Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:38 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Questions about online tutoring

Hello,

I am new to the forum and have explored the threads on tutoring.

I was wondering if there is a resource or if someone knows of online tutoring jobs that don't require upfront costs?

My husband has gone through several online applications but in the end there is always a cost associated before starting.

Thank you for any assistance.

Sunflower
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2014, 02:09 PM
Grand WAHM

Maybe looking at sites like K12 and online colleges like the University of Phoenix would be a good start?

K12 | Online Public School, Online High School, Online Private School, Homeschooling, and Online Courses options

Online Schools, Classes, Degree Programs - University of Phoenix

Does he have an advanced degree or his teaching certification? That would be a huge plus if he does.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Registered WAHM

Smile

Thank you for responding.

He is a substitute teacher part-time and has been a tutor for many years. He doesn't have a Masters - just a Bachelors.

He has gone through so many sites and slogged through their application process only to be told he would have to pay at the very end of the process. He doesn't want to go through another site like that again. So I would like to see if anyone knows if there are sites that you don't have to pay to start tutoring.

For example, does TutorABC require upfront costs or Talkool? What about ESL sites? A lot of these sites don't have that information upfront - of course.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:51 PM
WAHM Regular

I have taught online ESL for about 4 years. Most companies do not require you to pay anything. I have not ever been charged.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:48 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower2009 View Post
Thank you for responding.

He is a substitute teacher part-time and has been a tutor for many years. He doesn't have a Masters - just a Bachelors.

He has gone through so many sites and slogged through their application process only to be told he would have to pay at the very end of the process. He doesn't want to go through another site like that again. So I would like to see if anyone knows if there are sites that you don't have to pay to start tutoring.

For example, does TutorABC require upfront costs or Talkool? What about ESL sites? A lot of these sites don't have that information upfront - of course.

Thanks!
Hi Sunflower,
It sounds like your husband might be looking at sites that are more like tutoring marketplaces than actual job offers? The marketplaces might require a fee to post a profile but the upshot is that you can charge what you like. I agree that many of the ESL companies don't require a fee (but the are also paying very low and requiring hours that might be good for everyone).

Just as an FYI, someone here mentioned applying to the University of Phoenix online. I would recommend against it. I was working for them for many years and a vast majority of the adjunct instructors got canned because they are trying to meet federal requirements now and basically hired a small number of full-time faculty (and to my knowledge, are not looking for any more full timers) to take over the courses that part-time adjuncts were teaching. The handful of courses they did not move to full-timers are so few and far between that many of those who are approved to teach them are not getting them. I am technically approved to teach a course that was not taken over by full timers but I haven't had an offer to teach that course in over 2 years.

So it might be a waste of time for him to apply, though he can certainly try.

Djuna
Old 03-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Teaching Engish

Here are a couple of tutoring companies that I have worked for and there has never been a charge.

tutorabc.com

englisheverywhere.com

All the best to you.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:47 PM
WAHM Regular

Tutor.com does not have any application costs.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:49 PM
WAHM Regular

you should not be charged for that unless you want to use a certain online tutoring tool. Try to find some free resources and get started. good luck.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:54 AM
WAHM Regular

I would be wary of any company that requires payment in order to get the job. It sounds fishy. If it's a marketplace, where he has to pay a listing fee, that's different. But he should be aware of what he's getting into with marketplaces - it is different from having a FT position.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:26 AM
Registered WAHM

Default Teaching Online

I have been teaching online with TutorABC now for about 6 months and really enjoying it. No cost upfront to get started. I just needed to fix up a few technical problems and then I started teaching. Sunflower2009, this may be a good option for your husband because he can be very flexable with his schedule.