Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 AM
WAHM Regular

Default New online tutoring company

Hello,
I would like to start an online, nationwide tutoring company in the subject areas of French and English language arts. This company would employ tutors who are certified teachers, or native speakers with teaching experience only. Also, there might be a division that has online ESL type conversational classes between French/Canadians and Americans. I am not sure how to go about this. Would I need to register the business? Other than craig's list, how would you go about advertising, recruiting? Is any investment needed? What would you charge/what would be the most feasible- unlimited tutoring for a monthly rate or packages with a certain number of sessions, and would you pay tutors an hourly rate or a percentage? If any one has has had any experience with this type of thing, I would greatly appreciate your advice.
Thank you

Last edited by feefuss; 06-29-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2012, 05:19 AM
WAHM Regular

I think you need to be a little more specific here. What kind of certification/credentials are you looking for? A college degree? US teaching certification?

The more specific you are, the more likely you'll get responses from individuals that meet your qualifications .

Djuna
Old 06-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Registered WAHM

Default New Tutoring Company

If you are planning on doing business under a different name other than your personal name, then you would need to register your business in order for it to be legal. The fee to do this varies from state to state. As far as advertising, Craigslist is actually very effective. If you want to obtain a large number of students, however, some suggestions are handing out business cards, making cold calls, writing articles online, create a well-organized and professional looking website, list your business on websites that offer free business listings, list in the Yellow pages, promote by hosting a local event, instruct a class at a school as a guest, create a blog, send out newsletters, write press releases, join social media sites like LinkedIn and Facebook, advertise in local newspapers.....be creative. Set yourself apart from others by finding something unique to offer and always be sure to respect your clients and given them more in value than you take in money. It is up to you how you would like to pay your tutors. Some tutoring companies pay a percentage and some pay flat rates. It is up to you how you would like to structure it. A final note, if you plan to hire employees, be sure to research the laws in your state regarding employees because this can be a complicated way to start a company if you've never had employees. My suggestion would be to hire your tutors as independent contractors, rather than as employees to start with. Best of Luck!

Amanda R. Becker
President
2Smart Tutoring
www.2smart-tutoring.com
Old 07-01-2012, 05:47 AM
WAHM Regular

Thanks for the tips

Tags
credentialed teacher, native speaker, tutor