Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Registered WAHM

Default A couple of questions about tutor.com

Hi! I'm new to the site, and have a few questions for anyone that has experience with tutor.com. I have a BS in Civil Engineering (2002), completed a certification program in high school math (2004), but never started teaching because I started having kids and wanted to stay home with them. I think tutor.com would be a perfect way for me to earn some extra money while gaining experience for the teaching career I plan on having once all my kids are in school. I am wondering, though, with no teaching experience, am I going to be at a huge disadvantage while trying to get hired by this company? I'm very worried about the mock tutoring session - I feel like I could be really good at this, but I don't quite know what to do yet. Also, when I applied, right away I took all the math exams and passed everything but geometry and calculus. It's been 9 years since I've taken a math class, but I know I can pass once I do a little studying (I had a 100 average in my college calculus 1 class). Are they going to take into account the fact that I initially failed a couple of exams? I know that wasn't smart to take the exams unprepared like that, but I was just so excited I didn't want to wait to apply! Oh, by the way I'm currently wait listed because they only need tutors in calculus and statistics right now.

I'd really appreciate any pointers on how to get hired by them!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2012, 03:58 AM
WAHM Regular

Beats me. I passed the exams (quite difficult!), but just got rejected after the mock session, with no evaluation reason as to why, or no development to become better. I suppose that they figure that tutors are just "naturals".

I have a hunch that just as in every other field of work, there are so many educated, qualified folks who are unemployed that these tutoring employers are extraordinarily picky.

It is a nasty, brutish time to be an intellectual laborer (or any laborer.)

Last edited by swampwiz; 03-20-2012 at 04:01 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Registered WAHM

Well at least you got up to the mock session stage. I registered, successfully passed three of the exams in areas where they said the needed tutors on, got an email of congratulations and to proceed to the writing session, but when I went to do that the next day it said the application had been unsuccessful. It also said they had sent me an email about it when I never did.

I was very confused by this, a friend of mine that also applied told me about a very similar experience with them too.

So I decided to contact tutor.com about this and try to get some sort of explanation. I had to wait a long time for an answer and then they simply said they were not hiring at the moment, and that is why it was rejected. That is the only explanation they gave, which is kind of lame because they are clearly still accepting applications. Something very weird is happening there and I can't understand why they can't be honest with their reasons.