Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:42 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Want Tutor business, not tutor job, possible?

I have a situation I hope you all can help with. At you all suggestiion I found a call center job, so THANKS so much. But now I want to earn more per hour during the day. Although I know how to start a home cleaning business from years ago, I think i might be too old now. plus I went back to school and obtained a degree in Management and Computer Systems. I live out in the boonies (want to earn enough to move) and computer jobs are very scarce out here.
What can I do? Is it very hard to start an online tutor business where I can only work from about 10-4? My friend is an online professor but it took her about 1 year to get that job. Is it possible to do this as a business sooner? Which is easiest to sell? ESL tutoring? or tutoring in Computer Software?
After struggling for two years to work at home, I know how many dead ends there can be. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2012, 04:49 AM
WAHM Regular

I would imagine that it might be problematic to succeed with an online tutoring business, at least right away. You could try putting some ads on Craigslist and building your website with something like Wordpress to get started and see how it goes. I think that it might be tough to find tutoring for the hours you're looking for, though, since I think most tutoring takes place during the evening hours.

As for ESL tutoring, I think a lot of people think it's just so easy to get into, but you do need some background and experience in either ESL or a related field. I have a Master's in English and I am still struggling to learn how to teach English. So it's not that easy. I know many online companies make it seem like "all you have to do is have a conversation with students in Asia/Russia/Whereever", but, honestly, companies who take that attitude will usually pay very low and will not last very long. Even a short lesson based on English conversation has to have some structure to it and you have to know how to guide students, get them talking, and correct their mistakes, as well as explain why those mistakes are mistakes (something that is tough for native English speakers, since we usually know what the problem is but not how to explain why it's a problem :-D).

I'm not saying it's not doable, but it's a lot harder than it seems.

You might check out sites like Myngle and the like - they basically offer a space for online tutors and help with advertising and some even give whiteboard access and take a small percentage of the profits. You set the hours for tutoring and the fee that you take.

Djuna
Old 07-13-2012, 08:07 AM
WAHM Regular

Default great advice, thanks!

[

You might check out sites like Myngle and the like - they basically offer a space for online tutors and help with advertising and some even give whiteboard access and take a small percentage of the profits. You set the hours for tutoring and the fee that you take.

Djuna[/QUOTE]

Might be easier to do face to face tutoring at first, i guess.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:56 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysawfan View Post
[

Djuna
Might be easier to do face to face tutoring at first, i guess.[/QUOTE]

I agree, ladysawfan. I would think that once you've done it face-to-face, you can also get some endorsements from students you've worked with that could help you get online clients as well.

Djuna
Old 07-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysawfan View Post
plus I went back to school and obtained a degree in Management and Computer Systems. I live out in the boonies (want to earn enough to move) and computer jobs are very scarce out here.
I'd check out sites like Monster.com for entry-level tech jobs that offer "100% telecommute." (there are a growing number of these w/ this option.) Also, contact a technical recruiter who might be able to find positions for you (free to you-they get paid from the company they place you with). Thought I'd throw that out there since you don't seem closed off to the job possibilities but can't find any local to your area.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:44 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Thanks i will try

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahmt View Post
I'd check out sites like Monster.com for entry-level tech jobs that offer "100% telecommute." (there are a growing number of these w/ this option.) Also, contact a technical recruiter who might be able to find positions for you (free to you-they get paid from the company they place you with). Thought I'd throw that out there since you don't seem closed off to the job possibilities but can't find any local to your area.
i got a phone job. but now i want to make Real Money!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Banned

Default Content Writing

Hello,

As it is not possible doing tutoring for the hours you mentioned. You can work or start your own business in content writing in educational field. You can start your own website and offer the information for fees or you can sell CDs in local schools or online or you can assist the student through email. Mentioning just possibilities.

Best luck for your future plans.

radha
Old 10-08-2012, 06:13 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Jobs available from overseas students

Hello,

I saw your post about the hours that you'd like to work (from 10-4) and I would like to suggest that you try finding students that are from overseas locations.

For example, I tutor students from Taiwan in the morning (from 7-11) when it is their evening hours. Now, my goal is to find students from Europe so I can work from 11-3. You just have to start learning about time zones!

I still have a daughter in school so I do want my evenings to be free to spend time with her and my husband.

The online tutoring business is a GLOBAL marketplace. So, give it a whirl and try to find some students from other countries. I'm not becoming rich yet but I am finding steady work with other students whose time zone is much different than mine!