Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:35 PM
WAHM Regular

Smile With Master's Degree-what will be your pay????

I wish I could be more definite right now but I can't. I am just a couple of weeks shy of gaining my Master's Degree and am making $8.50/hr plus bonuses. This is my story right now in life.

I really see this job and this field as a self-employment field. When you are self-employed, you can set your own wage. Of course, before you become self-employed, you need to market yourself, set up your own business, think of a business plan, and you need to have people recommend you. Finding a client base that will pay your desired wage is a matter of digging, searching, networking, and providing exception lessons for students.

I have met a man who teaches Korean students and he makes around $300/hr. He doesn't teach one or two students at that rate, he's has his own business and he charges each student a fee, teaches them in a large group of 50 students, and therefore, makes the big money. I don't see how that would be possible for me to do every day. I prefer to establish relationships with students, to gain their trust, to see what their needs are, to meet those needs. Nevertheless, he has gained the trust of parents and he provides the quality service that those parents desire. During the week, I do tutor one Korean student who is studying to pass her GRE and she tells me stories of how learning English is Korea is very essential for students. In fact, some parents pay up to $1200/month to enroll their child in an English Only Kindergarten. She tells me that having your child learn English is very fashionable and expected in her culture.

You may be able to find work teaching at a university but most universities here in the US require a Doctorate Degree. The pay for university professors varies. What I have seen starts around $45,000.

Look at your own financial needs, look at your life goals, find the amount of money that you need to live on and go from there. Network with others on this forum too, because we do share contacts and information.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2012, 06:49 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankatogirl View Post
I wish I could be more definite right now but I can't. I am just a couple of weeks shy of gaining my Master's Degree and am making $8.50/hr plus bonuses. This is my story right now in life.

I really see this job and this field as a self-employment field. When you are self-employed, you can set your own wage. Of course, before you become self-employed, you need to market yourself, set up your own business, think of a business plan, and you need to have people recommend you. Finding a client base that will pay your desired wage is a matter of digging, searching, networking, and providing exception lessons for students.

I have met a man who teaches Korean students and he makes around $300/hr. He doesn't teach one or two students at that rate, he's has his own business and he charges each student a fee, teaches them in a large group of 50 students, and therefore, makes the big money. I don't see how that would be possible for me to do every day. I prefer to establish relationships with students, to gain their trust, to see what their needs are, to meet those needs. Nevertheless, he has gained the trust of parents and he provides the quality service that those parents desire. During the week, I do tutor one Korean student who is studying to pass her GRE and she tells me stories of how learning English is Korea is very essential for students. In fact, some parents pay up to $1200/month to enroll their child in an English Only Kindergarten. She tells me that having your child learn English is very fashionable and expected in her culture.

You may be able to find work teaching at a university but most universities here in the US require a Doctorate Degree. The pay for university professors varies. What I have seen starts around $45,000.

Look at your own financial needs, look at your life goals, find the amount of money that you need to live on and go from there. Network with others on this forum too, because we do share contacts and information.

Thank you very much! Do Universities hire teachers to teach ONLINE classes? Do you know?

Edit: When I say online classes, I mean classes in which Professors/Teachers give lectures and teach as if in a real classroom?

Last edited by MartezJ; 10-07-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Super WAHM

Hi! I think that many of the tutors in this forum know that the colleges hire online instructors, but those jobs can be difficult to get. If you read some of the older posts on this forum, you'll see that we mention some university jobs sometimes.

Look at some of the job boards, you can try CareerBuilder.com, and search for "adjunct online professors" or simply "online professors". Read the qualifications that they want, and you will find that many of the positions require prior university teaching experience. So, you often need to have several months of experience to teach with an online university in addition to a master's.

It's important that you have a master's in the subject area that you wish to teach. If you want to teach history, you should have a master's in history. If you want to teach English, the master's should be in English. Some subjects have more openings than others.

What about the pay? I read an article the other day, stating that the pay for online adjunct professors is lower than the pay for in-person adjunct professors. I think that online professors have a lot of paperwork and other responsibilities. You can expect to create the course syllabus, grade research papers, administer exams, and hold chat sessions with the students. Of course, you have to read the textbook before your students. I have a master's degree, but I question the pay and the workload. Right now, I'd rather tutor online.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:47 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancewriter View Post
Hi! I think that many of the tutors in this forum know that the colleges hire online instructors, but those jobs can be difficult to get. If you read some of the older posts on this forum, you'll see that we mention some university jobs sometimes.

