Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Registered WAHM

Unhappy Passed TutorABC but has no Personal Video (HELP/ADVICE)

Hi, everyone!

I'm new here. I'm an English graduate and I am an online adjunct English professor (although I am rotated throughout different virtual classrooms). Anyhow, I completed an interview with TutorABC. The interviewer was very nice and I offered to work peak hours. However, there is a HUGE problem.

You see, I was/am an idiot and got the jobs I were applying for mixed up. I did not think TutorABC was a job that required a personal video of you explaining why you want to teach. Now, as I wrote before, I am already an online adjunct English professor. When I log in to TutorABC, I get the following message:

"Welcome to TutorGroup! This concludes the application stage of our recruiting process. Upon favorable review of your application, documentation and video, we'll send you an e-mail with information to start your training process. "

Okay, I bolded the word "video" myself since I don't have one! YIKES! I bet one million dollars that I will lose this job. What do you think? I don't think there is any way I'll make it through because, like an idiot, I forgot a vital component. I could just rip all of my hair out. I even bought the headset they specified and everything. I am so mad at myself. I know I don't have a shot, but some second opinions wouldn't hurt.

I have e-mailed them twice about the situation. I e-mailed the interviewers and the main Human Resources/Recruiting Team.

Anyone want to take a stab at this one?

Be gentle because I already feel like a complete failure and moron.

Thanks!

dasmaedchen
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2012, 05:27 AM
WAHM Regular

I would ask for more details on what video they expect. It might just be a 2 or 3 minute thing introducing yourself, your experience, and what you can do for the students. Employers will usually accept something that you do with a webcam on your computer. My Mac has a program that came with it that makes very simple head-shot videos with the installed webcam and I've used it to make short videos for job applications.

Rather than panic, you might just do a Google search with something like "How to make a video with a [name of your computer] computer". I've found that to be very helpful for me .

Djuna
Old 07-01-2012, 10:52 AM
WAHM Regular

Talking TutorGroup Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmaedchen View Post
Hi, everyone!

I'm new here. I'm an English graduate and I am an online adjunct English professor (although I am rotated throughout different virtual classrooms). Anyhow, I completed an interview with TutorABC. The interviewer was very nice and I offered to work peak hours. However, there is a HUGE problem.

You see, I was/am an idiot and got the jobs I were applying for mixed up. I did not think TutorABC was a job that required a personal video of you explaining why you want to teach. Now, as I wrote before, I am already an online adjunct English professor. When I log in to TutorABC, I get the following message:

"Welcome to TutorGroup! This concludes the application stage of our recruiting process. Upon favorable review of your application, documentation and video, we'll send you an e-mail with information to start your training process. "

Okay, I bolded the word "video" myself since I don't have one! YIKES! I bet one million dollars that I will lose this job. What do you think? I don't think there is any way I'll make it through because, like an idiot, I forgot a vital component. I could just rip all of my hair out. I even bought the headset they specified and everything. I am so mad at myself. I know I don't have a shot, but some second opinions wouldn't hurt.

I have e-mailed them twice about the situation. I e-mailed the interviewers and the main Human Resources/Recruiting Team.

Anyone want to take a stab at this one?

Be gentle because I already feel like a complete failure and moron.

Thanks!

dasmaedchen
I just started working with TutorGroup and made a short video that took me about 8 tries to complete successfully.
TutorGroup clients want to know about you, your teaching experience, your hobbies, and what you can offer them. These students really are serious about having a high quality teacher. In my video, I highlighted my 12 years of ELL teaching experience, my educational qualifications, the levels of students I've taught, and my interests.

This video was right around thirty seconds. So, write out a little script, hook up your web cam and record the video, view it, lather, rinse, and repeat until you get it right.

As to where you upload the video, if you are hired by the company, you will get a teacher profile page where you can upload the video.

So, wait for the e-mail back from TutorGroup to set up some training. Then, you will get more information about this portion of the application process. I could try to send you the link to my video but I don't know that you will be able to access this video.

You will also need to take a picture of yourself in business attire against a white background that you will also upload to your profile page once you get hired.

So, not to worry, I think they are just busy right now. I have the name of one of the hiring managers who trained me and I can pass that along to you with her e-mail if you like. Just PM me.

I like this job so far, pretty high expectations but really not a lot of prep work. I've made a few bonus with the work and will net around $275 for the first month of work.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:15 AM
WAHM Regular

Thanks, mankatogirl, for the information. TutorABC is one company I am keeping an eye out for. I think I tried to sign on a while back but the system rejected me because it said my interest connection wasn't fast enough (which I don't understand, since my connection speed was showing that it met their requirements). I was working on a Mac, though, and I know they require a PC. I do have a new PC now, so I might try again with them .

Djuna
Old 07-03-2012, 07:09 PM
WAHM Regular

Yes, you do need a fast internet connection to work with them. I did change internet providers since my previous internet connection wasn't fast enough. They need the connection to be consistent since the video of your lesson is broadcast thousands of miles away. They actually pinged my IP address about six times before they considered that my internet connection was stable enough.

There are a few hoops to go through before you start with the company. Just remember that these students are SERIOUS about learning English. Don't mess around, be professional, get right to the teaching, focus on the subject matter, answer all questions and correct all grammar and pronunciation mistakes.

If you can do all that, you will do fine with TutorGroup! Starting my second month, can't complain about the hours, the workload is fine, the support is awesome. Every time you are online, you must sign in with Microsoft Messenger so you can get instant online help with a quick note to the support staff.

With all new jobs, a bit of a learning curve but stick with it and you will enjoy this job!