old 10-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Raefabian4

I have never had a silpada show, I have seen their catalog and do like their stuff. The only comparison I can give you is: I had a gal at a show I was doing (I am a manager with lia sophia) book a party with me and canceled the silpada show she had already booked. She actually asked if we could book it on the same day she had booked with the silpada lady, so that is what we did. She wanted to book with lia sophia because we had more of a variety of jewelry for all different tastes. I wish you much success in whatever you decide. You do have an excellent start with all that FREE jewelry!!
Old 10-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Raefabian4

Hi Nancy, while these are both jewelry companies, they are totally different. I would simply research both companies thoroughly and then choose which one you think will work for you. I did some research on jewelry companies but overlooked some very important points before I joined one of them. After joining and then finding out more about how the company worked it ended up not working for me.
Look at all angles of the business: Now to answer some of these questions regarding lia sophia. Nancy, I hope this helps you!

-what is the initial sign up cost and does the kit give you everything you need to get started right away $99 starter kit which includes 12 pieces of jewelry, jewelry tote bag, display tray, blue tablecloth and all the paperwork supplies you need for your first 5-6 shows. (you will need to get more catalogs though)
-how parties are submitted Your starter show is submitted via fax by your recruiter since she is the one that did your show. You will be issued an advisor # and password and will then be able to do all your orders on-line.
-do you get to pay yourself first or do you have to submit all money and wait for a check All money is submitted to the company via a credit card on-line and you are issued a paycheck the following week. There is a week of holding just like a "real" job.
-what is your profit on shows 30% as an advisor and 40% as a manager
-how does the hostess program work and who pays for it Hostess earns 20% of her show saleswith a qualified show of at least $250 OR 40% if she has 2 bookings and 10 orders (hostess pays $15) she also earns 4 hostess bonus items at $15 (unless otherwise noted) and 2 half price items. There is a $6.00 fee that is taken out of the advisors check for any show that the hostess uses her 4 hostess bonus items, otherwise, no fees.
-what are the shipping costs $3.80 per order irregardless of the size and that goes for all of the supplies we purchase as advisors!!
-what is the shipping time I get my supplies or jewelry samples in about 3-5 days and my hostesses have been getting their orders in a week.
-are there a lot of back orders I have been with the company for a year and only every couple of shows will I have 1 or 2 items on backorder. If something is on backorder, it is usually received in about 2-3 weeks after the original shipment to the hostess.
-how do you become active in the business and stay that way $250 in sales in a quarter is what makes you active with the company. You will just not receive the monthly "facets" mailer and you won't be able to use your 70% jewelry discount for samples. Once you submit $250 in sales at any time, you are considered "active" again.
-are you considered a consultant as soon as you submit your agreement YES! your starter show will be submitted with your agreement and you will have your advisor # and password in about 1-2 days after that.
-what is the residual income plan of both companies You get paid 5 levels deep with lia sophia. I as a Unit Manager earn 10% on my teams retail sales, then it is 5%, , 5%, 2%, 2% with monthly bonuses as well.
-are there minimum orders No!
-what is considered a qualifying party for hostess credit $250
-can you take individual orders before you submit your first party Since you have your starter show out of the way, you may start taking individual orders now!! They are considered "direct sales orders" and will be sent directly to the customer.
-can you take internet orders YES! I have gotten 4 internet orders this past month!!
-how much are web sites if offered $9.95 a month
-what is the warranty on the jewelry LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE on all jewelry!!
-are there a lot of returns do to breakage First of all, all returns and exchanges are done between the customer and the company which is one less thing for us, as advisors to worry about. In the year I have been with the company, I personally have not had a single piece of jewelry break or come to me damaged. I have had several customers (approx. 4) in the year I have been in business, return items. I hope this gives you a better picture about lia sophia, the correct way.
Edited by: lia sophia girl
Old 10-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Awesome WAHM

Personally, i like lia sophia's price point and variety better.. silpada is pricey for me.. I have had items break but as long as you keep a receipt they replace it..you just pay shipping and $5. I've considered joining it myself!

debEdited by: ewedeb
Old 10-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Raefabian4

Just thought I would fill in the blanks from Cheryl's post regarding lia sophia! Hope it helps!Edited by: lia sophia girl
Old 10-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Super WAHM

I am a rep with Silpada. I looked at many jewelry companies and took over three months to decide. Every company has its own nuances and it is never a comparison between apple and apples. Take your time, ask many questions, research and go with your passion. The above questions are excellent. Definately interview your sponser. Your sponser is someone very important in the success of your business. Also ask aboutthe cost of catalogs, forms and other expenses that you may need. This message board has provided me with a great deal of information and support.

Good luck!
Old 10-09-2005, 06:03 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Well, I am currently a new rep for lia sophia if that tells you anything about my opinion. However, before I became a rep, I attended a Silpada party. This is how I saw the situationa and chose lia sophia; While Silpada uses sterling silver, and that is a precious metal, it tarnishes easily and I don't have the time to constantly clean it. I also felt that the Silpada jewelry was a little pricey for my budget. Since becoming a rep for lia sophia at the end of July, I have now had two hostesses cancel Silpada parties to have lia sophia shows!
Old 10-09-2005, 06:24 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Well,

I had not seen Silpada when I signed up with Lia Sophia just over a month
ago. The Silpada jewelry is lovely, but I coud not tell how much it cost. I
will take everyone's word that it is pricier than Lia Sophia.

Silpada charges $199 for certifcation (and I do not know what that
means), and they offer several kits where you can get jewelry at 50% off
retail prices. Their most popular kit is $850.

Lia Sophia's is $99 and includes 12 pieces of jewelry (approx $400 retail
value), and comes with jewelry case, package of catalogs, order forms
invitations, manual, etc. Catalogs cost $7.50 for a package of ten,
invitation postcards cost $4 for a packge of 100, and all other supplies
are very reasonably priced as well. Lia Sophia University Online is free
forall Aviors. Great information on how the jewelry is made, etc.

Hostesses with Silpada can earn up to 30% in free jewelry,and $50 in
future free jewelry (with 2 bookings held within 90 days...If I read it
correctly!) and Hostesses with Lia Sophia can earn 40% in free jewelry plus
2 half-priced items and 4 Hostess Bonus items (anything in the catalog
under $100 for $15, and otherwise are marked "Hostess Bonus Price").
That's the basics.

I saw a Cookie Lee catalog, and it did nothing for me. I had a very
different reaction after viewing the Lia Sophia catalog, but still did not
make a decision until after seeing the jewelry for myself.Simply put, I
love the jewelry, the Lifetime Replacement Guarantee, getting paid weekly
is a really nice perk.

I am sure you would do well with either company,

Nondy

Old 10-10-2005, 08:49 AM
WAHM Regular

I am not sure of those two companies as I have not been to a party for either but I sell for Premier Designs and it is an awesome company. I make 50% right up front and my average shows are now around $650, so I can leave with $325 in my pocket. I don't have to pay for the hostess benefits so my profit is my profit.

Thanks, Michelle

Closed Thread