Look at some of the job boards, you can try CareerBuilder.com, and search for "adjunct online professors" or simply "online professors". Read the qualifications that they want, and you will find that many of the positions require prior university teaching experience. So, you often need to have several months of experience to teach with an online university in addition to a master's.

It's important that you have a master's in the subject area that you wish to teach. If you want to teach history, you should have a master's in history. If you want to teach English, the master's should be in English. Some subjects have more openings than others.

What about the pay? I read an article the other day, stating that the pay for online adjunct professors is lower than the pay for in-person adjunct professors. I think that online professors have a lot of paperwork and other responsibilities. You can expect to create the course syllabus, grade research papers, administer exams, and hold chat sessions with the students. Of course, you have to read the textbook before your students. I have a master's degree, but I question the pay and the workload. Right now, I'd rather tutor online.
Thank you for the information, you are the best! Still, I just am scared, is online tutoring lucrative enough to survive on alone? Even during the summer time? Does it always pay $11.00 an hour?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Super WAHM

No. The jobs do not always pay $11 an hour. Check some of the tutoring job boards for the rates. The previous (helpful) poster suggested esljobsworld.com. You can also try to get your own private students to tutor and charge your own rate. It will take time to build up a good number of students, if you choose that route. As far as the summer is concerned, some of the schools are not in the U.S. and they have a short summer break and a longer winter break. Of course, adult students might need help year-round. It is a good idea to have some other work that you can do as a back-up plan. Some people grade tests, for example.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:58 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankatogirl View Post
If I may share my limited experiences here . . .

I don't make a living teaching online just yet. I do make between $300-$600 a month right now and am gaining valuable experience. Thankfully, my husband's job generates our living expenses right now although there is not much wiggle room in our budget.

Daily, I search these terms to find out about different companies where I can teach English as a Second Language online:
online English teaching
working online as an English teacher
jobs in _____________(insert country) teaching online

I keep modifying my key words to find more resources. So far, the best resources have been Dave's ESL Cafe and ESL World to find out places that are hiring.

I have two interviews next week for one language school based here in the US and another based in Russia.

My advice is to keep digging. I haven't found the magical master list of online teaching jobs so I go to site after site (not too efficient, I know!) As I venture from site to site, I gather general information that I find will help me. For example, almost all the ELL teaching sites require a Bachelor's Degree.

I do know there are plenty of online jobs where you would teach a whole group of students all day long but right now, that is not where I want to be. I want to tutor for a while, mainly due to my health issues.

Any more questions, please ask. I'm not formally recording my thoughts about this process in a blog but have considered doing that. I like to share information and perhaps something I have learned by trial and error may help the next person along.

Wow that's cool. Nice information on online tutors. I can't believe people are earning $300 to $600 per month. I have seen many companies that tell you can earn money but most of them I found is useless.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:23 AM
WAHM Regular

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancewriter View Post
No. The jobs do not always pay $11 an hour. Check some of the tutoring job boards for the rates. The previous (helpful) poster suggested esljobsworld.com. You can also try to get your own private students to tutor and charge your own rate. It will take time to build up a good number of students, if you choose that route. As far as the summer is concerned, some of the schools are not in the U.S. and they have a short summer break and a longer winter break. Of course, adult students might need help year-round. It is a good idea to have some other work that you can do as a back-up plan. Some people grade tests, for example.
When you say grade test what exactly do you mean? Grade test online?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:17 AM
WAHM Regular

Wink

$10 to $12 is less or more depending on your country currently, If you live in Asia, I think it's satisfactory amount, if you take 5 hours of class each days, you can make a enough. But if you are in USA or Canada. Well, i don't have idea. Please someone share some light in my view.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:20 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehasingh View Post
$10 to $12 is less or more depending on your country currently, If you live in Asia, I think it's satisfactory amount, if you take 5 hours of class each days, you can make a enough. But if you are in USA or Canada. Well, i don't have idea. Please someone share some light in my view.
What about Universities classes. Are there online classes that lecture entire groups of students?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartezJ View Post
So what about teachers with Master's degrees? What do they get paid? Are the jobs plentiful?
I actually have a Master's degree, not just a Bachelor's degree and the pay is pretty much the same. However, I don't yet have a TESL certificate (I'm working on that now). So it could be that a TESL certificate plus a Master's will earn me a bit more money.

The jobs for Master's graduates in this field are, I don't think, more than someone with a Bachelor's, since it seems that teaching experience and/or ESL experience/certification is more important. At least, that's what I've found so far.

Djuna

Tags
i love teachers, online tutoring, teaching