Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:51 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Mentor Dilemma

I am currently a DIW....should fly tomorrow. I hadn't heard of OO until I received an online party invite through a friend on Facebook. The designer holding the online party is new herself....only 2-3 weeks into the business.

I was just let go of my salaried job today. Origami Owl has taken on a new meaning to me as of this news. While I knew I would do great numbers, I now have the pressure to make this a job.

I'm a former Marine and am a sucker for loyalty. If it weren't for this gal's party, I wouldn't have heard of it. Should I sign up tomorrow with her as my mentor, or choose one that has experience and already has a team/plan in place?

All thoughts are welcome......
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Super WAHM

Sorry to hear about your job loss.

This is definitely a tough one.

Have you spoken to this other designer at all? Does she even know you are on the waitlist? Do you know if she's looking to build a team and wanting to mentor others? Do you know if she's getting help from her mentor right now?

Ultimately it is your decision on who your mentor is on this journey and you really need to trust your gut on it. Know that if you do end up signing up under her and even if she doesn't mentor you how you'd like to be, then you can still reach out whether upline or sidelines to try to find someone who will help you out. We are all in this together as a team.

Good luck.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:07 PM
WAHM Regular

Amy, I say go with your gut. Your background tells me you won't have trouble seeking assistance or asking question anywhere you believe you can find an answer. You may not feel the need to have a strong "hands on" go-to mentor, or you may be looking for exactly that.

The explosive growth of O2 means most mentors are shiny new little owls themselves. My mentor is brand new as well, and I kinda view our relationship as more of a partnership than mentor/student. We know we're both newbies and are excited to take the plunge into this booming venture together and we'll share our successes and our failures and our ideas ... all along the way, being each others cheerleader and chief "bouncer-offer-of-ideas"!

So I say go with your gut! Good luck!

Tammy
Old 02-04-2013, 02:15 PM
WAHM Regular

All good advice so far.......she does know I signed up...she's had great success in her first 3 weeks....has 7 people waiting to sign under her. I don't know who her upline is. I haven't spoke to her on the phone, just through Facebook. She knows I should be flying tomorrow, as she mentioned "list me as your mentor"....I replied that I had already used her number to sign up...she replied that they would ask again. This was just before I was let go from my salaried position. My husband doesn't have a full-time job and I've always been the one to recreate myself and find jobs to pay the bills. We've had high times and now....low times.

I'm babbling now........It's never really worked out for me by going with my loyalty (another long story) but it's in my "being". With that said, I have two daughters and a husband to support and I know that I can make Origami Owl my lifelong dream business.

I'm wondering if I should be smart this time and pick a mentor who can offer me the details I need...the help I need.....people here have sent me documents, pictures, advice.....
Old 02-04-2013, 02:15 PM
WAHM Regular

Location: Currently in FL but being a military wife we move all over

AmyInVail, I am in a similiar situation myself. I never heard of Origami Owl until an out of state friend of mine posted on FB about her just signing up as an independent designer with a picture of a locket. I signed up for the waitlist 15 minutes later without even knowing who her upline was or anything about the company. In these last few weeks I was lucky enough to discover her mentor was with Origami Owl since day 1 and she has helped answer a lot of the questions I had that my friend being so new herself couldn't answer.

I am an Army wife so I know too about loyalties. I knew no matter the outcome that I would stick with my mentor because it was just the right thing to do in my opinion. If it wasn't for her I would not have known about Origami Owl at all. Even though she just started herself, she has already signed up 2 other DIWs! She is motivated to take this seriously. I however am making sure I do what I can to educate myself, especially since I don't have anyone nearby here in Origami Owl. I think once I am in and can go through the training offered through the back office I should be able to do it no matter what my upline knows.

I do think however that it is a personal decision and if like JodiO says this person hasn't been communicative with you or even knows you signed up for the waitlist using her number or anything, you might not really have to feel like you owe them anything.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Susan Rae

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyinVail View Post
I am currently a DIW....should fly tomorrow. I hadn't heard of OO until I received an online party invite through a friend on Facebook. The designer holding the online party is new herself....only 2-3 weeks into the business.

I was just let go of my salaried job today. Origami Owl has taken on a new meaning to me as of this news. While I knew I would do great numbers, I now have the pressure to make this a job.

I'm a former Marine and am a sucker for loyalty. If it weren't for this gal's party, I wouldn't have heard of it. Should I sign up tomorrow with her as my mentor, or choose one that has experience and already has a team/plan in place?

All thoughts are welcome......
Oh wow I'm so sorry to hear that. One of my team members husbands was laid off the same week she flew. Although she was nervous about the future it made her more determined to succeed with Origami Owl.

How well did you connect with her. Did you talk to her about signing up? Has she sent your info thru the mail, done any training, added you to the team fb pages, given you webinars to watch. I'd say if you answer yes to some of those I would stay with her. If you only attended the party & you maybe talked about signing up but she didn't spend time with training etc then chose whoever you feel comfortable with.

I'm a team leader & I make sure that I provide what they need to be successful when it comes time for them to fly. That way they wouldn't think of going to another mentor. If I don't do a good job mentoring then its my fault if someone goes with someone else. That's how I look at it.

Don't hesitate to ask any of your fellow designers or the ones in this forum.

I'll pray for your family & I know that O2 will be a bright spot for you.

Susan :-)
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM
WAHM Regular

My mentor is new too, only a couple weeks into it, but I am so happy to help her get her team started! I have complete faith in her as a mentor. Plus, my upline has a facebook group and I know how to contact them all. So if I ever need answers that I cant get from my mentor (which probably wont happen because she jumps through hoops to get me answers!), I can always get to my upline. Its all up to you, and how much faith you have in your mentor
Old 02-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Awesome WAHM

Oh Amy that is tough! I'm so sorry you are going through this! Go with your gut girl! If you feel someone else is better suited for you and your business then go with them! You want as much help as you can to get your business going please let us know how things go! I think you will do great
Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 AM
WAHM Regular

Good advice by all! What is your gut telling you, Amy?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:33 PM
WAHM Regular

I am in such a funk right now....after being let go yesterday. At my age, I can say that I've never been laid off or let go ever. It's done a real number to me.

I have two daughters. I've held some horrible jobs to provide for them, while my husband started a business. We sold the business followed our oldest to college from Colorado to Florida....only for everyone (except me) to not like it.......we returned to Colorado 4.5 months later...but we are under a non-compete. I took a job property managing short term rentals...did a kick butt job.....only to be told I wasnt bringing on new homes fast enough and my region not profitable enough.

One thing is for certain - I've always done the right thing. I've been burned. I thought I believed in Karma....but, guess I believe in God and my family more. It's going against every grain of my being - but I'm going to pick a successful OO mentor versus the newbie who helped me discover the company.

I've never gone against the grain of my fiber.....but, it's go time in my family right now....and my kids come before trying to do right by a person I've never met and knows less about this company than I do.

Please don't judge me........now, excuse me while I sort through all of you and determine which one of the existing rockstars on here I'm going to choose in a little while when I get my invitational email!!!!!!