Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Super WAHM

Default Do you know of any online tutoring sites that don't require a degree or a certificate

Hi. I would like to know if you know of any online tutoring sites that don't require a degree or a teaching certificate? Going back to school to get a Bachelor's is on my agenda, but not without the proper funds. If you know of anywhere, please pm me. Thanks. I do realize there is a list posted, but most of those places require a 4 year degree or a teaching certificate.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2013, 07:38 PM
WAHM Regular

Tutor.com doesn't require a degree, although if you don't have one, you'll need to be enrolled in a degree-granting program (they will verify this as part of your background check).

What subjects could you tutor? I've been with tutor.com for a while and might be able to offer you advice if you are interested in applying.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:39 AM
Super WAHM

I am interested in applying to tutor in English and writing. I'm not enrolled in a degree program yet. I can't do that until I get the money to go to school.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:20 AM
WAHM Regular

The humanities (English, social studies, etc) are probably the most difficult subjects to get hired in - from what I've heard, they always have a waitlist and it can be months before they need to draw from it. There's just an overabundance of tutors in those areas. Plus most of the students who seek help on tutor.com are looking for help in quantitative subjects.

If you don't have a degree/certificate, I would try to enroll part-time in a local CC so that you are making progress towards some type of degree. You may even be able to do this online as well. An online course might cost you a few hundred dollars.

My impression of their hiring process is that they are *generally* more interested in what you can do (as demonstrated in your interview and subject test scores) as opposed to what your educational background is.

It would greatly help your application if you could also tutor some other mid-level maths such as Algebra, Algebra II or Trigonometry. Those areas probably aren't an "insta-hire" like physics or statistics would be, but there is definitely a demand for tutors in those topics.

Last edited by Infinity; 04-04-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Super WAHM

Thanks so much for posting this information! I'll be sure to look into it. Chalksy sounds promising.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Super WAHM

Infinity, thanks for your suggestions. I was pretty good at Algebra. I could probably tutor in that. That's actually what I used to tutor in when I was in high school.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Registered WAHM

Hi deannatroupe,

You can try TutorUniverse.com. It's a marketplace where anyone can list services and teach online.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Super WAHM

Thanks. I will check that one out as well.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Tutor Universe

I am a current member of Tutor Universe, which is an online social marketplace and it is great! You are able to sign up to teach or to be taught in any subject through the virtual white board and camera. You are able to reach users throughout the world and it is a great way to get fast and easy help or to tutor from your own home!
Old 05-01-2013, 06:20 AM
Registered WAHM

never thought of this... online tutoring sites that don't require certificate? I think I have to try this..